Hacking Help! My 3DS sound not working after cfw install!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedmg091309131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would check the headphone jack with a ohmmeter and voltmeter where the headphone jack connects to the motherboard of the 3ds.

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you hear sound if you plug in headphones?
No, i don't =[
Any ideas? ='/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would check the headphone jack with a ohmmeter and voltmeter where the headphone jack connects to the motherboard of the 3ds.
Oh, well, it would be a good idea, but it's a software issue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instructions in restoring the DSP system module (only attempt when all else fails)

Do not skip any of these steps. You can mess up your CTRNAND/brick your 3DS if you do. You have been warned.

1. In GodMode9, press the (Home) button, go to Scripts..., and select Backup SysNAND. Make your ######_XX########_sysnand_000.bin image just in case you really screw up in the later steps. Set a copy of that NAND dump aside on your computer and keep another in the gm9/out folder. (Do not skip this step)
  2. Download and install 3DNUS by Dr.hacknick. You'll need .NET Framework v4.6.1 in order for it to run on Windows.
  3. In 3DNUS, download the entire firmware package. Select Pack as CIA, your New/Old 3DS type, and the firmware version and region (ex: 11.7.0-40U). Press BEGIN DOWNLOAD.
  4. You'll want to look for the file named as 0004013000001A02.cia . This is the system module for DSP, which is I believe, more or less, the audio driver for the 3DS NATIVE_FIRM [someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me, please correct me if I'm wrong]. That *.cia should have a CRC32 hash of 8941BE3D, and should be compatible for all regions (JPN, USA, EUR, KOR, TWN???, CHN??) and types (Old, New). For more information about System Titles, go to https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list
  5. Put a copy of 0004013000001A02.cia onto your SD card and go to GodMode9. Do not use FBI to install this CIA.
  6. For that *.cia, select CIA image options... and Mount image to drive. For the 000.0000000C.app, select Copy to 0:/gm9/out.
  7. Go to the gm9/out directory and rename that copy to 0000000c.app by holding the R-shoulder button and pressing (X). Make sure you match the lower case for the letter 'c'.
  8. After you renamed that file, select it again with NCCH image options... and Encrypt file (0:/gm9/out). For system titles, you have to use GodMode9 to encrypt system *.app.
  9. Press (Y) on that file. You should see [CLIPBOARD]... 0000000c.app at top, right corner for the bottom LCD screen.
  10. Go to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/title/00040130/00001a02/content and press (Y). You can choose either Copy path(s) or Move path(s). After punching in the security combo, pick Overwrite file(s) to replace the old 0000000c.app for a new one.
  11. Delete the 0004013000001A02.cia. Press (Start) or (Power) button to reset the 3DS and boot into HOME Menu. Does sound works again?
Optional (for boo boos):
12. In case you made a mistake along the way, use the SysNAND Restore (Safe) option in Scripts... with your ######_XX########_sysnand_000.bin you should have made in step #1.

Reactions: E1ite007

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What were you doing before this happened? Don't you remember?
I just turned my 3DS on to play a game like always.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Instructions in restoring the DSP system module (only attempt when all else fails)

Do not skip any of these steps. You can mess up your CTRNAND/brick your 3DS if you do. You have been warned.

1. In GodMode9, press the (Home) button, go to Scripts..., and select Backup SysNAND. Make your ######_XX########_sysnand_000.bin image just in case you really screw up in the later steps. Set a copy of that NAND dump aside on your computer and keep another in the gm9/out folder. (Do not skip this step)
  2. Download and install 3DNUS by Dr.hacknick. You'll need .NET Framework v4.6.1 in order for it to run on Windows.
  3. In 3DNUS, download the entire firmware package. Select Pack as CIA, your New/Old 3DS type, and the firmware version and region (ex: 11.7.0-40U). Press BEGIN DOWNLOAD.
  4. You'll want to look for the file named as 0004013000001A02.cia . This is the system module for DSP, which is I believe, more or less, the audio driver for the 3DS NATIVE_FIRM [someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me, please correct me if I'm wrong]. That *.cia should have a CRC32 hash of 8941BE3D, and should be compatible for all regions (JPN, USA, EUR, KOR, TWN???, CHN??) and types (Old, New). For more information about System Titles, go to https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list
  5. Put a copy of 0004013000001A02.cia onto your SD card and go to GodMode9. Do not use FBI to install this CIA.
  6. For that *.cia, select CIA image options... and Mount image to drive. For the 000.0000000C.app, select Copy to 0:/gm9/out.
  7. Go to the gm9/out directory and rename that copy to 0000000c.app by holding the R-shoulder button and pressing (X). Make sure you match the lower case for the letter 'c'.
  8. After you renamed that file, select it again with NCCH image options... and Encrypt file (0:/gm9/out). For system titles, you have to use GodMode9 to encrypt system *.app.
  9. Press (Y) on that file. You should see [CLIPBOARD]... 0000000c.app at top, right corner for the bottom LCD screen.
  10. Go to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/title/00040130/00001a02/content and press (Y). You can choose either Copy path(s) or Move path(s). After punching in the security combo, pick Overwrite file(s) to replace the old 0000000c.app for a new one.
  11. Delete the 0004013000001A02.cia. Press (Start) or (Power) button to reset the 3DS and boot into HOME Menu. Does sound works again?
Optional (for boo boos):
12. In case you made a mistake along the way, use the SysNAND Restore (Safe) option in Scripts... with your ######_XX########_sysnand_000.bin you should have made in step #1.
Thanks, i'll try this right now! i really hope this helps! i'll let you guys know if it worked or not ^^

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well.. it didn't worked too.. That's pretty weird, because if the speakers are shot, i could at least use the headphones to listen something, but not even the headphones is working..

