[Help] Logo region of NCCH - how to extract and rebuild?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Rangnarok, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Rangnarok
    OP

Rangnarok Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2004
    Hi everyone,

among all these Pokemon Sun and Moon hype, and from what I've researched so far, this could be an unpopular request, but I think I have reached my wit's end and need your help.

What I am after
    Changing the 3DS logo/animation when booting an app/game

What I have been able to find out is the Logo region is responsible for this (https://github.com/ihaveamac/3DS-rom-tools/wiki/Glossary) . For new games, they are not included in ROMFS or EXEFS.

What I have been able to do so far
    So far, I have been able to use various guides to extract the contents of all NCCH regions from a CIA. The Logo region can also be extracted and in a BIN format.

I can use EveryFileExplorer to open this BIN file and find out that it contains a few different files in various format, including BCLIM. EFE allows you to export/import between BCLIM and PNG, so the format is not a problem.

However, I need a way to unpack this BIN file (similar to a ZIP file), change the file and repack into a BIN file, so I can ultimately repack it into a CIA.

Reason why I want to do this
    I want to customise this is so that when a game is booted up, a little reminder can be shown for my children to see.
    I think for people who likes to edit ROM, they can have a little personal touch to show too when their game is booted up. I know they can edit various texutures and files in the main ROMFS to show these things in-game, but the ealier reminder wouldn't hurt.

Thank you for reading.

TL;DR
    Please, anyone knows how to open up the Logo.bin file from NCCH and rebuild them? Thank you.

2. Rangnarok
    OP

Rangnarok Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2004
    Just a little bump among all these Ban hype