help! : Loud buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Dumari, Mar 28, 2007.

Mar 28, 2007

help! : Loud buzzing sound by Dumari at 7:38 PM (1,261 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Dumari
    OP

Newcomer Dumari Member

United States
    I just got my Wii back from a pre-modder who I have trust in from previous transactions and apon hooking everything up the system made a horrific buzzing sound when powered on. It loaded perfectly to the channel menu and when I tried to put a disc in it made the sound again, and didn't make any attempt to accept the disc. I then hit the eject button to see if perhaps there's was a disc left inside and it made the eject noise (perfectly normal) but it appears that the drive was in fact empty.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, and if so is it fixable?

2. Dumari
    OP

Newcomer Dumari Member

United States
    the guy had me apply light pressure to the DVD and the system almost took it. Now the disc is sticking out only SLIGHTLY (not enough that I can touch it) and the system refuses to eject or read the disc. It now buzzes louder and longer than before.

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    take it back to him. If he can not fix your console he should buy you a new one. Thats thw way it works with the modder i go to. However the guys i go to would never make a mishap like that, if you decide to mod consoles and chrage people its your responsibilty if the console breaks so the guy should pay for it..

4. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah that sounds like a pretty bad modding job... I hope you can get them to fix it.

Do companies really say they will buy you a new system if they ruin your original? I've never used a modding service, but I imagine the good ones might make that claim.

5. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    hell i offer a free service and i'll give people a new wii or my wii if i skrew their wii up

*Edit*
    err sorry wandered away from the topic as usual, anyhow hmm i agree with others sounds like a bad install since you didnt do anything to cause it take it back. Perhaps he screwed the drive too tight or lost some of those rubber peices that dampen vibration

6. Dumari
    OP

Newcomer Dumari Member

United States
    I talked with him and shipped it back hopefully he'll get it sorted out.

I hold no grudge, he's a good guy I've had nothing but good experiences with him and these things are sure to happen. I'm just hoping it was perhaps shipping (USPS here isn't wonderful) related and something that can be fixed.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you all in on any new info.

7. Dumari
    OP

Newcomer Dumari Member

United States
    Got a message from him today :
    "have some bad news . there was physical damage done to it during shipping . although i was able to fix the drive gears so i was able to accept discs it still will not read them because the laser and the main board was damaged . if i was able to get parts for these things i could possibly fix it but i doubt replacement parts will be available for some time .
    i have removed the chip and put the wii back together taking extra care so it looks like it was not opened and a chip was not installed , so the best advice i could give you right now is if you are able to take it back to the place you bought it and exchange it for a new 1, that would be the easiest thing to do .
    if not call nintendo , they have been replacing these for people and sending them a new 1 within a weeks time because of disc read errors so i doubt they would give you a problem because that is exactly what this 1 is doing ."

Sparing that this is some sort of april fools joke I'm none to thrilled.

It's worth mentioning that I sent the system to him in a large box full of padding with the system firmly in the middle, wrapped in multiple layers of padding and cardboard. When I got the system back it was in a small USPS box and it was placed in a corner stuffed in the DHL bag I got my chip in with some bubble wrap placed around the pack to simply keep it from sliding (what I'm saying is that the system was placed against the corner of the box, so anything that corner of the box went thru the system went thru as well).

I'm reasonable angry right now but I'm going to try to keep my cool until he sends it back, as I don't want to ignite anything and then never even see my system again. However if talks between us don't go well (he didn't even mention giving me ANY money back, not even the install fee) I'll be sure to let people know who this is and why they shouldn't do business with them anymore.

I'm really disappointed because I've had NOTHING but excellent experiences with this place.

8. z0ner

Newcomer z0ner Member

United States
    If you can get a tri-wing or a VERY small flatblade screwdriver, follow the youtube guide and at the very least unscrew it and take pictures of the job. That will give you a good idea whether it's the packing job or if he really f'd up the circuit board.

If everything looks ok, contact Nintendo and do what he suggested. Ask him if he will mod your replacement in good faith - hopefully he will.

If the board looks like hell, post his info up here and spread your story. He has no business screwing up other members.

9. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    when I do installs for people, I always offer to replace it should I kill the Wii. Now this is only for systems that they haven't taken apart before and stuck a 50W soldering gun to of course, lol. I've never had to replace one yet, but I think it's the installers responsibilty to replace the system if they kill it.

10. Dumari
    OP

Newcomer Dumari Member

United States
    I just went ahead and called nintendo. Assuming they repair it I'm not going to be shipping this thing anymore as I just don't want to take the risk.

I'll need to find someone in the Cincinnati area that can do it locally.

All I want is to play imports ;~(