Help me understand the keyset.cfg file on the EZ-Flash IV

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by PoutinePower, Feb 17, 2018.

1. PoutinePower
    OP

PoutinePower Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2017
    Canada
    Montreal
    So I want to edit the keyset file after downloading the flat theme for the 2.05 ezflash kernel, I just feel lost trying to set custom keys. Can anyone walk me thru the two or three options in there? I know there's something for the keybindings, gss patch and hard reset. Thanks in advance!

2. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    You basically have three sections:

########################################

Hardreset:
    If enabled (HARDRESET = 1) the system will automatically do a BIOS reset when launching a game, it's like always launching a game with L+A. This will make the "Gameboy Advance" Logo appear when launching the game, a few games need this reset to work. I would recommend having this setting enabled but you can disable it (HARDRESET = 0) if you want.

Keyset:
    Consists of 1 setting (USE_KEYSET) and 3 subsections ([SLEEP],[WAKEUP],[RESET] and allows you to define your own button combination for sleep mode, waking the GBA from sleep and reseting to the EZ-Flash IV menu (Please see the note in the next section)
    If the setting is disabled (USE_KEYSET = 0) the EZ-Flash IV will use the default button combinations for sleep (L+R+Start), wakeup (Start+Select) and reset (L, dpad up, B). If enabled (USE_KEYSET = 1) the system will use the button combinations you define in [SLEEP]. [WAKEUP] and [RESET]. For example:
    Code:
    [SLEEP]
    Button_L
    Button_R
    Select

Will make the GBA sleep when you press L+R+Select

Code:
    [WAKEUP]
    Start
    Select
    Button_L

Will make the GBA wakeup from sleep when you press Start, Select and L

Code:
    [RESET]
    Button_L
    Button_A
    Button_B
    Select
    Will make the GBA reset to the EZ-Flash menu by pressing L,A,B and Select. Note that you shouldn't use the R-button in the reset combination as that is used by the EZ-Flash to initiate the Firmware update on boot. Depending on the cartridge this would result in the firmware being flashed whenever you use the rest.

Global Softreset and Sleep (GSS):
    This en- or disables the above mentioned functions of resetting to the menu or putting the GBA to sleep.
    Disabling GSS (DISABLE_GSS = 1) will obviously disable these features whereas enabling it (DISABLE_GSS = 0) will allow you to sleep or reset.
    The GSS patching used by the EZ-Flash team, however, greatly decreases game compatibility, a lot of games will crash, freeze or glitch out with GSS not disabled. If GSS is enabled (DISABLE_GSS = 0) you can still launch a game with GSS disabled "on the fly" by launching them with the button combination 'L+B' instead of simply pressing 'A' in the EZ-Flash Menu. You can, however, also enter the game ID in the keyset file to always have the EZ-Flash Menu disable GSS patching for ROMs with this game ID.
    for example
    Code:
    BKZX = 1

will tell the EZ-Flash to always launch the ROM with the game ID 'BKZX' (Banjo-Kazooie - EU Version) with GSS disabled as this game will otherwise not work.

yanvbraz likes this.
  3. PoutinePower
    OP

PoutinePower Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2017
    Canada
    Montreal
    Alright, perfect! This is the best answer I could've hoped for, I understand everything perfectly now. A big thank you for taking the time to reply and for making the flat theme too, I really love it!

Sterophonick likes this.
  4. PoutinePower
    OP

PoutinePower Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2017
    Canada
    Montreal
    A year later here I am wondering the same thing, googling the question just to find the answer on a thread I already asked the question on... LMAO this is kinda funny

Sicklyboy, Sterophonick and EZ-Flash2 like this.
  5. Sterophonick

Sterophonick GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    My Laptop XD
    oof

6. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Feel free to come back next year :P