Hacking HELP! Killed my EZ Flash IV cart - del or cor the BIOS

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently if you have the NDS Cyclo Evo cart in Slot 1 w/ a GBA ROM on it and the EZ Flash IV in slot 2 and you load the GBA ROM from Cyclo it kills the EZ Flash IV cart
frown.gif

I guess the BIOS was deleted or corrupted as the cart is no longer reconized as a GBA cart. How can I flash the BIOS? I have a very old flash linker (not even USB) would that work?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can reload the ezfla_up.bin from the EZ-Flash IV client pack, your just in loaderless mode. You should do this with a GBA or a DS without a slot1 flashcart to reload the bin file.

Put the ezfla_up.bin in the root of the miniSD. Boot the GBA or the DS on, HOLD DOWN THE R button. This will activate the update process.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!

I put the file on the root dir of the card, held down "R" button on my DS Lite and I get a screen saying no DS Card or GBA Game packs inserted.

Any idea? thanks.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I am using a micro SD card w/ a mini adapter not no name though it's ScanDisk. Would a reg mini sd card make a diff?

I don't have a GBA but do have the GBA Player w/ GC I tried that it didn't work (just hangs on the GBA screen).

I can try the auto boot option on DS, not sure where that is but I'll poke around and find it.

Am I using the right and latest BIOS? I downloaded the pack from: http://www.ezflash.cn/wp/downloads/

Thanks again for your help.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
tubebar said:
Yeah I am using a micro SD card w/ a mini adapter not no name though it's ScanDisk. Would a reg mini sd card make a diff? Not really

I don't have a GBA but do have the GBA Player w/ GC I tried that it didn't work (just hangs on the GBA screen). It requires a GBA/SP/micro or a DS in autoboot mode with no slot1 in there.

I can try the auto boot option on DS, not sure where that is but I'll poke around and find it. See pic below

Am I using the right and latest BIOS? I downloaded the pack from: http://www.ezflash.cn/wp/downloads/

Thanks again for your help.

IMG_120004b.jpg

you can also pick it up from filetrip: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=4753

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all your help
smile.gif

My DS was on Auto Boot when I checked the settings. I don't know if it being a DS Lite model matters? Sounds like the Cyclo killed the EZ Flash card
frown.gif
I guess I have to order a new one at this point unless you have any other ideas?

Thanks again.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It wouldn't matter if it is a DS lite, Your looking at a DS lite in the pic from the previous post.

Though loading a gba game from the cyclo with a EZ4 makes it look and act like a 3in1 in gba mode to the cycloDS.

You will probably need to do it from a GBA/SP/micro to fix the EZ4 properly. You should get a 3in1 for normal use with your cycloDS to avoid the same mistake.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever seen this before? If so was it fixed using a GBA/SP/Micro? I would think the GBA Player w/ GC would be the same?

Where's the best place to buy a 3in1?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No perhaps it´s not dead at all. That symptom is because flash memory´s corrupted. But not dead. EZIV has a recovery rom boot (hardware, yes).

So all you need to get back to life your precious EZIV , is to boot into NDS mode from another flashcard.

So you´ll do this:

1. Without anything inside slot2, but a slot 1 flashcard NDS MODE able, boot into slot1´s flashcard menu.

2. Without turning off DS console, connect your EZIV flashcard into DS slot2.

3. And install one of these firmwares (they´re quite rare now!)

http://www.mediafire.com/?r2v1wbn0c9xaj

I´d recommend latest.rar as it has a custom skin, FW 1.71.

(You must extract fla_up.bin from the rar, then move it to your micro/mini sd root directory)

4. You´ll load NDS MODE from slot1´s flashcard. A whitescreen will appear, before you enable it, keep R pressed down (the recovery process how_do_i_do_that described before).

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Coto, thanks for the advice.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The only NDS card I have is the Cyclo Evo. I started up in NDS mode and got the menu, then I inserted the EZF4 and held down "R" but nothing. If I enable GBA mode it won't let me install a .bin file (only GBA file) and can't do a slot 2 boot as it doesn't see the card at all.

Is that what you meant to try?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No. You have to start directly from the DS menu into GBA mode.

GBA carts (both retail and flashcarts have to be plugged in BEFORE you turn on the DS) has to alreayd be in there, they are NOT hotswapable.

TAKE OUT THE SLOT1 FLASHCART. YOU DON'T USE IT FOR THIS FIX. DO NOT HAVE IT IN WHEN TURNING IT ON.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't do that as DS says there is no GBA cart plugged in, as I said it's dead
frown.gif
I have to buy a new one.

I never thought you could kill it like that (stupid design by Clyco & EZ Flash) but then again not like these are legal retail
frown.gif
Thanks for your help.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend sent me a GBA SP - start up, hold "R" and stays on GBA screen (same as GBA Player for GC).

The cart is obviously dead, *very* stupid* design that the cyclo would kill it. Technically, it can be reflashed but not by what us consumers have. So be warned.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
how_do_i_do_that said:
No. You have to start directly from the DS menu into GBA mode.

GBA carts (both retail and flashcarts have to be plugged in BEFORE you turn on the DS) has to alreayd be in there, they are NOT hotswapable.

TAKE OUT THE SLOT1 FLASHCART. YOU DON'T USE IT FOR THIS FIX. DO NOT HAVE IT IN WHEN TURNING IT ON.

Well, turns out, My little brother somehow managed to install moonshell onto the NOR´s EZIV (this lead me to find that also EZ 3 IN 1 can be re-flashed!). Tell me how? I don´t have a fucking clue. The thing is, it wouldn´t boot from DS. No matter what I did.

But? Yes, while "all cards should be detected properly in order to function", I could re-write the current corrupted firmware by hot-swapping.

This is what I did (and what I´ve done these years to repair it):

1. Access to any SLOT1´s kernel card you have.

2. Now plug any SLOT2 card you may have at SLOT 2 port.

3. Use any NDS mode enabler given by newer SLOT 1 cards. This will force to start NDS mode of any slot 2! Yes ANY. You know why? Because you can also re-flash ez 3 in 1´s NOR with NDS executables. Obviously it won´t even try to boot from a DS (GBA Mode) neither GBA hardware. I´ve done this by myself.

4. Upon forced NDS bootup, keep R button pressed and will trigger ROM re-flashing utility shipped in EZIV, ROM = not being touched =).

edit: by the way, everytime i´m having this problem, I just reflash. Heck, my brother´s EZIV is now 4 year old and he usually brick it in a special way, you may even laugh at how many times this card have been dead. (White screen, no bootup, not detected at DS menu, frozen DS at startup, etc)

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Coto,

I am a n00b w/ NDS and EZflash4 cards so not sure what you mean by "NDS Mode Enabler"?

Sure maybe a hack but I'll try anything at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: