help me decide?

Nekozawa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey fellow Temp'ers, I need your help deciding.

So I'm in a bit of tight budget situation but lately I finally got back to DS scene since I managed to bought a DS lite off fleabay for around 60USD shipped.

Now, I need a good affordable flashcart, by good I mean in need of a card fully compatible with all DS games up to date but also affordable.

So far I managed to do a bit of a research and found myself in a bit favor of DSTT
http://shoptemp.com/products/DSTT-Card-for...38.html?added=1

my last DS lite which I sold off along with my R4 original wasn't particularly good as I have to jump through a few hoops to get things working.

to ask you guys.. which is the best choice from the store? I'm not currently upgrading to DSi or higher anytime soon so I need a good choice.

again, two things I'm looking for:

-affordable
-high compatibility

if DSTT is the choice, please say so or recommend me something else from the store, thank for you time.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ironically, the best choice now would be the original R4DS that Shoptemp sell.
You say you had to "jump a lot of hurdles to get it working" in the past? Not an issue any more.
Now you can just install Wood R4, and it should work perfectly, having 99.9% perfect compatibility.
That 0.1% being the newest releases, and they get fixed quickly.

Basically, avoid the DSTT because you'll end up jumping even more hurdles than you did before, with Wood R4 that shouldn't be an issue any more.

A lot of people will also suggest the Acekard 2i, but if you're on a really tight budget, save yourself some money. The AK2i offers SDHC support and DSi support, that you probably wouldn't use anyway. Wood R4's compatibility is on par with Acekard.

Nekozawa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ack! I just found out most the SDHC cards I have are the only microSD's I have lying around. Sorry I haven't include that info earlier.

Guess I'll go with the Acekard 2i since it seems to be the clear choice.

@RupeeCloak, The price is just right, the ones that I can't afford are the new Supercard DSTWO/CycloDS.

Last question and I'm done, I'm a bit confused with shipping:

# Hong Kong Air Mail (no packaging) $0.00
# Hong Kong Air Mail $0.00

Does either choice matters?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nekozawa said:
Ack! I just found out most the SDHC cards I have are the only microSD's I have lying around. Sorry I haven't include that info earlier.

Guess I'll go with the Acekard 2i since it seems to be the clear choice.

@RupeeCloak, The price is just right, the ones that I can't afford are the new Supercard DSTWO/CycloDS.

Last question and I'm done, I'm a bit confused with shipping:

# Hong Kong Air Mail (no packaging) $0.00
# Hong Kong Air Mail $0.00

Does either choice matters?

So you mean most of the microSds you have won't work in an R4 then? Ah, then Acekard is probably the best choice for you then.
About shipping, if you pick Hong Kong Air Mail, either of them, you'll wait about 2-5 weeks, but usually just about 2.
If you pick (no packaging), they might send the AK2i without it's plastic-wrap packaging, you'll receive JUST the flashcart.
But I thought the other option was usually $1, have they changed it?

I hope that clears things up.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like they maybe waved that $1 fee for including the packaging.

Nekozawa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot guys, especially Rupee.

Very informative and since I got back to the scene from a long hiatus, some tables have turned I see. Never do I realized that piece of plastic that once plagued with so many compatibility issues (R4) has been improvised. It's been 2 years since I last post here as I forgot my old user/pw so I guess things have changed for the better while I was gone.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'd be surprised, we all were.
The original R4 was the Slot-1 solution that started it all, and though it started out expensive and well-supported, it eventually turned cheap, and unsupported thanks to competition and lawsuits.

But then out of nowhere, Yellow Wood Goblin managed to get his Wood RPG firmware working on the original R4, and single-handedly made it into a brilliant budget solution.

Anyhow, glad to have been of help. If you want to say thanks in any way, buy from the link in my signature, it'll help me out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night