Help me buy a new desktop/laptop!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Scott-105, Jul 11, 2010.

Jul 11, 2010
  1. Scott-105
    OP

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    So, as the topic implies, I want to buy myself a new PC. I'm not sure what the specs should be, but I want to be able to play most games smoothly. Also, this is not necessary, but I'd like to be able to emulate PS2 games with PCSX2 smoothly.

Here are some laptops I was looking into:
    Acer laptop
    Toshiba laptop
    HP laptop

If you guys could take a look at these PCs and point me in the right direction that would be awesome! Thanks in advance guys!

2. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    can't get the link to show me the computers, but i myself is using a HP laptop and i have never had any problem with the computer itself.
    my father have a Acer and he always have problem with it and need to format it once a month or else it is slow as hell.
    i tryed a new Toshiba laptop last week and it was about as good as a HP.

3. Scott-105
    OP

Canada
    Do you play games on your HP? If so does it run smoothly and what are the specs?

4. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    i got really shity specs.. sec let me find the info... there we go

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...review=HP+6510b

works well with windows 7

5. Scott-105
    OP

Canada
    Alright thanks

6. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    games i have tested that work:
    Alien vs predator 2
    Counter Strike
    all the half life games run perfect with maybe some lagg in big areas when something big explodes.
    World of warcraft, no uber settings but you can play on low settings and its really smooth
    Deus Ex rofl some lagg but thats only cuz the game is kinda old and so [​IMG]
    hmm what more...
    Far Cry works exelent

well in short you can play most games from 1999 up to 2006 without any big problem. some newer games to that have a good and stable engine

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    When looking for a decent gaming laptop, look for something with at least Core i3 and a HD5650 or higher. Usually you're looking at the £600+ range, so assume around $900+. Of course, older models with a decent Core 2 Duo and a HD4750 or a 8800GT or better can also play games well, but they tend to get a lil hot.

Overgeneralizing here, but a basic overview on laptop manufacturers:
    - Acer have a mixed bag when it comes to laptops (the older ones are a bit unstable sometimes, and the newer ones run like... awesome).
    - HP tend to provide extras at a premium (remote control, flow etched designs, shiny stuff) and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but their top range stuff are fairly good (albeit running hotter than they should).
    - Toshiba make much more basic laptops, putting together the parts and not trying to get all fancy, and that cuts down the price quite a bit. It also means that their laptops don't really exell in any area.
    - Samsung do really nice laptops, but often make a few strange choices when it comes to software, like never including 64bit Windows.
    - Sony do expensive laptops, but they usually have a bit higher quality feel to them too.
    - Asus are rather new to the laptop market, aiming at the lower end but providing interesting features that customers look for, like their mini-OS that can get people online in seconds if they only need to check someone or skype one call before turning it off again, without needing to boot up into Windows.

All manufacturers have their good and bad points, and don't let their reputation decide your laptop for you - decide based on the features that suit you. Or go for a desktop if you don't need the portability and would rather power and stability in games.

When it comes to desktops, it's somewhat easier to make your choice because there are more parts, coming cheaper, and you can just put them together yourself. Look at the budget you have available, then see where it falls in the scale of parts.
    - Motherboard, Core i3 CPU and 4GB of RAM can cost around £200-250, leaving the rest for bigger parts. If you go to Core i7 and 6GB of RAM instead, you're looking at around £500.
    - The HD5670 GPU sells for around £70, whilst the HD5870 is well over £300. 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 will cost £60 per drive, DVD drive will be another £12ish.
    - All that's left is the case and PSU. Antec 902 or 1200 will cost between £80-100 (1200 is bigger, but 902 is still big enough for most people), and are two of the more brilliant cases I've ever worked with because the airflow is well designed.
    - After that, a PSU can cost between £40-80, depending on how much power you think you need. I would guess 650W is the most you'll ever need to look at.

EDIT: Naturally, you'll have to add around 30% more to the prices I've guestimated at when converting £ to canadian $, depending on the current exchange rate that I never look at [​IMG]

8. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Since this wasn't mentioned I'll throw this out there. In order to run PCSX2 well it's reccomended that you get at least a 3.0ghz dual-core, but it really depends what specific games you'd like to run.

PCSX2 isn't optimized for multiple cores, so having a quad core really doesn't amount to much. For example, my i7-720QM processor has a base clock of 1.6, but turbo boost can push a single core up to 2.8. However, PCSX2, as I said earlier isn't optimized for multiple cores; so my i7-720QM really only clocks up to about 2.4ghz as far as PCSX2 is concerned. PCSX2 = Dual Core > Quad at the moment.

Support for multiple cores isn't going to happen for a long time, if ever. If you're looking to run a wide variety of PCSX2 / PS2 games I'd say you're better off going with a desktop since clock-for-clock you'll be able to get a much stronger, cheaper and more overclockable processor than if you went with a laptop.

Code:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4686634_make-pcsx2-run-faster-computer.html
    Good Solid advice in the thread above, if you want to play games on a laptop, then I'd sincerely reccomend playing at native resolution, (the default PS2 size > Computer/Scaling/Resolution)

Code:
    http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Will-PCSX2-run-fast-on-my-computer
    Self-explanatory, the PCSX2 admin is simply going over, in general, which proceessors/features work efficiently.

Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671+600030234+4027&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
    $75-100 Desktop Processor - Dual Core Range. ~ Most of these processors are Highly Overclockable, which does wonders for PCSX2.

As far as laptop brands go, I'm incredibly biased against HP because many of my friends have had tons of problems with them. I suspect this can be said of all manufacturers though. As Originality said about laptops i3/5650 > shouldn't have too many problems running games like FF-X or Kingdom Hearts at native resolution.