Help launching Hourglass9 after losing sysNAND A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by HunterCop224, Nov 23, 2016.

1. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    Hello! Iv'e only been doing this for 2 weeks now but I love how helpful his community is, and was wondering if I could get a bit of help myself.

So I found my old 3ds (bought in like 2014 I think) It ran 9.1 so I used "https://plailect.github.io/Guide/get-started" to install Luma onto it. I got everything installed and working to the point of having FBI and Homebrew installed and working.

The issue is now have is that I used tinyFormat to wipe the sysNAND without making a backup! I can start Luma by holding select on startup and configure its settings but it boots into STOCK 11.2 firmware. I tried to launch Hourglass9 by holding start but nothing happens! I don't even see a log file in "/files9/" after trying to start it.

Now I DO have good news. I have the following.

Backup sometime during/after install of A9LH
    Backup right after I messed up.
    A9LH still starts when holding select on boot.

I was wondering if any pros (or people smarter than me) could help out. These are the things I've tried already.

-Restore from first backup.
    -Download and install latest Hourglass9 to "/luma/payloads/" and rename "start_Hourglass9"

Now these backups are just loose files from me copying and pasting the root of the SD card to my computer. I can zip them and upload them if needed. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Just run the hourglass/decrypt 9 a9lh payload without going through luma

3. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    I'm sorry for being so new to this, but how exactly do I go about having A9LH deliver a payload? I learned a small bit of stuff from the guide bot not enough to do things without some hand holding.

4. Arkansaw

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    It would be the arm9something.bin on the root of your card. Right now you are using luma's version to chainload the others, so to make sure luma is not interfering, just use hourglass.bin as the arm9loaderhax.bin

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can also try older version of luma like 6.3.1 which is more stable

5. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    Ok, I found that file "arm9loaderhax.bin" and tried replacing it with "Hourglass9.bin" and "Decrypt9WIP.bin", Everytime I started it I got black screens with not even a black light, I tried combinations of booting without holding buttons and holding select but I always got black screens, After replacing the original "arm9loaderhax.bin" it started working like it should work (boot into Luma3ds)

EDIT:
    Honestly anything will do, anything that can load FBI or a cia installer would be fine, unfortunately the 3ds is now rinning 11.2 :(

Last edited by HunterCop224, Nov 23, 2016
  6. Arkansaw

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    So right now you have some version of luma working, with a9lh that is maybe not fully working. See if you can start the last a9lh installer (2.0.3 for o3ds) you used at least, and update/reinstall a9lh.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, according to https://gbatemp.net/threads/safea9lhinstaller.419577/page-40 you should be using data-input-v3 payload

Problems like this is why I don't recommend a9lh for o3ds systems

Last edited by Arkansaw, Nov 23, 2016
  7. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    You have the non-secreeninit version of A9LH. Just put the payload you want to load in /luma/payloads as start_something.bin, then hold start when booting. Please do not reinstall A9LH!

8. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    Sorry! It was the first guide that I found which seemed to be pretty popular and complete. And that "data-input-V3" is a VERY helpful bit of information.

I didn't even try to reinstall because I'm running a version that doesn't support installing A9LH without a hardmod (version 11.2), let me look for what Arkansaw said "data-input-V3" and ill come back with results.

Also that method with Luma3ds's chain-loader isn't working for me, I already tried "Download and install latest Hourglass9 to "/luma/payloads/" and rename "start_Hourglass9""

9. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    You have to rename it start_Hourglass9.bin

10. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    Hmmm, I may have missed that in stress let me try that again. And i cant seem to find anything that specifically states that its "data-input-V3".

EDIT
    I did name them with ".bin" at the end, And I tried using other buttons as well such as A B or the D-Pad "start_h9.bin" "a_d9.bin". These are the same files I tried to rename as "arm9loaderhax.bin" and I also tried new upto date files from github. Still no sucess.

11. HunterCop224
    OP

HunterCop224 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2016
    United States
    FIXED! I was using a tablet (ASUS MemoPad 7) as an sd card reader because my existing one in my desktop will not work with microSD card adapters (I wanted a micro instead of a full SD card so I can add/remove CIAs with my phone). I got my laptop charged and used the SD card reader on that to do a format with "http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm" on 32k setting. Then I restored the backup I had from when I first got the 3ds CFW installed, and Hourglass came up just fine.

Tl;dr
    1) DO NOT USE TABLETS AS SD CARD READERS
    2) Format SD card with "http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm" on 32 k allocation size setting.
    3) Start at Part 5 of this guide "https://plailect.github.io/Guide/installing-arm9loaderhax" (Downloads are at top of page)
    4) Done, FBI is now on sysNAND

I'm not sure if the solution was formatting or not using a tablet, pretty sure the tablet was messing with it. Ill buy a REAL sd card reader when I get the chance, Thank you both for all the help I've learned so much about this stuff.

EDIT
    Also, something to mention for future reference, I didn't think about backing up because I was not running an emuNAND, and I did not think there was software for backing up sysNAND, however that can be done in Hourglass9. Before and after, just don't use a tablet for transferring files.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sounds like you just had some corruption on the SD card and formatting got rid of it.