Hacking Help me understand the keyset.cfg file on the EZ-Flash IV

PoutinePower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I want to edit the keyset file after downloading the flat theme for the 2.05 ezflash kernel, I just feel lost trying to set custom keys. Can anyone walk me thru the two or three options in there? I know there's something for the keybindings, gss patch and hard reset. Thanks in advance!

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You basically have three sections:

########################################

Hardreset:
If enabled (HARDRESET = 1) the system will automatically do a BIOS reset when launching a game, it's like always launching a game with L+A. This will make the "Gameboy Advance" Logo appear when launching the game, a few games need this reset to work. I would recommend having this setting enabled but you can disable it (HARDRESET = 0) if you want.

Keyset:
Consists of 1 setting (USE_KEYSET) and 3 subsections ([SLEEP],[WAKEUP],[RESET] and allows you to define your own button combination for sleep mode, waking the GBA from sleep and reseting to the EZ-Flash IV menu (Please see the note in the next section)
If the setting is disabled (USE_KEYSET = 0) the EZ-Flash IV will use the default button combinations for sleep (L+R+Start), wakeup (Start+Select) and reset (L, dpad up, B). If enabled (USE_KEYSET = 1) the system will use the button combinations you define in [SLEEP]. [WAKEUP] and [RESET]. For example:
Code:
[SLEEP]
Button_L
Button_R
Select
Will make the GBA sleep when you press L+R+Select

Code:
[WAKEUP]
Start
Select
Button_L
Will make the GBA wakeup from sleep when you press Start, Select and L

Code:
[RESET]
Button_L
Button_A
Button_B
Select
Will make the GBA reset to the EZ-Flash menu by pressing L,A,B and Select. Note that you shouldn't use the R-button in the reset combination as that is used by the EZ-Flash to initiate the Firmware update on boot. Depending on the cartridge this would result in the firmware being flashed whenever you use the rest.

Global Softreset and Sleep (GSS):
This en- or disables the above mentioned functions of resetting to the menu or putting the GBA to sleep.
Disabling GSS (DISABLE_GSS = 1) will obviously disable these features whereas enabling it (DISABLE_GSS = 0) will allow you to sleep or reset.
The GSS patching used by the EZ-Flash team, however, greatly decreases game compatibility, a lot of games will crash, freeze or glitch out with GSS not disabled. If GSS is enabled (DISABLE_GSS = 0) you can still launch a game with GSS disabled "on the fly" by launching them with the button combination 'L+B' instead of simply pressing 'A' in the EZ-Flash Menu. You can, however, also enter the game ID in the keyset file to always have the EZ-Flash Menu disable GSS patching for ROMs with this game ID.
for example
Code:
BKZX = 1
will tell the EZ-Flash to always launch the ROM with the game ID 'BKZX' (Banjo-Kazooie - EU Version) with GSS disabled as this game will otherwise not work.

Reactions: yanvbraz

PoutinePower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, perfect! This is the best answer I could've hoped for, I understand everything perfectly now. A big thank you for taking the time to reply and for making the flat theme too, I really love it!

Reactions: Sterophonick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it