help me decide on a budget gfx card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by beamquaker, Nov 11, 2012.

Nov 11, 2012
  1. beamquaker
    OP

Member beamquaker Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    hi i am stuck between a hd 6670 ddr 5 and a gt 640 dd3 they are both costing £62 .

its for my 9 year old son . i just need a basic entry level card . what do u good people think. Which one should i go for.

2. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    beamquaker likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    They're quite similar those 2. The only major difference is the 6670 is slightly faster memory wise (although probably not noticeable) and the 640 has a better pixel/texel rate.

Also, a tip, if you're ever torn between 2 relatively similar GPUs just Google "Radeon HD 6670 vs GeForce GT 640" and you can usually find benchmark comparisons.

beamquaker likes this.
  4. beamquaker
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks alot . i already looked at the benchmarks and it makes choosing harder as they appear to trade blows . im on a tight budget for xmas so its all i can afford or i would get him something better. he would only be playing minecraft and wants guild wars 2 . the gtx 650 looks great tho .

5. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    If you're only going to be running guild wars 2 and minecraft you can get away with a much cheaper card than any of those. Those games can run optimally on a geforce gt 8600 which is like 5 year old tech. You can pick up card that would be more than sufficient for around $30 usd.

beamquaker likes this.
  6. beamquaker
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have put together a pc for his xmas for £210 . so even with either of those 2 cards i am still within my budget . my plan is if he get into playing games on his pc he can always upgrade . thanks for all the help .

7. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    tom's hardware best gpu for the money guide favor the 6670 because they base themselves on newegg's price and the gt 640 is 20$ more expensive there.

Both cards trade blow, but the 640's TDP is a little bit lower.
    Pick the cheapest or whichever your heart tell you to get and go in peace

beamquaker likes this.