Hacking Help me release this Starblade VC Arcade translation.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
UPDATE
The patch is now completed and available. See the attachments. The patching process is kind of a hassle: you need to add common-key.bin and StarbladeJP.wad to the "Starblade" directory, then run Apply Patch.bat. This will create StarbladeEN.wad in the same directory, which you can do with as you wish.

Code:
 ---------------------------------------------------
| Starblade Virtual Console Arcade -- English Patch |
 ---------------------------------------------------

This patch translates the Japan-only VCA release of 1991's Starblade, the
early polygonal shooter by Namco. The game was reasonably playable in
Japanese, with some trial and error and a bit of patience, but this should
make things a little simpler.

NB: Nothing region-related is changed by this patch: the game is still Japan
region. Any standard method for launching out-of-region titles should work.

-------------------------
| What's been translated? |

The game itself really doesn't need a translation; it's all fully voiced, in
English, so this patch only affects the menu: the various settings screens,
the tooltips, all of the popup notices ("Are you sure you want to return to
the title screen? All progress will be lost," etc.), the instructional
graphic, the button prompts and a massive number of error messages.

| What wasn't translated? |

The banner, strap screen, home menu and the digital manual are all unmodified.
None of them are necessary for playing the game--the manual doesn't even
bother to explain any of the menu settings anyway, so the in-game
instructional graphic is about equally useful.

There were a couple of lines I was never able to find a context for: in with
all the menu strings is an apparent option called "Works" which looks like it
must have been removed. If it ever does appear, the translations will probably
be poor, because I didn't understand their purpose. There were also a few
lines like "Action is missing!" that I never saw in-game, so same deal there.

----------------------------
| How do I apply this patch? |
 ----------------------------

Due to the complexities of patching a Wii WAD, this patch bundles some tools
to extract, patch and rebuild the WAD. In theory, a patch could be made that
altered the WAD directly, but it would be huge and include most of the game's
assets due to the patcher seeing the newly encrypted file as completely
different to the original.

However, not everything can be included here, so there's also a couple of
files you need to add to the "Starblade" directory:

- common-key.bin

- an unmodified, regulation Starblade v257 WAD, renamed to "StarbladeJP.wad".
   According to No-Intro, it should have the following specifications:

File:   Star Blade (Japan) (v257) (Arcade) (Virtual Console).wad
     Size:   18528512
     CRC32:  DA0559AD
     MD5:    DB62A9800550B8173BF5863A3FC13297
     SHA-1:  41DD1D161D47F89C0F5F94AFD58023C9492BD95A

Don't ask me where to find them.

Place both of these files in the "Starblade" directory, remembering to rename
your Japanese WAD to "StarbladeJP.wad". Then, launch the following batch file:

Apply Patch.bat

This will do some behind the scenes grunt-work that will result in a new file
in the "Starblade" directory: 

StarbladeEN.wad

This is your English-translated game. To play it, do whatever you usually do
with your WADs; we're not getting into it here.

If you want or need to perform the patch manually, e.g. because you're on a
different OS, the details of what's going on here aren't anything too complex.
You need to unpack the WAD so that 00000002.app is exposed. Patch this file
with the "StarbladeENPatch.xdelta" file included here, using your xdelta
patcher of choice. Then repack the WAD and you're done.

----------
| Licenses |
 ----------

This archive bundles apps from BFGR WadTools v0.39a, a GPLv2 package. Source
for these tools can be found in the "src" directory.

Also bundled is the xdelta3 v3.0.6 binary, a GPLv2 project with source
available at Google Code:
     https://code.google.com/p/xdelta/source/

---

Sincerely,
   Vague Rant

What follows is the thread as originally posted.

I got tired of looking at all of this:

YKLXMGk.png

So I did some of this:

OeVu5Bm.png
WH8A0j4.png
ttdQBAD.png

Starblade is an early polygonal rail shooter from Namco, predating Star Fox by several years and held by many to have inspired Nintendo and Argonaut's title. The game has been ported all over the place since its original arcade release, from Sega CD to 3DO to PSX, but the Wii Virtual Console Arcade port is unique in that it allows the game to be played like a light gun game using the Wii Remote. Have a video:

(This video is not mine and does not depict this hack.)​

Unfortunately, the Wii version was only released in Japan, and when I tried to play it, I got that mess of mojibake in the first shot. It was workable with some effort, but the hassle bothered me enough that I ended up translating the menu (the only things left in Japanese are the strap screen, the Home Menu and the digital manual). The translation was a simple enough job, and the game itself is all in English--with voice acting--the problem now is that I have no idea how to distribute this to anyone else who wants it. I just modified the files directly, so the TMD no longer matches my files.

My plan was just to offer a patch from the Japanese to a translated English WAD, but due to the TMD issue, I'm not even able to pack a functioning one. I can play it as much as I like on the Wii where it's already installed, but I have no way to distribute it to anyone else who wants it. Hopefully, someone can help me get a patch out for others to (maybe) enjoy.

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT: I managed to pack a functioning WAD, but the result is probably an even bigger dilemma. Because WAD contents are encrypted, even the smallest modification to a file means that it looks completely different once encrypted, so when I generate a patch I'm basically providing the entire game within the xdelta--the game ROM itself is in the same archive as the contents I translated. Short version: I don't see any convenient way to "legally" provide a patch for any WAD, since it naturally requires a bunch of irrelevant, copyrighted content be bundled.

A possible solution would be to provide the xdelta for my modified archive only, leaving the user to do their own decrypting, before patching the file and rebuilding the WAD. This is a giant hassle though. Next solution: bundle some decrypting/encrypting tools and a batch file with the patch. Then you need to know you have the right to share someone else's tools, so bleh. I'm aware this is a peripherally interesting project, but easy WiiWare/VC patching is something that probably is worthwhile, so if I can find a setup for distributing this it'd at least be useful for others wanting to patch WADs.

