Help me somebody!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 4saken, Mar 23, 2007.

Mar 23, 2007

Help me somebody! by 4saken at 8:58 AM (1,096 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. 4saken
    OP

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    This thread is a continuation from this: Link

Here is my story.
    My Nintendo DS Lite arrived today from Nintendo. As expected, yet not hoped, the stuck pixel remained, and my Hori had been taken off and disposed of. A mighty COMPLETE waste of 50 AUD (40 USD)

I decided to fix the problem myself (the LCD massaging technique). I proceeded to remove the motherboard and case using "thieves like us"'s website (the stickied one)

I have hit a huge problem. After realizing that I had wasted my time, I tried to put it back together. First time around, the bottom shell wouldn't fit on, and I concluded that the motherboard was not on properly.

[​IMG]

The picture below is a picture of my problem. While trying to find a problem, I (think I) lifted the LCD off too hard. The result:

[​IMG]

For those who can't see, it is a little part that is usually attached onto the fat ribbon cable, however it has come loose and can't be stuck back on.

[​IMG]

I did not find out about this problem until I had completely reinstalled the DS Lite. When I turn the unit on, the top screen blinks SKY BLUE/WHITE for a SPLIT SECOND. The bottom screen remains switched off. I am ASSUMING ONLY that the LCD screen is the source of the problem, but I still do not see why the DS would not turn on at all. Further proof of this is that the DS will not turn on without the WIFI and MICROPHONE plugged in.

My question now is:
    If I replace the BOTTOM SCREEN LCD (the one with the partially broken cable), will my DS Lite be fixed? I am ASSUMING everything else is in working condition (not very thorough checks), but I may be completely wrong.

So I could either go on Ebay and get a new, non stuffed up LCD for my DS and PERHAPS fix it, OR I could sell this DS Lite online just for it's random and intact parts, and buy a New DS Lite.

If anybody has had this happen to them, PLEASE REPLY.

EDIT: to some parts

2. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Okay I think I'm going to go and buy a new LCD bottom screen and hope it'll work.
    If some technician (or somebody with this kind of experience) can tell me otherwise, I'll glady accept their knowledge

3. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Nevermind its going to be sold on ebay.
    If anybody wants the link, PM me.

Woo waste of like 250 dollars. I feel miserable.

4. Lurick

Newcomer Lurick Advanced Member

United States
    :comfort:

You were brave to attempt it; at that point, it must have been almost like losing a patient. I feel sorry for you. [​IMG]

This is why I'm scared to try self repair if it requires this level of opening things up. In my mind, the DS Lite is relatively cheap, and thus, far easier to just replace completely. While a $50-fix might sound attractive over buying another DS, when combined with the waiting for the replacement parts, the heart-pounding when it comes to reassembling everything, and the overall hassle in worrying whether or not you're "doing it right," it's really not all that much cheaper than the price of an almost-guaranteed problem-free new one. If we were talking about a $600 ps3, it's more understandable to risk the open-heart surgery, sure, but ... we're talking about $130 (USD) for a DS Lite. That isn't all that much worse than investing $50 and a ton of headache. As inexperienced as most people are, attempting a "risky" procedure is just as often a way of losing money as it is saving it. From someone that tried to "fix" the battery in his own iPod (remind me to tell THAT story one day ... phew), I can attest to this.

Let this serve as a lesson to everyone else -- if you're not at least on a hobbyist level with this kind of tinkering, it probably isn't worth putting yourself through Hell to save 120 - 150 bucks! If you're willing to spend $50 three times on failed attempts, just cut out the middle agony.

5. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    ^ Wholeheartedly agreed

6. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    I know what you feel like... Its a thing that every hacker must go through. Ive done it too, with my GBA... [​IMG] But after this, you'll learn to take ALOT more time on what your doing, even if it means staying up a few hours extra to get it done. As Lurick said, good thing its inexpensive , and that you can get a new one with a little money out of your pocket. You may get more money if you sell it off piece by piece.. Hmm

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. Shebang

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Experience is expensive - sadly enough.

-shebang

8. m|kk|

Member m|kk| GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm having nightmare flashbacks of the death of Spikey's Navy Blue DS Lite [​IMG]

We have parts from that that may be able to be recycled if anyone needs them.... PM if interested [​IMG]

I know either the top or bottom screen was trashed... [​IMG]