Help me choosing a modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sakesweet, Apr 11, 2008.

1. sakesweet
    OP

sakesweet Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hello,

I want to mod my wii, but I am still struggling with the question of which modchip I have to pick.

I got a D2B Wii. Soldering is not a problem for me.

For a long time I was thinking of wiikey, but since 1.9s looks like the last update, I don't really trust Wiikey anymore. After Wasabi was announced, I was thinking of that one, but since I haven't heard good things of Wasabi, I'm not going to pick that one.

If someone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it

2. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    The open source mod chips looks good, how about them? you get a choice of firmwares i believe since it is basically a PIC.

Isn't Wasabi new to the mod chip scene? correct me if I'm wrong. If they are then you won't here a lot of good things about them if they just joined

3. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Wasabi ...

4. Colesy

Colesy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2007
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, I have a Wiikey and I am quite happy...where did you hear that 1.9s is the last update...yes it takes them time to get the update out...but if that is all you are going on, I would not say it is dead yet.

I could be wrong, but I have just not heard that it (Wiikey) is dead.

5. Bob Evil

Sep 27, 2006
    1.9s has barely been out any time ... updates aren't weekly, ya know.

6. Colesy

Colesy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2007
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree Bob...that is why it seems odd to say it is the last one...everyone thought Wiikey was dead before 1.9g

7. Bob Evil

Sep 27, 2006
    Good job he hasn't got a YAOSM, like I do lol ... he'd be panicking by now [​IMG]

8. sakesweet
    OP

sakesweet Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    Read this: Click
    It says that 1.9s is likely the last update for the chip. So, their may be another update, but personally I doubt it.

Can you maybe tell me something more about Wasabi then? There aren't any reviews for it, except for GBAtemp's one.

Open-source modchips aren't really my thing. I'm not really good at building stuff.

9. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    * It's the first chip that works on all drives, from DMS to latest D2C drives (including GC2-D1A).
    * It's the first D2C compatible chip that is upgradable from DVD.
    * It's the easiest chip to install on D2C: only 9 wires, only 3 of them connected to a pin/via.
    * It's the easiest chip to install on DMS and D2B as well: No need to use a dremel or super-glue with "cut-pin" drives, and there's no pin/via to solder even with the latest D2B boards.
    * It's the first D2C compatible chip that is as clean as DMS/D2B drivechips: full control over the drive's firmware, no physical patching on the lines while the games are running. That means perfect stability, more control, and no stress on the drive's components.
    * Best of all, it's the first chip to include a decent amount of flash memory (128KB) for firmware and data storage.

[​IMG]

http://www.wasabi.net.cn/index.html

You don't need to build stuff. Buy a Programmer and a PIC. Flash the pic with firmware and install (making
    sure you leave the pic outside the wii if you want a easy update.

10. Defiance

Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Terminus
    I recommend just waiting...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice