Help me choose out a good gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ComeTurismO, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Hai, my notebook I have has an annoying fan noise, and it over heats often, so I got the opportunity to pick out a good gaming laptop. Anything that is cheap you would find it general retail would be good, and its quite decent to run gaming and video for sure.

2. Zorua

Zorua I'm not a furry.

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Gaming laptop? Do you really think your "gaming" laptop won't overheat? I recommend that you get a PC instead because you can customize it and build it to suit your needs, plus have a huge monitor etc. However, if you're not willing to budge (and if you can spend quite a bit), the Razer Blade 2013 would be a good choice.

EDIT: Just read the keyword "cheap". You aren't going to get a decent gaming laptop for anything lower than a grand.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Laptops are not meant for gaming, and there is no such thing as cheap gaming laptop. Should you want a laptop that does well on gaming you must spend quite a bit on it.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Laptops dedicated for gaming are exorbitantly overpriced and are at that point a desktop replacement. He would be better off getting a desktop, that's what I did ;)

5. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    What's your price range? Gaming laptops go around $900 so if that's too much get a desktop if you can.
    Not only that, but desktops have amazingly better performance compared to those of laptops in the same price range.

But if you're set out on finding a laptop I'll try to help, but I can't guarantee you that it'll be great for gaming.

6. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    Meh. True, actually. Alright, lets switch over to PCs!

7. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Price range?

8. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    $290-$500

9. alex_0706

alex_0706 darknessblade

May 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    well for that price you cant get a gaming pc
    start with a good processor and a onboard video card (motherboard)
    a hdd (upgrade to ssd if you have the money)
    a 30-50$ case should be good (again if you have more money you can get a better one)
    a 500-750 watt psu should be good
    if you have 400$ more buy a better motherboard and videocard (based on 500$ pc)

10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    For that price you can get a cheap gaming PC. It will play games, just don't expect Battlefield 4 maxed out.

Get a good AMD APU, compatible motherboard, and the cheapest case/PSU deal available. And 4GB of the cheapest DDR3 RAM you can find. Recycle a HDD, monitor and keyboard from the computer you already have (or buy if you don't have one yet). If you have any money left over (or don't mind saving a little), then just get a better one of the above parts (e.g. better APU, better PSU, bigger HDD, etc).

11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    APU + 4GB of cheapest DDR3 RAM is the worst configuration one can do (even when you drop gaming resolution). It will be a wasteful spending. APU gaming performance is highly depended on DDR3 configuration.

12. ShadowFyre

ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2010
    United States
    San Diego
    Might want to recommend my laptop, a HP G6-2123us. Definitely not meant for games, but it has AMD A6-4400m and Radeon 7520g graphics card, which is actually sort of decent. I can play the AC games on medium-high settings, Skyrim on medium, Saints Row 3 on low, etc. Just remember to download D3DOverrider or RadeonPro, because the games might need minor tweaks. The laptop screams "budget" but for some reason they gave it a pretty good graphics card. It has 4gb of Ram and has another slot.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Me lappie is an old late 07 model.

2.4Ghz C2D, 265MB Radeon HD, 4GB DDR 2 RAM, 500 GB HHD, 15.4" 1680x1050 screen.
    It runs Bioshock Infinite on low GFX without any lag.

Laptops aren't for gaming?
    Not quite true, their indeed not for hardcore gaming.

14. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's not that bad, but the main point is to make the most of a limited budget.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I have a Lenovo Y570 and while it's not high end, it cost me about $850 USD and runs many emulators and games just fine (games at high settings, not gonna happen), but it does get hot if you don't have a laptop cooler (it can get close to 90 or so Celsius range under heavy load without one). You can thank the beefy Core i7, those things get pretty dang hot! Has a GeForce GT555M, which has 2 GB of GDDR5, so that helps.

16. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    im using a toshiba a-660 and it can handle just about everything iv thrown at it
    i got mine for $200 on ebay

17. Zorua

Zorua I'm not a furry.

Oct 11, 2011
    United States

You certainly don't play a lot of games, because it has a 330 M which is 4 generations old now and is also a low end card.

18. alex_0706

alex_0706 darknessblade

May 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    and dont forget he wanted a pc now, not a laptop
    and never buy a laptop over the web you dont know the real state of it.

19. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    There are probably other, more realistic options in this price range, but if you watch the Dell Outlet (there resale center for refurbished and returned models), you can easily grab an Alienware X51 for that price. Cool little machine that will handle most if not all games (dependent on the model you go with).

20. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    With Dell there is always a reason why they sell it cheap. If its new, the PSU and motherboard will suck (Foxconn anyone?). If its refurbished, even more things could go wrong.