Help me get back on track after not updating anything in 2 years :(

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by EZGBATemp, Jul 30, 2013.

1. EZGBATemp
    OP

EZGBATemp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Alright so long story short, I completely forgot I had a DSI and now I have my eyes set on the new 3DS. I'm also fortunate enough to have my acekard 2i still functional I've seen it has new firmware for the 3DS.

My DSI is still on 1.4(2009? 0.o)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi_system_software

ACekard 2i: I've just updated akio to 1.9.0 but i know it won't do anything in this situtation

Last thing i use to update the firm was with the use of ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=21995.0

I"v also picked up why there isn't one for 1.4.5; do to lack of space or something if i'm correct but it doesn't really matter in my case.

The main problem is how to update my acekard 2i for the 3DS i'm getting real soon. So is there some trick that involves my DSi first because obviously if i just put in the newly bought 3DS which has the lastest update, it wouldn't work.

2. Xarsah16

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say, but the Acekard2i will NOT work with any 3DS firmware above version 4.3. If the 3DS you are getting ever gets updated, and/or it is past 4.3 when you purchase it, your AK2i will not be able to work with it at all.

The AK2i is dead. The team is sleeping and no longer supports the cart, despite it still being sold. At this point, every temper would advise you to purchase a new flash cart.

If all you're looking for is emulating DS games, the R4i gold 3DS is the way to go. If you would like some GBA and SNES compatibility, SuperCard DSTwo is the way to go. R4i Gold 3DS is about $20, and the DSTwo is about $40 and worth the extra money. DSTwo has never needed a hardware revision since release, and the latest R4i update requires the cutting of a signal line on older carts, which requires it to be opened up. Newer R4i Gold 3DS carts should have this step already completed.

The 3 most recommended websites to buy from are
    nds-card.com (our sponsor)
    zhuzhuchina.com (my favorite, ordered 3 carts no issues)
    realhotstuff.hk

3. EZGBATemp
    OP

EZGBATemp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Alright, looks like i should get rid of my acekard 2i than. What other flash cards should i get, i know there's another famous called the gateway,right?

4. EZGBATemp
    OP

EZGBATemp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    ^ same post

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  6. Xarsah16

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    What Rydian said, and I guess you missed my whole spiel about the R4i Gold 3DS and Supercard DSTwo... :( It was all there in my post.

7. EZGBATemp
    OP

EZGBATemp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Understandable.

Can you clarify when you meant "If all you're looking for is emulating DS games, the R4i gold 3DS is the way to go." The R4i gold 3DS can play all DS roms from the orginial(DS,DSI) to current 3DS games, than i'll get it. But nonetheless Thank you very much.

One more question; After seeing this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software
    I must ask, once i get the R4i, how can i update to the firmware for 6.1.0-12 specifically?

Please explain more on this
    "latest R4i update requires the cutting of a signal line on older carts, which requires it to be opened up. Newer R4i Gold 3DS carts should have this step already completed"

Or do i simply just put it in and play once i get from the mail lol

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The basic process is the same as with the Ak2i, you download the firmware file and run it. Only older specific versions needed to cut the line with this one, if you get a new one you'll be fine.

9. Xarsah16

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    I'm going to quote Rydian - just to make sure we're all on the same page.

I meant exactly what I said - as far as the best support, best features, and best compatibility for GBA and SNES (despite DS emulation not being that great of a scene, it's okay) the Supercard DSTwo will work the best. It also plays DS roms, of course.

The R4i Gold 3DS will play DS games with little to no issue, but emulators will not run as well on it compared to the Supercard DSTwo.

In other words, Rydian has been saying all along that NOTHING at this time plays 3DS roms!

In order to update some older R4i gold carts to the latest DS firmware, as I said, one of the steps was to manually open up the cartridge casing, take out the PCB (motherboard) and take an x-acto knife or small razor blade to a certain section on the left side of the board, making a cut in the wiring on the cart. It is a highly invasive procedure, and doing it wrong could brick the cart.

Reputable flash cart sellers like Zhuzhuchina and NDS-card.com already have completed this step on these models - so you should be able to load up the microSD card, pop it in the R4, and then play the R4 on your 3DS with no issue. Always make sure when you buy that the cartridge says it is compatible with Nintendo's current firmware - which at the time of writing this is 6.1.

I wouldn't worry too much about this - and it would be no issue if you bought the DSTwo instead. Supercard has a wonderful reliability when it comes to support - they have proven themselves to the DS community and as far as I know, they've been making carts since the GBA days. The EOS - Supercard DSTwo's operating system is very easy to learn - I went from an Acekard2i to a DSTwo with no trouble at all.

The original R4 team has disbanded quite a long time ago - and the GBATemp community has identified the best R4 models currently being supported on the market. R4i Gold 3DS is the best supported R4 option. Wood is very similar to AKAIO - the best Acekard2i firmware there was.

If you purchase a flash cart that is up to date/flashed to work with the latest Nintendo firmware, then all you have to do is set up your microSD card and then pop it in the system and start playing. If you need tutorials, we can link you to some or basically type this stuff verbatim - it's so easy. This would be after the cart is in your hands after the mail.

10. EZGBATemp
    OP

EZGBATemp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Alright so to some things up. ATM no flash card can technically play 3DS roms. With the small exception of the gateway which has been released, i have hope it does the trick.

Meanwhile to play normal DS games i should get the R4i Gold 3DS and the Supercard DSTwo. If the gateway doesn't do the trick I'll get the Supercard DSTwo.

As for the manual update for R4i, wow lol
    But its good Zhuzhuchina and NDS-card.com do that for you ^^

Well its been a while since the gateways release, i know it takes time to fully confirm it when making a review video but aren't there any threads of someone or people that already bought it and keeping us updated on how's it going?