Hacking HELP ME Corrupted save and 1M sub circuit board...

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello GBAtemp I have a problem when I launch GBA games
I have a message (photo)
I can't save...
Help me...
I'm on emunand luma 11.1 with sys 9.2
FOTAB6C.jpg
FOTB5DD.jpg

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They use it because they have more data allocation to allow RAM saving. The 3DS cannot make use of those saves in GBA mode because they were not implemented as most VC GBA releases use 64/32kb saves and they don't offer Pokemon on the eShop for GBA when they are one of the only titles (if not only) that use 128kb save files. This is why they work with an emulator on the 3DS but not the GBA mode when installed as a .CIA.

And they DO NOT work fine with a 64kb save, hence the 1M circuit board message.....

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Curious, why are Pokemon FR/LG/E using 128k saves if they work fine with 64k saves? Does anyone outside of Nintendo know?

They do NOT "work fine" when forced into half the storage.

You will still get (misleading) "save is corrupted, using previous one" on startup.
That's because Pokemon uses half of the save as a backup of the other half, saving one time on the left and another on the right so you have a backup if you stop the game while it's saving; with the patch you don't!

This is also why this patch doesn't work on other 128k-flash games that actually use more than 64k for one save!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And they DO NOT work fine with a 64kb save, hence the 1M circuit board message.....

"hence the 1M circuit board message", that's hardly logical reasoning as that's the message you get when you don't mod the ROM. So concluding anything based off that would be ignorant.

Also if that was/is the only issue (a message, with working saves), that'd absolutely be working fine.

They do NOT "work fine" when forced into half the storage.

You will still get (misleading) "save is corrupted, using previous one" on startup.
That's because Pokemon uses half of the save as a backup of the other half, saving one time on the left and another on the right so you have a backup if you stop the game while it's saving; with the patch you don't!

This is also why this patch doesn't work on other 128k-flash games that actually use more than 64k for one save!

So it works fine, with the disadvantage of safe saving. That's a limitation I was looking for, thanks!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"hence the 1M circuit board message", that's hardly logical reasoning as that's the message you get when you don't mod the ROM. So concluding anything based off that would be ignorant.

Also if that was/is the only issue (a message, with working saves), that'd absolutely be working fine.

So it works fine, with the disadvantage of safe saving. That's a limitation I was looking for, thanks!
You know, you can correct someone without insulting them.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"hence the 1M circuit board message", that's hardly logical reasoning [...] Also if that was/is the only issue (a message, with working saves), that'd absolutely be working fine.

Nintendo is a stupid and anticonsumer Traditional Japanese Company, it's reasonable for a Japanese person to have poor English...
1M = 1 megabit = 128 kilobytes
sub-circuit board = something less than a full circuit board = a single chip

so, "the 128k flash storage chip is not available [and you won't be able to save]" :)

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, you can correct someone without insulting them.

I genuinely didn't mean to insult, what did you take as insulting?

Nintendo is a stupid and anticonsumer Traditional Japanese Company, it's reasonable for a Japanese person to have poor English...

so, "the 128k flash storage chip is not available [and you won't be able to save]" :)

Yes (and thanks for deciphering that for me hehe), but still wouldn't have helped me conclude the disadvantages to using 64KB vs 128KB memory :P.

Last edited by LongTimeLurker,

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thats the kind of little information that really makes gbatemp a great place.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Your solution was posted in the second post.

@Ryccardo I wonder why they even included the message if they had no intention of supporting it.
I wage that it was because their proto PCBs required an additional PCB with the 1M flash chip on it.

EDIT: I didn't know how a GBA dev card looked like until I googled it - the central connector confirms my theory above, methinks.

T1i_7962s.JPG

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wage that it was because their proto PCBs required an additional PCB with the 1M flash chip on it.

EDIT: I didn't know how a GBA dev card looked like until I googled it - the central connector confirms my theory above, methinks.

T1i_7962s.JPG
Given that it's on the second screen in the image above, I assumed it was an emulator message.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Given that it's on the second screen in the image above, I assumed it was an emulator message.
The ROM used is the same one that was commercially released - the fact that the game requires a PCB wouldn't make much sense on an emulator, so it's clearly a message meant for devs using real hardware back then.

Reactions: LongTimeLurker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: