Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Here is what's going down... I just got my grades back from the university. I got a C+/B- average... my father was planning to send me into heavy labour work this summer again should I get a grade lower than A. B+ and B would be bad enough but this... I'm personally happy with my grades, and it will get me where I want, but not for my parents... I wanted to change the specific URL that displays my grades (it looks like "university.com/something.jsp") to redirect to a webpage I've already designed on my hard drive and shows a sign that says something along the lines of "The grade for this current student will not be available until August 19th, 2008" which is 4 days after I move out of the house and possibly never to come back again. I know this is wrong, but I want to stay alive, lol... C+ is WAAAY off my parent's expectations...

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thats a great plan! I wish I could pull something like that...

Hmm, I say send the site to them as a "link" in their email or something. It depends how tech savvy your folks are, but mine would definitely fall for that if only my grades were online...

Maybe you could set up a blocker for the authentic site to keep your parents from accessing it and just send them a link and then make a "shortcut" for that site on the desktop.

Also, change that message; "The grade for this current student will not be available until August 19th, 2008" sounds fake.
Try something like...LNAME, FName you're grades are not currently available. Please call 1-800-FAke-nmbr./These grades will be available on MM/DD of the 08/09

Or whatever.
'

Best of luck :-)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they aren't too computer savvy you might be able to use a hosts file to redirect them to the site you want them to see. I have no idea if this will prevent them from seeing the actual site address in the address bar (I've never actually used a hosts file), but it might work.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm lazy, but I'm assuming you want a DNS server, point your PC's settings to it instead... It was used to redirect the Wii's shopping channel, so I'd assume that's what you're after.

Simple DNS Plus

Chotaz

I'm back! :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is why I recommend Firebug.

asdasd.jpg

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dylaan said:
I'm lazy, but I'm assuming you want a DNS server, point your PC's settings to it instead... It was used to redirect the Wii's shopping channel, so I'd assume that's what you're after.

Simple DNS Plus

My portable devices connects to a site automatically, how could I use this to redirect it to a different site?

Chotaz

I'm back! :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You guys are the ones that suck at life, if you entered here just to diss.
Of course he knows he's being unresponsible, but he's asking for help, so if you're not ehre to provide it, don't even waste time posting
wink.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
ChotaZ said:
This is why I recommend Firebug.

asdasd.jpg

That's not going to work, as they will go to the website themselves.

Westside: get XAMPP, it's a web server for your computer.

Then modify yours hosts file to point somesite.com and www.somwsite.com to 127.0.0.1

Put somepage.jsp on your webserver.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
-x1_0_nt- said:
bobitos said:
You suck at life. Grow up and be responsible for yourself.
I know what I'm doing is wrong, but these are the same people who whipped me with a rose vine back in Uzbekistan when I was about 10 and I got a 68 in my report card. To this day I have marks on my back to remind me of myself. I am happy with my grades, but my parents have no idea how hard I had to work to get even a C+ in those second year electrical phyisics courses. I tried explaining that I may not get an A many times, and what they are asking for is ridiculous, but I ended up getting my ass kicked by my father.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As suggested by Destructobot, using the hosts file it's a great idea. It won't modify the actual URL and will only redirect to the local page on that specific URL.

Just use something like EasyPHP or XAMPP to set an easy web enviroment in your PC, save the page, edit it in some webpage editor (like Dreamweaver), configure the hosts file, and you're set.

Good luck in doing this
wink.gif

EDIT: Ops. I totally skipped arctic_flame's reply. It says exactly the same things I just said
wink.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
-x1_0_nt- said:
bobitos said:
You suck at life. Grow up and be responsible for yourself.
I know what I'm doing is wrong, but these are the same people who whipped me with a rose vine back in Uzbekistan when I was about 10 and I got a 68 in my report card. To this day I have marks on my back to remind me of myself. I am happy with my grades, but my parents have no idea how hard I had to work to get even a C+ in those second year electrical phyisics courses. I tried explaining that I may not get an A many times, and what they are asking for is ridiculous, but I ended up getting my ass kicked by my father.

I know exactly what you mean, My parents expect me to get straight As, and they don't understand me when I say I can't do it. They are pretty stressful but I've never been whipped with a rose vine... I'm sorry.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Thank you for all your help guys. I know I am being irresponsible, but I hope you understand these parents are dangerous... I just need enough time to move out.
frown.gif

I know that they just really care about my future, but they take it to a degree where it gets a little creepy...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended