Help me convince my wife!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by zidane_genome, Jul 2, 2008.

Jul 2, 2008
  1. zidane_genome
    OP

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I need to convince my wife to let me buy a mod chip for out Wii... only thing is, it can't be a solder chip... I've heard of the WiiClips and such... can you give me some links, and some advice on which is the best to get?

I have a replacement Wii from Nintendo (gfx glitch on my original, sent in, gave me a new one), and don't know what board I have. I'm on 3.3U, and have the TP hack like crazy (homebrew and hacked VC)

Let's get her convinced so I don't have to sit in the dark on the homebrew scene!

2. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Why not get another wii! and hack that one!

3. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    I live in the US, and the depression is killing us here... I wish I could, but alas, I don't have the extra money for a brand new Wii...

4. Koekje

Member Koekje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Hmm, you're lucky, in The Netherlands is even food unpayable!

5. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Are you Matt Zidane?

6. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    haha, no, not Matt... I picked the name from Final Fantasy 9... Zidane Tribal, but since that was taken when I chose the name years ago, I changed tribal to genome, since in the game, he was part of the genome project.

Anyway, back on topic?

7. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Buy her a ticket to Hawaii and sent her here, buy yourself a chip and solder it [​IMG]

8. Koekje

Netherlands
    1 word: PERFECT! [​IMG]

9. HoYack

Newcomer HoYack Member

Croatia
    Why spending money on ticket for Hawaii when he can say his sick mother is coming and the wife will simply go away [​IMG]

Or you can be a man and stand up for yourself, stop being scared of your own wife.

10. phunk

Newcomer phunk Newbie

United Kingdom
    That's tough dude :-(

The first thing my g/f says when i get a new console or gadget is 'so, you'll be opening it up to chip or mod it?' ;-D

seriously though, she musn't have much faith in you if she wont let you drop a chip in it. that's heavy...

11. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My girlfriend whos been living with me for 3 years begged me to leave the wii alone....i convinced her it was a good idea, and after the fact, she was super pumped because it opened up more gaming experiences for her.

i'd say use the twilight hack products (such as emus) as a selling point, but you've already got that covered.

12. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    Ok, can someone post some good links to products like I requested... link to the chips YOU have... let me know your feelings on the chip YOU have...

Don't tell me to buy her a ticket to Hawaii, or some stupid shit like that. If you can't supply a GOOD reply, don't reply at all... for those commenting on how much she's in charge, think of it like your mom, since most of you aren't even 16 yet. Would your MOM or DAD let you fry a system that THEY paid for? No. When your married, there isn't any My Stuff, Her Stuff... it's OUR STUFF.

We aren't super rich, so I can't go out and buy 17 Wii's just to experiment on. I made this topic to get info on solderless chips to inform not only me, but her as well. I've had some bad experiences with PS2 mod chips, and after I bought my G6 Real for the DS, they pretty much stopped updating it. I'm trying to get advice on what chips are good, and which are bad.

Think of this as a "GIVE YOUR EXPERIENCE" thread.

Answer these questions;

What chip do you have?
    Is it solderless, or can it be made solderless?
    How reliable are updates for your chip?
    Can you keep your Wii firmware up to date, or do you have to be at or below 3.2?
    Can you post a link to the shop you bought it from?

If you can't answer at least one of these, please don't post in this thread. If you post something stupid, or assanine, as half the posts here already are, I will report them as off topic, since they are.

13. Koekje

Netherlands
    1: D2PRO.
    2: It needs to be soldered as far as i know.
    3: It don't need any updates, it works with every game (Also problemgames such as Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl) right from the scratch. Actually there is a wire coming out of the Slot A Gamecube port, which can be used to eventually update it with an optional tool if needed somehow (D2Prog).
    4: Firmware doesn't matter in any way, you should more care about things such as the Twilight Hack rather then the modchip, it's not affected by the firmware in any way so far.
    5: I wish i could post a link to the shop, but it doesn't have one, i hope it won't be a problem, i can't help it. Sorry for it. But i guess there will be shops in the USA which sells these chips. [​IMG]
    I hope that helped you a bit out [​IMG]

14. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've got an extra D2CKey + Wii-clip, for if you have a D2C Wii (which seems likely, since you got it replaced). It's an older D2C modchip, which is why it's so cheap, but as long as you have the D2C drive, it should work fine. Basically you solder the D2CKey to the WiiClip, and then it simply clips onto the Wii (no permanent modification to the Wii...if it doesn't work, or you need to send it in for repairs, etc, just unclip it). From my research it's been one of the most stable modchips, not needing updates etc. Also, Wii firmware updates shouldn't matter either, as with D2PRO. Read this, and PM me if you're interested.

15. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    OK, seems I have the D2B chip... which is weird, because everyone said that with a replaced Wii (from Nintendo) I should have a D2C chip...

Is there still a solderless option for me?

16. Hiratai

United States
    Get a modchip and a Wlip. It costs a pretty penny, though.

17. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    Any suggestions on what I can get? links please... I opened my Wii up, and now just wanna get a chip... I'm only looking for a solderless one, so please, any links someone might have, please post them. thanks

18. Hiratai

United States
  19. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    Ok, so I watched the lil video on installation, and it says that the mod chip isn't included, but the small chip they show doesn't look like a mod chip... what do i need with the Wlip?

20. Hiratai

United States
    The modchip you want, any one.