Attachments

• StarbladeVCAEnglish.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,303
Last edited by Vague Rant,

john_woo_3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Vague Rant
Congratulation for all this work. But the patch is not anymore available for download... :-(
I have just one question : how were you able to play starblade on your wii ? have you got a NTSC-J Wii ?
I have the japanese WAD file, and a modded PAL Wii with homebrew channel etc.
But each time i try to launch starblade, i only have a black screen... so frustrating !!!!
Which options have we got to set in order to play this game ? (even on dolphin emulator ?)
Best regards

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Vague Rant
Congratulation for all this work. But the patch is not anymore available for download... :-(
I have just one question : how were you able to play starblade on your wii ? have you got a NTSC-J Wii ?
I have the japanese WAD file, and a modded PAL Wii with homebrew channel etc.
But each time i try to launch starblade, i only have a black screen... so frustrating !!!!
Which options have we got to set in order to play this game ? (even on dolphin emulator ?)
Best regards
On North American NTSC systems, Japanese games don't give much trouble other than garbled text, even with VC and WiiWare. For some reason though, changing between PAL/NTSC for VC and WiiWare sometimes requires using *NEEK (I've never needed to do it for regular Wii games). In rare cases, you might even have to emulate a NAND from the same region as the game. I've got a couple of PAL games that won't work on my NTSC-U Wii unless I switch to UNEEK.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuultrabump.

Sorry everybody, I've been meaning to rehost this patch for literally years and never got around to it. You can now find the patch bundle attached to the topic post; it should be up for as long as GBATemp is. Again, you still need to provide your own common-key.bin and StarbladeJP.wad as described in the original post.

Again, sorry for the massive delay, hopefully somebody's still interested in running this game ('s menu) in English.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Can anyone help? I do not understand HOW exactly to patch this file. Please help
Download the patch tool from @Vague Rant's thread, then get the v257 of the StarBlade JP VC Arcade (Wii) WAD, then put the file in the folder specified in the readme, rename it to "StarbladeJP.wad", and then run the patcher as instructed in the readme. The resulting WAD will be named "StarbladeEN.wad".

Reactions: Impikxn

FaxMachine

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Excellent work, If you have the time, could you make a similar patch to Solvalou? It's another Namco System 21 game that the only good port was only released in Japan.

Last edited by FaxMachine,

JesusOnSteroids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I'm having trouble with this. There doesn't seem to be much information on how to create or extract the common-keys.bin file that's necessary. I've tried creating the .bin file in both Notepad and HxD by simply pasting in the line of characters and saving as .bin, but when I run the patcher it creates StarbladeENPatch.xdelta and that's it--it never creates a StarbladeEN.wad. Can someone explain how to extract or create the common keys file, or tell me why something so seemingly simple is proving to be so difficult?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey I'm having trouble with this. There doesn't seem to be much information on how to create or extract the common-keys.bin file that's necessary. I've tried creating the .bin file in both Notepad and HxD by simply pasting in the line of characters and saving as .bin, but when I run the patcher it creates StarbladeENPatch.xdelta and that's it--it never creates a StarbladeEN.wad. Can someone explain how to extract or create the common keys file, or tell me why something so seemingly simple is proving to be so difficult?
Common key files must be downloaded from somewhere else.
Basically, this tool breaks down the game, applies the patch and puts together the game again with the aid of common keys.bin.

I don't think you can make them, maybe yes but I never could.

Again, must be downloaded from somewhere else but it's copyrighted material, so ilegal.

JesusOnSteroids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a softmodded Wii with nand backups. If it can't be scraped from that, I guess I'll start downloading files from random google results. Does it need to be a japanese common key, or NA?

Edit: Okay I got a little farther thanks to a program that makes the key and trying the manual instructions, but now that I've patched the file I can't repack the wad. Dragging the wadpacker.exe into cmd opens up an options list but I can't do anything. Dragging the folder of decompiled pad .app files onto the wadpacker does nothing. This patch seemed so easy at first but now I'm determined after the time I've put in. Maybe that was OP's goal lol

Last edited by JesusOnSteroids,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Dude, you need to stop dragging random stuff over another random stuff. Just read somewhere how windows command line commands work.

Update:
Just checked the work of the .bat script - everything worked as expected.

A couple of notes:
Perhaps the file name "Apply Patch.bat" in the release need to be changed (for future uses) - there is space in the name. It doesn't interfere with the script work though.

Since I did not have cygwin installed, the cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll library was not registered accordingly. I had to quickly copy it to the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" folder (for the test, I only had an old laptop with Windows 7 x64 at hand)
(or add line:
cp cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll 000100014537324a\cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
before line:
cd 000100014537324a
in "Apply Patch.bat" file)

as for one much needed file - it can be obtained from ShowMiiWads "Tools".

Last edited by r1vver,

JesusOnSteroids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, you need to stop dragging random stuff over another random stuff. Just read somewhere how windows command line commands work.
I guess that's what happens when instructions are unclear and people are expected to know what to do with a .exe with no instructions :rofl: I've used command prompt plenty, but usually executables have some sort of interactivity or commands of some sort rather than a half legible option menu with no accessible commands lol. After downloading a handful of "wad packers"(most were forwarder creators), I finally got it done with WadTool by Leathl. Glad to finally be able to play this, absolutely no way I would've figured out +&1 or +&2 as controls. This game is too good to be buried behind unreadable menus, so hopefully what I added helps the next person trying to make sense of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr