Hacking help me set up/configure my wii to play Smash :)

NextStep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, I've been out of the Wii scene for months now, so I'm very outdated right now, and I'd like to check with you guys before doing anything with my Wii.

I've already checked the Sticky guide, but it's very confusing, and not necessarily relevant to my situation.

For example, it's telling me not to update the wii firmware to 3.1, but then also says that those with 3.1 all reported success in playing Brawl... so wouldnt I WANT to update it?

Also, if Dual Layer is what i think it is (see Bonus Question), then I can't get the DVD9 version to play because I dont think I have a "Dual Layer" burner... and that guide is for the official Jap release, not the DVD5 version (which I'll be using if I can't get Dual Layer).

Finally, I have no idea how Brickbreaker, or Wiifree-Region, or whatever they are called work. I hope I can get it working without having the hassle of going through that. But if I have to, I will.

Anyways, here is the challenge ahead:

Required:
1. Set up/configure Wii to play Brawl (i.e. what do i need to do to get it to work?)
I'd like to know for both the Single Layer release, and the Dual Layer release.
I'm downloading them now, and want to get the prerequisites taken care of beforehand, so I don't waste any time.

Additional Information:
1. I haven't upgraded the firmware of my Wii, nor my Wiikey.
2. My wii is USA version.

Bonus Question:
Is Dual Layer mean that it writes on both layers? or can I write it on a single layer of a larger size DVD?
I'm downloading both versions just in case.

edit: Finally, I'd like to point out that this is quite alot to ask for, and I thank wholeheartedly anyone who takes time to read and/or help me.

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt you can write on a single layer of a large DVD, the size of a Dual layer is 8gb, it's probably best to stick with DL

If you update you get double news and weather channels, apart from that, nothing else bad happens

Sperenvanger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your Wii is US version so...

Burn Wiikey 1.9g update (choose the US one)
Update Wiikey to 1.9g (yes it's beta)
Burn WiiKey Setup Disc 1.3 (choose the US one)
Boot WiiKey Setup Disc and enable Region override

Update your Wii to 3.1U

Now you need a Dual Layer DVD Burner and 1 or 2 empty DVD+DL discs.
Burn SSBB on a DVD+DL
Boot SSBB
When it asks to update choose between:

Complete update. < After the update you are done but IT LEAVES YOU DUPLICATED CHANNELS
Update to only 15% < After the update you throw away the disc but IT WONT LEAVE YOU DUPLICATED CHANNELS

If you only update to 15% you need to Brickblock your SSBB image and burn it again. When done right it wont ask you to update if you put the burned disc in your Wii.

Note: I take no responsibility whatsoever and I don't even have a Wii myself. I found these instructions all very well in the sticky'd topic.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm STILL laughing at everyone who recommends burning discs for updates and then throwing them away. I mean, why? What's the point? Why not just burn a DVD RW and burn something else on it later? You're gonna need the disc once, so a rewritable disc would be PERFECT for that.

I'm laughing even at the people who burn a DL disc and throw that away. That's just a total waste of money now. Trim it so that it'll fit on a normal DVD and burn that, probably on a DVD RW. Should work fine as the update is somewhere near the start of the disc.

Sorry if I offend anyone with that but... seriously now.

NextStep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users