Hacking Help me disable the hold button for PSP GO

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hello, my power switch is broken and locks the buttons without me touching it. I want to disable the hold part so it doesn't do anything, remove the part from the code, put gibberish in the variable or make the hold button a combination of start and select pressed at the same time anything works. I can barely use my psp because it locks all the keys. I opened the back but I really don't want to replace any parts.

I found a post which mentions a plugin called Hold+, and a thread which is about disabling the volume down button.

In the last thread people say it works, I would like to alter the code so it affects the hold button instead of the volume down button. But I'm not experienced at PSP plugins and modding and whatnot and don't know what to do.

I don't know how to edit the files or code new ones, or access which part of the code I need to alter in the psp files. Does anyone know how to disable the hold button?

Also I posted this on reddit, I don't think I'm allowed to link to them since I just created the account, same thing with the reddit post.

Reactions: kittyleximeow

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Can anyone help me? I still can't use my psp because all the keys are constantly locked. Macrofire won't allow me to change power switch hold and wlan switches, I don't know how to use pspsdk either

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I have not looked into the PSP and how it all works for controls to know if such things will work (most of what you describe above could also be a simple redirect (most devices just copy the control state every frame or so and you can edit this with various things to remap buttons -- "if X pressed set X to not pressed and set O to pressed" sort of thing) and thus it might be that even if you did add the alternative combo that it would not work.

What I would more be thinking is if you are comfortable enough taking the back off if you could get access to the traces on the hold button and cut them with a scalpel or something to in turn disable it -- I imagine there are three pins at least (ground, power on and hold but might be more). That way you can then install a plugin if you want and still have the hold function if you think it necessary.
The better way would be to replace the switch or to open the switch up (good luck, though some have done worse) and clean it, bend things back and do whatever is necessary to get it working again.

Reactions: Kyndle

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I really don't want to cut any of the wires, I had already thought of that. I may not able to put it back together properly or cut the wrong wire.
I found a plugin that disables the voldown button and in main.c I changed psp_ctrl_voldown to psp_ctrl_hold, that did nothing. I didn't change anything in the prx file because I don't know how to open that. I also don't know how to access the actual system files on the psp.
The plugin to disable the voldown is this. I just opened the main.c and changed the psp_ctrl_voldown to psp_ctrl_hold, put it in seplugins. and put ef0:/seplugins/buttonblk/buttonblk.prx 1 in both game.txt and vsh.txt. The psp still locks all the keys by itself. I never made or edited a plugin before, so I might have to edit prx, I can't find a way of doing that either.
If anyone wants to and knows how to make the plugin I would really appreciate it, for now I'm trying to edit the existing one, but I also need help with that

Attachments

• buttonblk (1).zip
    9 KB · Views: 163

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
@YotiReal I downloaded pspsdk but don't know how to recompile it
I'm not sure if that's what you need to recompile it or how to do it, the people in other threads mentioned it

Last edited by Kyndle,

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
couldn't find the value or enum for the PSP GO home button (probably PSP_CTRL_HOLD = 0x020000) but I can't be sure, I don't know if it's the hold you're talking about
http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/group__Ctrl.html

and the code you're linking is doing a lot of things for something that looked trivial at first but I believe he's hooking the command STUB of the psp and clearing the bitmask of VOL_DOWN to make sure it's not considered pressed.
line 49 on your main.c
pureButtons &= ~PSP_CTRL_VOLDOWN;

try to change that to PSP_CTRL_HOLD and compile, see if that works, if it doesn't, try to look for the enum (or value) of the PSPGo hold button and do the same thing
if you have the enum:
pureButtons &= "the enum"
or
pureButtons &= 0xTheValue

good luck.

Reactions: Kyndle

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I already changed it to PSP_CTRL_HOLD as I said before, I don't know how to compile it. I already have pspsdk on my c drive and put C:/pspsdk/bin on environmental variables. I have no idea what to do with it or how to compile it. I'm guessing when I compile it it gives me a prx file like the buttonblk.prx in the zip I posted. How do I compile it? When I search it all I find is youtube videos from 2012 with 2 likes and 50 dislikes

Kyndle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Alright I compiled it and it works. I first tried the enum (0x020000) which didn't allow me to use the menu and got stuck on the clock.
I deleted the prx file from the original, changed VOLDOWN to HOLD and compiled it. I turned on my psp go now and it doesn't detect the hold button on the menus or in-game. Which is what I (and many others I found searching other threads) wanted.
Original creator of the disable voldown is codestation on github. https://github.com/codestation
Thanks everyone involved for helping and putting up with someone who has no experience with coding outside of the very basics. I made this way too hard for myself (since the third message I posted had the solution) but at least learnt to use "cd" in command prompt. Thank you so much

Attachments

• disablehold.rar
    12.2 KB · Views: 242

kittyleximeow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I was wondering if you could help me out! I have the exact same problem for my PSPGO and it is frustrating. I really do not want to open the console up or take it to a repair shop. I've literally been trying to search for a solution to my problem for the past couple of weeks and had no luck till I found this! Can you please tell me step by step how you were able to disable the hold button? Thank you :)

BigDaddyWeaves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I compiled it and it works. I first tried the enum (0x020000) which didn't allow me to use the menu and got stuck on the clock.
I deleted the prx file from the original, changed VOLDOWN to HOLD and compiled it. I turned on my psp go now and it doesn't detect the hold button on the menus or in-game. Which is what I (and many others I found searching other threads) wanted.
Original creator of the disable voldown is codestation on github. https://github.com/codestation
Thanks everyone involved for helping and putting up with someone who has no experience with coding outside of the very basics. I made this way too hard for myself (since the third message I posted had the solution) but at least learnt to use "cd" in command prompt. Thank you so much
Thank you so much for uploading this, I was stuck with a really bad PSP that would just not come off of the hold feature. Anyway, I applied the plugin through the recovery menu (somehow I was able to connect through USB). But it worked I turned on my PSP and the XMB was fully functional and there was no more hold icon at the top of the screen. Just smooth scrolling through my games and homebrew. My only problem now is turning the PSP on in the future and accessing the recovery menu since the recovery menu doesn't take into account plugins. I won't be able to move...ah the problems of a used PSP, lol. Thanks anyway it's working for now and that's all I need.

kevdrone3005

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help? I'm just an ordinary dude who doesn't really know how to even install a plugin. I tried a few youtube videos, but nothing works.
My best guess is I'm doing it wrong or this is specifically for PSP go. I have a 2003 model. any detailed instructions on that ?

kevdrone3005

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help? I'm just an ordinary dude who doesn't really know how to even install a plugin. I tried a few youtube videos, but nothing works.
My best guess is I'm doing it wrong or this is specifically for PSP go. I have a 2003 model. any detailed instructions on that ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo