Help me learn how to tranlate ROMs :)

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! ^^ Im currently trying to learn how to HEXedit text in roms but im no good at it.
I tried to HEXedit the "BS Zelda - Third quest" hack. And I starded off by creating two different savefiled.
On one savefile I named Link "ABCDEFG" the othe one was named "GFEDCBA".

Then I compared both savefiles within Hex workshop and found the hexvalues for "ABCDEFG" in the first line.
And by trying out 255 diffenet hexvalues I managed to build a table for English symbols.

Most of the white hexvalues gave me either blank or japanese symbols.
Capture_zps11ed3237.png

Now my problem is that is that I dont find anything using this table even though I can totally use it to create a name for Link even with different symbols and fonts than whats available in the actuall game.

When writing your name in the game you are only able to use the
letters within values 10-1F and 30-3A ( 3A is blank).
For other symbols (-., and !') and numbers the values are 5E-6D.

So im pretty sure values B0-CA (Lowercase letters) are used for text strings in the game together with the uppercase symbols within 71-8A. The font seems to be the same.

But still im not able to find anything. I have been trying to search for Ganon by Searching for 77B1BEBFBE and other stuff as well with no luck.
Im stuck.. Anyone wanna give me a hand here?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4 main possibilities

1) You have made it wrongly. Doubtful from what you have said but I have to count it.
2) The name entry screen/save uses a different encoding from the rest of the game. Seen it on many occasions actually.
3) The game uses compressed text. Considerably more likely, indeed having followed a few Zelda threads over the years I would be willing to wager a small sum that it was this. I am not so familiar with SNES compression schemes (the SNES was pretty weak but it did have options, most of them were RLE but something resembling something in the LZ family as well as very light Huffman could also appear, as you are hacking an extensive hack then it could well be this).
4) Some form of encryption. Doubtful in most games and most older systems but PC and some newer ones do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person