[Help] [LÖVEPotion] How do I make it so that my character won't move past the screen?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DutchyDutch, Aug 15, 2016.

1. DutchyDutch
    OP

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    Hi, yesterday I started developing in LovePotion for the 3DS. In about 20 hours I've already got the basics down... except for a few things. This glitch is one of them.

The problem is this:
    I managed to make a top down game with a moving character and a scrolling background. When the dpad is pressed, the character moves up, and the BG moves down. This gives a scrolling BG effect. However, sometimes, my character moves past the screen, so you can't see him anymore. How do I fix this?

Source code:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

If it's really necessary I could provide a short video of it pretty soon, just tell me.
    Thanks for reading this!

2. c4388354

c4388354 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    United States
    before adding the 1.1, do a check to see if the current x or y position is lower then a certain value (like 240) if it is then add the 1.1, if not then don't do anything.

same when subtracting, make sure that the value is higher then a certain value (like 2), if it is then subtract the 1.1, if not then don't do anything.

maybe try something like:
    Code:
    if love.keyboard.isDown("right") then
        if youngboyx < 240: youngboyx = youngboyx + 1.1
    end
    also, you can combine the "youngboyy = youngboyy + 1.1" and "backgroundy = backgroundy - 3.1" part into one if statement.

example:
    before:
    Code:
    if love.keyboard.isDown("down") then
    youngboyy = youngboyy + 1.1
    end

backgroundy = backgroundy - 3.1
    end

after:
    Code: