Hacking Help Making MMS For PSP 1001

How easy was this to read and understand?

• Hard - (Like Wood (Depending on the kind)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.labatryth.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
What I'm trying to do is create a Magic Memory Stick for MY PSP 1001, which I bricked with a partial flash of official firmware 1.50 with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher, which I ran from 6.60 ME 1.8. Now, I've already tried three memory sticks, all of which I own, one being the newest Sony 8GB Memory Stick PRO HG Duo HX with Magic Gate, one being a standard Sony 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark2 with Magic Gate, and the last being a standard Sony 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark2 with Magic Gate also. None of them have worked for me. What is wrong? I've tried all sorts of MMS maker programs, including PSP Grader, but mainly focusing on re-usage of Rain's Ultra Lite MMS. Let me simplify a list of problems I am having with each memory stick, in different situations. I want this to be as easy to read as possible.

Sony 8GB Memory Stick PRO HG Duo HX with Magic Gate - It seems to work fine in Rain's Ultra Lite MMS program, but the main problem I am having with this stick is that it just won't do anything when I put my Retail Pandora Battery in my PSP and insert the stick, holding the L-Trigger. I am supposing this may be for two reasons:

1. The storage size is too big (MAH SPOON IS TOO BIG!)

or

2. It is one of the newer 8GB memory stick models, being an HG Duo instead of a PRO Duo with Mark2. Thus I suppose it is unsupported if being used as a Magic Memory Stick anyways.

4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark2 with Magic Gate - Now this memory stick is not as big as the 8GB's, so I would assume it to work flawlessly as an MMS (Magic Memory Stick), but apparently I was wrong. I used Rain's Ultra Lite MMS, with the format option checked, and everything appeared to install the way it should. But again I am getting no menu on my PSP when I put my Pandora Battery in and insert the MMS with the L Trigger held down... I tried it the other way also, inserting the stick and then my battery, but ALL I get EITHER way is a green light. No downgrade menu at all. This has me SUPER puzzled, as this should be working, yet it isn't. It also has me super frustrated, but, on with the story.

Sony 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark2 with Magic Gate - This particular memory stick, ironically, has given more problem than the others. Though it is a standard stick, I have trouble getting the TM IPL to inject when using Rain's Ultra Lite MMS Maker, unless I inject the IPL FIRST with "Inject TM IPL Only" and then click "Make MSS". After Rain's finished its work, I again put this stick in my PSP, then put in my battery, holding down the L trigger. Still NO RESULTS!

All of these memory sticks have been formatted with Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. My PSP is black-screening, so I cannot format my memory sticks with my PSP as I need to do. I also have a pseudo error when I try to format ANY of these sticks with mspformat.exe.

I also have another question. Does it matter which size memory stick I use for my PSP MMS? Does it have to be a 1GB or 2GB? I remember using a 2GB Sony standard before, which is now conveniently broken. Does the size matter? Seems it wouldn't...

So, I guess this just leaves me to ask... What do I do now?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did you try changing the button combination in MMS Maker at all? I'm quite suprised that it asks you to hold down the L-Trigger, my config is entirely different.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
L's the default for at least one of the programs (given that modern CFWs have no need for pandora, it's been ages since I've made an MMS combo).

I have had the stick-not-working issue when booting once or twice, but I'm not sure what fixed it, generally I'd try again and it's work.

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Did you try changing the button combination in MMS Maker at all? I'm quite suprised that it asks you to hold down the L-Trigger, my config is entirely different.

Actually I haven't ever tried changing the button configuration at all. I didn't think it would work, but I'll give it a shot. I also have a messed up joystick in my PSP right now, which I need to replace. Do you think that may be giving the system input and distracting it from running the downgrader software?

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
L's the default for at least one of the programs (given that modern CFWs have no need for pandora, it's been ages since I've made an MMS combo).

I have had the stick-not-working issue when booting once or twice, but I'm not sure what fixed it, generally I'd try again and it's work.

Right. I downgraded to 1.50 with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. It crashed at a partial flash and quit me to XMB. Then I turned on my PSP and nothing. I have no recovery menus with triggers in 1.50. It's official firmware.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've had the "Pandora not working" issue a few times as well due to the fact that my MSPD reader was kinda slow. The solution for me was downloading a pre-prepared package and using that.
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|407p7|205252925|PandoraInstallmentKit_By_CINcinTM.rar|50750|0|0
Password: cincintm

Copy over the contents of this archive (there's no copyrighted content in it) to the memory stick, then hold down the Up arrow on the PSP with the stick inserted and put the Pandora battery in - it SHOULD boot just fine. Then, you're free to install 5.00 OFW.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Memory Stick size should not be an issue as far as I know and you should be able to format the stick with just about any program - just make sure that you disable the "Hide System or Hidden Files" disabled in Windows before copying the files. Just to give credit where credit is due, this is an ancient package from cincintm's Pandora tutorial - it was made back in the day when MMS Makers where not available. If you run into any issues, please post again and I'll prep a Magic Stick for you myself - I sent you this one merely because I had no time in the morning to make my own and I know for a fact that it worked on my PSP since I used it a year ago when I had no means to create a stick all by myself due to the forementioned crappy stick reader. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh? Alright then, you posted during my reply, lol. Well then, I'll post some instructions for you when I get the time, probably in the evening. In the meantime, can you tell me if your Pandora battery is charged up and does the Power LED light up when you insert it at all? Also, have you injected IPL onto the stick using the stick maker? Finally, what File System have you used during formating? There's hope for your 4GB stick, rule out the 8GB one for now.

EDIT: Just to avoid Triple-Posting (sorry about the Double-Post, I was on mobile and over a Proxy - editing was not exactly convenient), I'll post my quick hint here.

I now know why L Trigger was not my default key - I'm not using Rain's MMS Maker, I'm using PSP Pandora Deluxe v3.3 which I suggest using due to its myriad of functions. Now, what I'd like you to do with it is inject a 5.00 OFW (you can get it online for free), then proceed to Formal + Prepare Magic Memory Stick with Inject IPL checked, Scan for Removable Drives, select the Memory Stick Drive Location, then Start.

There are some additional installation options and useful utilities that you may want to install - if you feel like you need any of them, you can choose them in the various tabs and select their Boot Settings before making the Stick - I'm merely giving you the basic config.

Once finished, insert the MMS into your PSP, hold down the Down button on the D-Pad, insert the Pandora Battery and wait. This should turn on Time Machine with the option to install 5.00 OFW. If it does not, report. :P

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for helping me. Yes, the Green light comes on when I insert my battery, and I charged it a little before using. I'll try the information you posted, thank you so much!!! And yes did try injecting IPL already. I tried it before and then did Create MMS too. I used Fat32, via Windows GUI, then FAT, via command line, but I was having trouble getting my bigger cards to FAT.

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
My first attempt at this method has been unsuccessful. Though I checked "Use MSPFORMAT". I'm trying without now. Using 4 GB stick for this. (Did not format beforehand)

EDIT: Second attempt failed also. 4 GB memory stick, unchecked mspformat option. This is beginning to seem hopeless. :(

Should I go out and buy a standard Sony 2GB stick? I KNOW that one worked for me way back when, but my old 2GB broke a while ago.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright, this might be a long shot, but have you tried formatting the stick to FAT16? Technically the capacity limit is 2GB however you can bypass it by using 64kb clusters. Then, attempt making the stick again without formatting it again - just inject the IPL and prep the stick with either maker.

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I tried it with the 4GB stick and the 2GB one I got today...no results...I think I am screwed. One minor difference I noticed...my old 2GB was not a mark2. This one is. What does this mean?

Could my messed up joystick be causing this? Or did I really crash my PSP this bad? Should I change out for a 1GB stick?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For all intents and purposes, Time Machine should work even in the event of destroyed FLASH - you're doing something wrong.

Try out the cincintm package on the 2GB stick once more, do format it with standard values. If that fails, use Deluxe. If all fails, change the button config. After making a stick, you can read the status of the installation in the last tab - check if everything was successful. You literally can't brick a PSP-100x unless you physically destroy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back