HELP! ndstation saves deleting, edge 2.0, 3 in 1 EZflash

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by pikoko, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    hi, I've been using my Edge DS flashcart in conjunction with an ez flash 3 in 1 slot 2 to play gba and gbc games on my DS lite.

my current method is using ndstation 1.1 to make a .nds of gba games to play from their own folder on my microsd card. this was working fine until I started playing with a rom of super mario advance 4 which had save game issues. I got a fixed version and was able to save despite the "save game corrupted message" it was still loadable.

my problem arises here - after saving a game of mario advance 4 and then turning off my DS, turning it back on, and trying to play my .nds of golden sun, the save file had been erased (or just wouldn't load? it only let me start a new game.) I started a new game, saved, and repeated the process and it happened again.

I changed to manually ips patching my .gba of mario advance 4 before making a new .nds of it now, and used 1.2.1 of ndstation hoping the save bug might have been related to the note in the readme for 1.1 about NOS saves and PSRAM saves getting disabled when switching between the 2 types of games. However, now when I tried to load the nds made with 1.2.1 I just have the summer coding splash and it doesn't load the game. :S

can anyone help me with any of the above issues? It's driving me MAD losing all my saves!

EDIT: my 8gb microsdhc is also formatted FAT32, although I had no problems with it until now, so I doubt that's the issue.

I also usually use psram option in ndstation and boot from my main slot 1 edge os menu, but a few of my games are over 16 mb.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is called manually SRAM patching your GBA games before running it through ndstation.

You don't IPS patch a game, IPS patching is for modding the game.

3. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    so I should use something like gbata to sram patch all of my gba games, or just ones over a certain size? I knew of the process, I just wasn't clear when I had to SRAM patch. Thanks for the help!

the ips patch was just one someone made to hopefully patch the super mario advance 4 file, because apparently it only works with a 128k flash saves... will SRAM patch fix that too?

I'm only a user, not a programmer, so I only have a very basic knowledge of the terminology with gba and nds files, I appreciate the assistance. will 1.1 of ndstation be ok to use even with the psram / NOS save issue? if not, does 1.2.1 solve that bug, and if so, how can I use it and not have it just display the splash and not play the game?

4. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    GBATA will work for what you want to do. you only had the words wrong.

You probably want to use something else than ndstation if you replace the 3in1, it is not being worked on anymore and doesn't work on a 3in1+ if you get one.

I don't use ndstation all too much other than the inital tests comparisons I did. If your waiting for any fix in an update, your going to be sadly waiting for forever.

You can try another loader like gbaldr or gba exploader, both can be found in the first link in my sig. These 2 loaders have better auto SRAM patching than ndstation does which has none.

5. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    I just used ndstation for ease of use, having a .nds to run from my menu without worrying about correctly configuring gbaldr (which I have on my harddrive but haven't used). The gbaldr readme has a bunch of notes about 256 character limitations and whatnot. If I wanted to use that however, would I still have to SRAM patch? Which is simpler in your opinion, gbaldr or gba exploader? I'll check both out in my free time. I assume I just keep the .gba files in the same folder on my sd card for gbaldr/gba exploader. I've checked out rudolph's exploader before, but I was unclear on how to install it what with the japanese text.. which version would I use. 0.58b, or 0.58b0 (b0 said something about a NOR fix?) I use lameboy for GB/C.

could there be a compatibility issue with my EDGE slot 1 card and slot 2 EZ flash V 3 in 1? I'm pretty sure they work fine together, but with the amount of products out there it's a bit confusing. I like Edge because it doesn't need DLDI patching.

the issue I encountered this first with was when Super Mario Advance 4 wouldn't run - splash screen would just say " save corrupted" and not launch the game. same thing in a pc emulator. Hopefully an SRAM patch will fix this? I read that it uses a flash 128k save instead. found this patch: http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/bubbz/?syst...p;patch_id=1050 through one of your threads, how does one apply it? The patches on that page seem really useful, but I don't know if I should use them unless I run into problems with the games they're for.

If I do continue using ndstation with my ez flash V, should I just abandon PSRAM setting when converting my games? I don't want my saves disappearing if I play a game that's over 16 mb and then a smaller psram one. :/ And, .nds files converted using 1.2 of ndstation still just show the summer coding splash and nothing else.

sorry for all the disorganized questions, I don't really know where to start. I just want to be able to play DS, gba, and gb games at least with my combo of 3 in 1 slot 2 and edge in slot 1. Still trying to find the best set up for doing only that. Thank you for your very helpful and detailed threads by the way, they're a great resource. I'll have to unscrew my 3 in 1 to see what version it is, but i think it's one of the newest since I bought it in late 2009 I think.

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Here is a picture on how to install gba exploader it on a edge or cyclo:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Instructions for using it are in the box at the bottom screen in the form of:
    BUTTON : ACTION

BUTTON is what you press
    ACTION is what it does

compatibility issue is not an issue. DLDI is NDS patching, which is automatically taken care of for you.

For patching a IPS file you will need an IPS patcher program. Patches are applied to the gba file. You will need to delete any associated save files otherwise you will have any saving issues continue.

7. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    a bunch of questions again ^^;;

huh, I don't have a, edge_sys folder, I just put my sys file for edge in the root of my sd card. would that work fine? also I notice you have both 58b and 58b0, do you use one for certain games and the other for other specific games? Also, May I ever PM you with screenshots of my sd card and questions?

If I continue to use ndstation, should I stop using the PSRAM conversion since the readme of 1.1 says this:

An important note about mixing PSRAM and NOR ROMs:

* * If you run a NOR ROM, then use a PSRAM ROM, your NOR ROM's
    * * save will no longer be present on the 3-in-1. To get it
    * * back you must run the NOR ROM's flasher again.

also, I was under the impression that if I used a .nds from ndstation the saves would stay on my slot 1 sd card, but maybe I'm wrong.

Basically my plan right now is to patch all my .gba games for SRAM with gbata, then re-convert all the games to .nds through ndstation WITHOUT psram option, and load them and see if I still have save issues. I noticed on one of your help threads there was a note that old slot 2 ex flash 3 - in 1's can lose saves, but mine isn't that used or old, so I don't think it's that (and all of my gba games were .nds from ndstation, I got my slot 2 card mainly for lameboy for use with original gameboy games.

important: also, I play pokemon games - you noted that there should be patching done for all of these in another of your help threads, is this just calling for an sram patch again?

thanks for all the help - the games I've really had problems with are super mario advance 4 - SMB 3 and the pokemon games. X_X after playing SMA 4 my golden sun save was lost as well as castlevania aria of sorrow.

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    What you run in PSRAM mode doesn't affect whats in NOR mode.

You need to manuallly SRAM patch SMA4, pokemon, GS and C:AOS before running it through ndstation.

Get a GBA SRAM patcher from the download section.

9. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    I'd still need to sram patch if I used exploader? You said it had a better "auto" sram patching function. I usually use gbata for sram patching, that would do the trick, right? thanks much for all the help

10. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    your confusing better with perfect, there is still a handful of games that don't autopatch correctly.

11. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    I'll just do them all then :3

12. pikoko
    OP

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    seems aria of sorrow is already SRAM_F_V102 (256Kbit) and gbata refuses to sram patch it. hope that means it's kosher already.