Hardware Help, my GBA SP AGS 101 has white all around the edges

Lampshade

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help, my GBA SP AGS 101 has white all around the edges. For me, this makes my SP nearly unplayable, and I am now looking for a replacement on eBay. If there is any way that I could get rid of the white spots, then please reply.

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_022705.jpg
    IMG_20190608_022705.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,703
Reactions: alivebacon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think I have ever seen haloing that bad on a GBA screen before, much less a 101. Usual causes here are a backlight decides to lose the plot (though that is usually dim spots rather than blown out) or the screen layers are delaminating somehow and the layers that diffuse the light around no longer do.
For the latter then does pressing reasonably firmly on the screen make a difference?

If it is not a device with a bonded touchscreen then there is limited stuff a normal person might be able to do here*, unless it is a simple mechanical wrap at the edge that is coming loose (don't know what goes here). There appear to be a few dead pixels on the sides as well, which could be related or could just be a sign of a bad screen -- at first I thought it might have been a stripe of halo rather than a gradual thing which would be different to what I normally see, but still reasonable. To that end replacement screen time. 101 screens can be found -- many like to upgrade their older SP with one or stick one into an original GBA, or if you can find a 101 with a bad shell or bad motherboard you could do a shell swap/non screen gut swap as appropriate.

*for other devices then some have tried injecting resins into the gaps and it has yielded some improvement, or at least slowed decay, but as far as getting even a 90% screen again you would be lucky. Breaking a screen down into layers and then rebonding everything in some ways is easier, but you will start needing to have dust free environments for that one and cost wise you are not going to beat a replacement screen, or indeed a whole brand new 101.

Lampshade

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my SP for about 13 years, so that might be a contributing factor, considering that I've been playing it since I was an infant. I'm not really good with taking apart electronics, and replacing things in said electronics because I always feel like I'd probably break something in the system, or forget to put a screw back or something. I might just buy a used SP 101 from eBay considering I only have limited options, and because 101 SPs are about $100 used (or less), and sellers usually include a game or something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Screws breeding is a problem many face, happens to me on occasion as well. Minor trick if it is a problem is draw a diagram on paper as you are going and tape the relevant screw in that location as you go down layers. If you want to film the process then you can do that too. Afraid I don't have an email this person/company like we might have had for mod chip installs over the years. As it stands we are still working up to component level diagnostics and repair and GBAs in general have started to creep up in price, especially now you can mod them with 101 screens fairly easily, as before a $5 GBA was easy enough to come by.

Yeah ebay prices for 101s are steep. Most around here don't even look on ebay for them listed as such, or if they do then they watch for the colours they came out in and hope the lister does not know, or trawl the car boot sales/garage sales/swap meets/flea markets and hope that works for them. Our stuff you recently got thread has those on plenty of occasions but they are rare and hard to come by.

Lampshade

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After digging around in eBay for a bit more, I have found some AGS 101s in around the same outside condition as mine, with albeit a better screen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have also found a Zelda Gold version for $110 on eBay that I might just buy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a gold Zelda 101? I thought it was spongebob and pikachu in the US, Europe never had such a design either and Japan never got any 101s. I guess someone could have done a shell or retrofitted a screen but be careful there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr