Homebrew [help] Latest version of cQuake (SP) for DSi

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone.:)

Could someone give me the link for the latest version of cQuake, the one for single player only and optimized for DSi? Keep in mind that, for some absurd reason, gamebrew(dot)org is not accessible from my country.:huh:

Also, has anyone used the official expansion packs yet? To use these, and other custom addons, is it necessary to use an argv. file launched via HBMenu, or in what other way?

Thanks and Happy New Year! :wink:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
here you go
Do you want to make up for the spite you gave me a few days ago? :glare: Do you want me to forgive you? .....I still have to think about it (I'm still angry) :angry:.....

Just kidding :).....Thank you very much
;)
Of these files, which would be the one optimized for DSi?

And what is cnquake.nds? Never seen it before....

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you want to make up for the spite you gave me a few days ago? :glare: Do you want me to forgive you? .....I still have to think about it (I'm still angry) :angry:.....

Just kidding :).....Thank you very much
;)
Of these files, which would be the one optimized for DSi?

And what is cnquake.nds? Never seen it before....
cnquake is a test version of a multiplayer version for direct ds to ds connections without an access point. There was little to no interest in it when I created it so I did not continue development. I suspect that version only works in ds mode but I do have a version that works in dsi mode. It still uses the ds wireless - not really an issue though as the ds to ds communication is not using encryption.

Here is a link to the dsi version:
https://github.com/elhobbs/cnquake
The cquake.nds file in the repository is actually cnquake.nds
Since memory is so limited each version is. built with different features enabled/disabled

Single player has mp3 music and no multiplayer
Mp uses dswifi and requires an accesspoint but does not have mp3 music
Cnquake uses a fnet for the protocol stack and bits of dswifi for hardware initialization plus some additional stuff for ds to ds communication. Basically one ds acts as an access point and the other ds connect to it. This ds will be presented with a list of all access points that were discovered. The first ds will show as the username from that system.

Last edited by elhobbs,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been able to start some quake mods/addon episodes but unfortunately two of the most interesting ones don't work and freeze: Malice and especially Transfusion (a Total Conversion of Monolith's Blood).....Too bad!!!
Well, you can not have everything in life ....:rofl2:

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to start some quake mods/addon episodes but unfortunately two of the most interesting ones don't work and freeze: Malice and especially Transfusion (a Total Conversion of Monolith's Blood).....Too bad!!!
Well, you can not have everything in life ....:rofl2:
are you using quakeds with a slot2 ram expander? I want to say that is required for malice. not sure about the other one.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scrambled this together ~3 years ago again today with the latest version of the DSi-enhanced CQuake and CQuake multiplayer from Elhobbs. These have my custom headers since the original ones had a messed up palette. Contains a few READMEs for everything that you'd ever want to configure or be lost trying to figure out. The id1 folder directory is already set up, and shareware Quake is included. Credit goes to @elhobbs for the port, the creators of the CQuake, and ID Software.

EDIT: changed .zip to keep the licensing txt and organize everything for future ppl who might get confused, cquake_mp.ini was removed as cquake_mp uses the regular cquake config

EDIT 2: CQuake has crashing issues on TWiLightMenu v24.9.1 and later, the shift from using HiyaCFW to launch homebrew to Unlaunch and nds-bootstrap seems to break something along the way

Attachments

• CQuake Full (Shareware) 2022.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 52
Last edited by orangy57,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded it some time ago from archive(dot)org (for me, a real gold mine...🤣) and I'm pretty sure it's the older, original version.
The main issue appears to be a memory alignment issue caused by odd sprite sizes in malice. the arm processor does not like reading unaligned integer values. I was able to fix this and get the start level to load by adding "+map start" to the cquake.ini file. There seems to be another issue though as starting a new game from the menu causes an error.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was able to fix this and get the start level to load by adding "+map start" to the cquake.ini file.
I'm going to try this as well. Maybe, in the same way, I'll be able to start even the most sophisticated and original addon-episodes (e.g. Arcane Dimensions), which are found in abundance in the awesome Quaddicted(dot)com.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try this as well. Maybe, in the same way, I'll be able to start even the most sophisticated and original addon-episodes (e.g. Arcane Dimensions), which are found in abundance in the awesome Quaddicted(dot)com.
I had to make code changes to fix the alignment errors. adding "+map start" allowed me to skip the menu and bypass the secondary issue - but without the code changes malice will not load.
arcane dimension requires an enhanced engine and will not work.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@elhobbs First of all, I wish you a happy new year, and thank you for all the fps ports you've created for DS/DSi, or collaborated on over the years; they are a continual source of wonder and fun.:)

arcane dimension requires an enhanced engine and will not work.
Obviously I was joking here, I am well aware that it requires Darkplaces engine to run, as do other newer Quake mods.:wink:

Ladies and gentlemen, for the joy of all, I have taken on the burden of testing various addons, sacrificing precious time to devote to my son: all this out of love and gratitude towards this community: take this into account ...:rofl2:

I have used only entire episodes, and not SP maps (whose number is endless) taken over the years from Moddb(dot)com, Archive(dot)org and Quaddicted(dot)com.
Generally speaking the expansion packs dating back to the 90's work almost all (except Malice) while the more recent ones, as expected, do not all work.
For some games I have not put the official name, because I do not remember it, but the name of the folder that contains it.
Since this is just a quick test, a general look, I played only the starting map and the first level; I leave to others a more in-depth examination. I used TwilightMenu++ in the SD(camera)slot of a DSi XL.

These work flawlessly:
Soul of Evil
Shrak
Terra
Rogue (Dissolution of Eternity)
QZone
Q2
Abyss of Pandemonium
Insomnia
Eternal Darkness
Dimension of Past
Scourge of Armagon
Coagula 2 (contest)
100brush 1/2 (contest)
Omen

These don't work and crash:
Rubicon2
Malice
Arcane Dimensions
Transfusion (BloodTC)
Hipnotic
Haunting
Dominion

Maybe these work (need to be re-examined):
Beyond Belief
Coagula 1
Maelstrom
Bario
Coe
These should work since the data are loaded at the beginning without problems, but to play it you should type the name of the starting map in the console (which I don't know and should be searched in the map folder).
Strangely enough the starting map of Coagula 1 is called "start" but it is not launched automatically at the beginning, and even typing "map start" in the console it always returns to the Quake default starting map. Who knows why...

Note: Strangely, in this port if you increase the brightness in the options, the textures lighten and become too white. If you leave the textures in the right color, the screen is much too dark. How come? Is it a matter of contrast? How can I get around this problem?:unsure:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: Strangely, in this port if you increase the brightness in the options, the textures lighten and become too white. If you leave the textures in the right color, the screen is much too dark. How come? Is it a matter of contrast? How can I get around this problem?:unsure:
as you surmised, it is actually adjusting the contrast and not the screen brightness. you have to adjust the screen brightness using the ds menu prior to starting cquake.
the palette for quake is quite dark and the 5bit colors and display on the ds seems to amplify this issue.
In addition to adjusting the gamma using the brightness you can also adjust "r_ambient" from the console. this can be set in the range 0 to 255 - with 0 being the default. I usually set r_ambient somewhere in the 50 to 80 range depending on the level and gamma in the 0.7 to 0.95 range. this varies a bit for ds/dsi/2ds/3ds screens.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone is interested in testing ...
here is a new single player build of cquake that seems to fix the sprite loading issue in malice. I have have not done a lot of testing but the start level loads. I can say that the maps are quite large and there are quite a few places where the 2k triangle limit is hit with the ds 3d hardware.

Attachments

• cquake.zip
    289.8 KB · Views: 125

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...you can also adjust "r_ambient" from the console...
Thank you. Typing this parameter into the console and setting the value to 50 improved the graphics considerably.

if anyone is interested in testing ...
But of course I'm interested in testing it, and that's what I'll do.......naturally after dinner. :)

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
At first glance, with this new build Malice is loaded and the demo starts, but if you wait too long to start a new game, it crashes with "guru meditation error" at some point in the demo.
Quickly starting a new game, you begin with the initial map, which is really giant, confusing and (it seems) without any indication where to go: of course there are no enemies here.
Clearly I'll have to study it better....

P.S. Now this build loads also the initial map of Transfusion ( https://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Transfusion ) ( https://www.transfusion-game.com/files.php )
, after more than a minute, and both the graphics and the (new) weapons (taken from Blood) are okay, but also here I can't understand how to proceed to the first level...:unsure:

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Tarmfot

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first glance, with this new build Malice is loaded and the demo starts, but if you wait too long to start a new game, it crashes with "guru meditation error" at some point in the demo.
the demos have been running for a few minutes for me without any errors. how long is "too long"?

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the demos have been running for a few minutes for me without any errors. how long is "too long"?
After 5 seconds or less, and the demo is the usual, default one. I repeat that I'm using a DSi XL.

Anyway, I managed to find the exit of the initial map, after which starts a long movie in 3 sequences with dialogues in english and music, which uses from 30 FPS until it drops to 5 FPS slowing down a lot, but then continues: and I came up to the first level, and everything seems okay, graphics and sound effects.
And then I was able to save without the game crashing. :wink:

Note: After several attempts, I noticed that the best value of "r_ambient' is 80, with brightness at about 2/3 of the slider (at least on DSi XL).

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Tarmfot and elhobbs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off