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. it didn't worked too.. That's pretty weird, because if the speakers are shot, i could at least use the headphones to listen something, but not even the headphones is working..

Do you have both GBA Virtual Console (not mGBA emulator) and DSiWare -or- DS games?

See if audio works on the AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM, which is separate from NATIVE_FIRM. The 3DS is actually part DSi and Game Boy Advance.

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I used to have, but last year i've formated the 3DS and i lost everything, but before formating i've tested the games and nothing.. will it works downloading from Freeshop or something?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have, but last year i've formated the 3DS and i lost everything, but before formating i've tested the games and nothing.. will it works downloading from Freeshop or something?

Where and how you obtain the games does not matter. You need at least one GBA VC and one DSiWare to test sound in those two modes.

If sound works with GBA and DS(i)ware, that means something is wrong software wise with the 3DS NATIVE_FIRM.

If sound does not work in those games, your issue is believed to be hardware related.

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where and how you obtain the games does not matter. You need at least one GBA VC and one DSiWare to test sound in those two modes.

If sound works with GBA and DS(i)ware, that means something is wrong software wise with the 3DS NATIVE_FIRM.

If sound does not work in those games, your issue is believed to be hardware related.
Any ideas how do i get one of these games? (don't tell me about Eshop, because even the virtual console titles are expensive as hell.. =c
also, i've downloaded warioware touch from Freeshop before formatting the console, and the sound wasn't working on it either.
but i'll try download a dsiware game or gba to see if it works.

Last edited by Pepeu557,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any ideas how do i get one of these games? (don't tell me about Eshop, because even the virtual console games are expensive as hell.. =c

Use either freeShop or download from that iso site.

freeShop is the preferred method as it is convenient once installed and properly set up.
There's a step in that post where you have to dump the dspfirm.cdc as it's needed with eShop music option turned on. Even though your sound doesn't work, have that file in there anyway. Just don't press (Start) or (X) while in freeShop in case your non-working sound can cause it to crash (due to a bug in the app).

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, i've installed gba virtual console, the sound didn't worked, and i've installed some dsiware games but none of them cannot open, and that's pretty weird.. If it's a hardware issue, i was wondering if the headphone socket has something to do with this, but can i change the 3DS NATIVE_FIRM? if i can, i could check that first.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See if this fixes and makes your DSiWare / DSi / DS game work:
NATIVE_FIRM (or 3DS mode) is separate from:
  1. AGB_FIRM - the Game Boy Advance side of your system, because the 3DS is part GBA.
  2. TWL_FIRM - the DSi side, again because the 3DS is also part DS/DSi.
  3. SAFE_MODE_FIRM - which is your Recovery Mode.
If all four modes do not have background or game music, your only option left to rule out software problem is to use Lazarus3DS. This method is difficult to pull off because it requires you to find and obtain copyright materials found elsewhere on the Internet.

If that last method also doesn't work, there's not much else you can do.

In case the physical DSP module itself is failing, you can try baking only the motherboard to reflow the solder joints. Don't do this with a kitchen oven your family uses because noxious gases can stain the oven interior surface with traces of lead and other metals used to make your 3DS. You don't want to be eating poisoned or contaminated food. This isn't recommend if you have the means to purchase a replacement motherboard or 3DS system.

Reactions: Pepeu557 and NFates

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
See if this fixes and makes your DSiWare / DSi / DS game work:
NATIVE_FIRM (or 3DS mode) is separate from:
  1. AGB_FIRM - the Game Boy Advance side of your system, because the 3DS is part GBA.
  2. TWL_FIRM - the DSi side, again because the 3DS is also part DS/DSi.
  3. SAFE_MODE_FIRM - which is your Recovery Mode.
If all four modes do not have background or game music, your only option left to rule out software problem is to use Lazarus3DS. This method is difficult to pull off because it requires you to find and obtain copyright materials found elsewhere on the Internet.

If that last method also doesn't work, there's not much else you can do.

In case the physical DSP module itself is failing, you can try baking only the motherboard to reflow the solder joints. Don't do this with a kitchen oven your family uses because noxious gases can stain the oven interior surface with traces of lead and other metals used to make your 3DS. You don't want to be eating poisoned or contaminated food. This isn't recommend if you have the means to purchase a replacement motherboard or 3DS system.
I'll try. Btw, i have soldering iron, so i think it won't be a problem. I'm starting to think the headphone socket it's the main problem, if i remove it, will i still be able to turn on my 3DS?
but i'll do the recovery mode and the Lazarus method first.

Pepeu557

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, i've fixed the dsiware problem, but still no sound.. And doesn't Lazarus3DS fix bricked 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday