Help me remember this old cd-rom based dos-game FPS name.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by test84, Jul 25, 2008.

1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    This was this game which was one of first that released on CD rom and meant be run from DOS, it was FPS and you were fighting one or two other kinda mechanical fighters within an Arena of each level, it was kinda dark and was not on out doors but indoors and like basements, its graphics was for like 1996 days.

I think you had to have just one weapon at a time since I remember that you had to change your weapon with another and not being able to carry two or more at once and once you changed your weapon you heard a woman saying "ASSAULT RIFLE EXCHANGED BY (put another weapon name here)"

Its cover was one of those fighters and the cover was kinda orangy or greeny, its name was something like XT or ZX or XZ.

I would like to see some of its screenshots!

Thnx.

2. test84
    OP

Iran
  3. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    thats the game that u were looking for?
    looks gud

4. test84
    OP

Iran
    umm, yes thats the game, don't judge it by its graphics (I cant believe they are this bad these days) its gameplay is awesom-o, the movements were so real and it was so tense and breath taking, fighting those gladiators in those arenas, were amazing.

I even remember the day and how I got it, the days that there were no fuckin review to read and pre-judge the game and you would buy them by their cover or back cover and I selected it, it was one of first games I ever bought on CD-ROM.

damn I miss those days.

5. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    i dont miss the old days.. old crappy computers running windows bob and shit graphics cards(8 bit)..
    and when u play the game everything collide with everything... and eveyone (characters) looks the same... all flat faced people..

6. test84
    OP

Iran
    Yes but Aside from its nostalgia, there was some essence, something strange about old games that new games lack, something that whenever I play Last Ninja II brings tear to my eyes ..., words can't describe.

There is something, a spirit or so, in games like Shinobi games for GENESIS or others that still brings people towards them but no one will remember Dead Space next year.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    ummmmm was gunna say QUAKE,DOOM,HEXEN,WOLFENSTEIN ETC

8. test84
    OP

Iran
    it was the first FPS game to feature shield that later used in games like Unreal, Urban Chaos, etc.
    Also, you can clearly see inspirations of Quake III : Arena with this game since both are FPS games and are in arena type maps.

9. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    wow The Last Ninja I played that all the time on my C64 when i was 8 years old. I remember putting the tape on to load after getting in from school having something to eat then doing my homework while waiting for it load. I total forgot about that till you posted the link.[​IMG]

10. test84
    OP

Iran
    cheers,
    If you want to play it, get VICE (its a C64 emulator).

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nostaliga lasts until I remember mscdex usually (that and trying to find I think it was phillips drivers for the busted old drive I was using (it was held in with a peg), eventually lucked out and found it on a old library machine).

I remember that game though (came as a demo I used to play a lot on the school machines).

12. test84
    OP

Iran
    oh, that CD driver from DOS, yeah, I remember it man.
    it was heart warming that someone actually played it, it was one of the best, wish kids these days could play these gems.

13. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    XS looks Fantastic!

Side Note: Before i looked at the images a second time, Shogo: MAD came flying back into my head after a quick skim of those images. I would LOVE to see Shogo done w/ updated graphics (even same style, just hi-res).

Man, i crave old school games. The newer ones just don't hold me like the older ones do. And i don't know why.

Fuck, i'm just getting old, thats all.

(i just had a "Yea, well i remember when..." moment yesterday. odd feeling...)

14. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I strongly believe that the difference between the games of old and current stuff is that you had to use your imagination a lot more back then. Graphics were simple at best, so a bigger part of the story would have to unfold in your head. Laugh all you want, but I remember playing a very, very basic (BASIC, literally) racing game on my C64 in the mid-eighties, wearing a genuine friggin' helmet, because it added to the illusion.

Oh, and I pre-ordered Last Ninja II back then, because it came with a Ninja mask (which turned out to be really lame..). That was long before I sided with the pirates. [​IMG]

15. test84
    OP

Iran
    Thats a good point.
    Another one is that back in those days, most devs were actual programmers and the competition was not over graphics and there were no Unreal Engine III to just buy and develop a game over it, they had to program everything and games were much different from each other, if it was today, we would have 100 clones of Last Ninja II but in those era, we had something like Calduran, a strange game which didnt follow anything like it before.

Today its more industrial, they get an engine, build a game, some big company wants money out of it so they focus on main stream which are mostly casual players, i.e. they are happy that you can do all acrobatics in Assassin's CREED with just one button, C64 had one button too but look how they used it.