Hacking Help Me, I'm Stupid

Fpqno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the thing... I DON'T want to flash my DS Lite (and no matter what anyone says, I'm not going to flash it, so don't bother suggesting it). I have a Slot-2 SuperCard and a SuperKey in my Slot-1. But I'm finding some newer games have compatibility issues. Is there a way to update, like... my SuperCard itself, but not change anything in my actual DS? Does updating to the latest version always mean flashing my DS? I have no clue here, so some help and some explanations would be super special awesome.

Edit: Oh, and if this has already been answered somewhere else, I DID search the forums, and I couldn't find the answer, so... Again, stupid.

biz387

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no flashing the supercard is not going to mess with your ds.. I would suggest if you use the inbuilt emulators to upgrade in stages ie every update in a row as there have been reports that skipping revisions can break them.. if you dont use them just jump straight to the latest version for your type of card from http://eng.supercard.cn/download.htm and the latest patching software too as they run hand in hand!

Hope thats been helpful

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your DS is never flashed when you update your Supercard products. The Supercard products act as an alternative to a flashed DS and don't directly modified the DS hardware in any way.

When you upgrade the firmware on your Supercard Lite, it modifies the Supercard Lite's hardware via your MicroSD. It doesn't tap into your DS in anyway.

wink.gif

QUOTE said:
I would suggest if you use the inbuilt emulators to upgrade in stages ie every update in a row as there have been reports that skipping revisions can break them..

I also suggest upgrading the Supercard Lite firmware step-by-step according to the release dates provided on the Supercard Team's site. I've experienced problems when attempting to skip ahead by too many releases...

Fpqno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome, thanks for the info! I know flashing the DS doesn't hurt it, but I also know flashing a DS Lite can't be undone, whereas the original DS CAN be unflashed, so that's why I don't want to flash my DS Lite. So, now to update my SuperCard. ^^

Edit: And I'm still having the compatibility issues, so that was pointless. x.x

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both the DS Lite and DS Phat can be safely recovered with the latest version of NoFlashMe. Your information is outdated, though it was correct at one point in time.

Along with the firmware update, you need to install the latest patcher software as well. Get it from the main English Supercard site - http://eng.supercard.cn

I know this info doesn't apply to you anymore, but just for the record...
The "built-in emulators break" issue was caused by skipping the 1.80 upgrade file, but that issue was resolved with 1.83 or so. I've safely upgraded from 1.7 to 1.84 in the past, so that can be done, and I assume you can jump to 1.85 as well but I have not tested it. You definitely want to go from 1.63 to 1.7 before doing anything else though.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
podunk1269 said:
I wuld suggest a different flash card to be honest.
What's your reasoning? He's having a couple compatibility issues himself, but the cart itself still plays 99% of the games out there. I'm betting that once he upgrades his software the games will start working.

The SC team takes good care of its slot-2 users. In my case at least, there's no pressing need to get a slot-1 device at the moment.

Fpqno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
Both the DS Lite and DS Phat can be safely recovered with the latest version of NoFlashMe. Your information is outdated, though it was correct at one point in time.

Along with the firmware update, you need to install the latest patcher software as well. Get it from the main English Supercard site - http://eng.supercard.cn

I know this info doesn't apply to you anymore, but just for the record...
The "built-in emulators break" issue was caused by skipping the 1.80 upgrade file, but that issue was resolved with 1.83 or so. I've safely upgraded from 1.7 to 1.84 in the past, so that can be done, and I assume you can jump to 1.85 as well but I have not tested it. You definitely want to go from 1.63 to 1.7 before doing anything else though.

Well, it's good to know the DS Lite can be recovered, now.

I got the latest patcher software, too, and still nothing. Maybe I just need to wait for the next patch until these things will work...

Of course, in the meantime, I'll probably end up getting impatient and buying a Slot-1 device. My friends both have EZFlash V and it works just fine with the things that're giving me trouble. And I can still keep the SuperCard for GBA stuff. So, aside from being out like $80, everything will almost work out just fine. >.O

Thanks for the help, everyone. ^^

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd. Have you tried holding L+R at bootup to start the self-test? Do you get any error messages aside from the normal "not find test file" error?

EDIT: Also, which games are you trying to play and which patching options are you using?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.