Hardware Help me choose out a good gaming laptop?

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hai, my notebook I have has an annoying fan noise, and it over heats often, so I got the opportunity to pick out a good gaming laptop. Anything that is cheap you would find it general retail would be good, and its quite decent to run gaming and video for sure.

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming laptop? Do you really think your "gaming" laptop won't overheat? I recommend that you get a PC instead because you can customize it and build it to suit your needs, plus have a huge monitor etc. However, if you're not willing to budge (and if you can spend quite a bit), the Razer Blade 2013 would be a good choice.

EDIT: Just read the keyword "cheap". You aren't going to get a decent gaming laptop for anything lower than a grand.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Laptops are not meant for gaming, and there is no such thing as cheap gaming laptop. Should you want a laptop that does well on gaming you must spend quite a bit on it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptops are not meant for gaming, and there is no such thing as cheap gaming laptop. Should you want a laptop that does well on gaming you must spend quite a bit on it.

Laptops dedicated for gaming are exorbitantly overpriced and are at that point a desktop replacement. He would be better off getting a desktop, that's what I did ;)

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your price range? Gaming laptops go around $900 so if that's too much get a desktop if you can.
Not only that, but desktops have amazingly better performance compared to those of laptops in the same price range.

But if you're set out on finding a laptop I'll try to help, but I can't guarantee you that it'll be great for gaming.

alex_0706

darknessblade
Trophies
Website
nolink.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
well for that price you cant get a gaming pc
start with a good processor and a onboard video card (motherboard)
a hdd (upgrade to ssd if you have the money)
a 30-50$ case should be good (again if you have more money you can get a better one)
a 500-750 watt psu should be good
if you have 400$ more buy a better motherboard and videocard (based on 500$ pc)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For that price you can get a cheap gaming PC. It will play games, just don't expect Battlefield 4 maxed out.

Get a good AMD APU, compatible motherboard, and the cheapest case/PSU deal available. And 4GB of the cheapest DDR3 RAM you can find. Recycle a HDD, monitor and keyboard from the computer you already have (or buy if you don't have one yet). If you have any money left over (or don't mind saving a little), then just get a better one of the above parts (e.g. better APU, better PSU, bigger HDD, etc).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For that price you can get a cheap gaming PC. It will play games, just don't expect Battlefield 4 maxed out.

Get a good AMD APU, compatible motherboard, and the cheapest case/PSU deal available. And 4GB of the cheapest DDR3 RAM you can find. Recycle a HDD, monitor and keyboard from the computer you already have (or buy if you don't have one yet). If you have any money left over (or don't mind saving a little), then just get a better one of the above parts (e.g. better APU, better PSU, bigger HDD, etc).

APU + 4GB of cheapest DDR3 RAM is the worst configuration one can do (even when you drop gaming resolution). It will be a wasteful spending. APU gaming performance is highly depended on DDR3 configuration.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Might want to recommend my laptop, a HP G6-2123us. Definitely not meant for games, but it has AMD A6-4400m and Radeon 7520g graphics card, which is actually sort of decent. I can play the AC games on medium-high settings, Skyrim on medium, Saints Row 3 on low, etc. Just remember to download D3DOverrider or RadeonPro, because the games might need minor tweaks. The laptop screams "budget" but for some reason they gave it a pretty good graphics card. It has 4gb of Ram and has another slot.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Me lappie is an old late 07 model.

2.4Ghz C2D, 265MB Radeon HD, 4GB DDR 2 RAM, 500 GB HHD, 15.4" 1680x1050 screen.
It runs Bioshock Infinite on low GFX without any lag.

Laptops aren't for gaming?
Not quite true, their indeed not for hardcore gaming.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
APU + 4GB of cheapest DDR3 RAM is the worst configuration one can do (even when you drop gaming resolution). It will be a wasteful spending. APU gaming performance is highly depended on DDR3 configuration.
It's not that bad, but the main point is to make the most of a limited budget.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Lenovo Y570 and while it's not high end, it cost me about $850 USD and runs many emulators and games just fine (games at high settings, not gonna happen), but it does get hot if you don't have a laptop cooler (it can get close to 90 or so Celsius range under heavy load without one). You can thank the beefy Core i7, those things get pretty dang hot! Has a GeForce GT555M, which has 2 GB of GDDR5, so that helps.

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im using a toshiba a-660 and it can handle just about everything iv thrown at it
i got mine for $200 on ebay

You certainly don't play a lot of games, because it has a 330 M which is 4 generations old now and is also a low end card.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$290-$500

There are probably other, more realistic options in this price range, but if you watch the Dell Outlet (there resale center for refurbished and returned models), you can easily grab an Alienware X51 for that price. Cool little machine that will handle most if not all games (dependent on the model you go with).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's certainly better than the first but it's not awesome either.