PS1/2 Help! Modded PAL PS1 on NTSC TV/Games shows no color!!

Cencil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! I just recently purchased a modded PS1 mini off ebay. I found out after receiving it that it's a PAL console. It came with an RGB SCART cable. I live in Canada and don't have any TV's that have RGB/SCART ports, and i tried using a composite AV cable on my TV, and my games (all NTSC originals/backups) are displaying in black and white. I want to be able to run my originals in color.

What is the easiest fix to have them displaying in full color? I found these two items on ebay and maybe someone knows if these will solve my issue? Its an RGB SCART to composite converter.
(Cant paste ebay link sorry)

And im assuming ill need this with the converter being a 3 RCA male to 3 RCA male composite plug?

Would this make the PAL ps1 display colors on my ntsc games and TV? Not sure if using the RGB SCART cable that came with the pal ps1 then converting it to composite would work - rather than just using composite? Would really appreciate help on this as im hoping i didnt just waste my money. Thanks

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can solder, it would be just one cable to fix this issue.

102pm41(2)_cf.jpg

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Its an RGB SCART to composite converter
Adapter, or converter?
A simple adapter would just pull the composite signal out of scart pin 20 (composite sync, in RGB mode - in practice usually full composite video for compatibility with non-RGB devices), which would do nothing

A true RGB to composite (or component) encoder would work, but they aren't that mainstream

D

Deleted User

It sounds like the console it outputting PAL60 to a TV that only supports NTSC analog signal. If you're using an HDTV you could try a SCART to HDMI converter. There's no PAL/NTSC to worry about with digital signals, just refresh rate.
The only issue is most cheap analog to HDMI converters will treat 240p as 480i and deinterlace a non interlaced signal. I believe theres a raspberry pi based device thats designed to take 240p RBG signals and convert them correctly

Last edited by ,

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
You could try a different screen - a lot of more modern screens support both PAL and NTSC, so if you're lucky you can find a CRT that supports PAL. Alternatively you could import a PAL TV...

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Was it advertised as a PAL console? If not then you could raise a dispute and try to return it if it’s too much of a pain.

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have the same issue when trying to boot a ntsc game on a pal console. patching the image usually helps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction