Help - Keep SXOS Sysnand (10.2.0) and have Atmosphere on Emunand (13.0.0)

animex2k9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi beautiful girls and boys!

I was wondering if it is possible to create an EMUNAND (SXOS Emunand) and have an Atmosphere 13.0.0 firmware on it?

What I wanted to do was have 2 microSD cards with SXOS Emunand 11.0.0 firmware and another card with the Atmosphere 13.0.0 firmware, so I can switch whenever I feel like using the other one.

Can I do that?

Thank you!

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do that, or you can also have both SXOS and Atmosphere emuNands on the same SD card. It's just a matter of how you boot up. Before I got rid of SXOS altogether due to lack of space, I had both on my SD card for my Switch.

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can do that, or you can also have both SXOS and Atmosphere emuNands on the same SD card. It's just a matter of how you boot up. Before I got rid of SXOS altogether due to lack of space, I had both on my SD card for my Switch.
Used SXOS since launch and haven't needed to update my Switch in over a year so am just reading up on the fallout of SXOS being abandoned and the recommendation to move over to Atmosphere.

Could you give any links or further info on how to do what you explained with using both?
I've seen a few guides on migrating on here but a few are out of date and I don't really want to risk bricking/messing things up before I understand things a bit better.

I currently have SXOS on 10.2 emuNand and a lower "real" firmware and I use RCM via my PC to boot back up if the Switch ever loses power.

From what I've read I should update to SXOS 3.1 and the emuNAND to 11.0.0 before I look at anything to do with migrating, so that will be the first thing I'll do.

I did make a NAND backup when I first installed SXOS and have a clean 6.0.1 backup consisting of Full NAND, Boot0/1, eMMC Sys and eMMC User if that matters or helps.

I've never used the Switch online and never intend to so I'm not sure if I even need both of them or even need to use an emuNand? I wasn't sure when I first did it so went with the emuNand to be safe but I've never had any urge to play online with it.

I basically just want to be able to play games offline so would like to easily update the firmware as needed and be able to install games from USB drive - but doing it over the network / using a PC wouldn't be the end of the world.

I also read something about sigpatches which need to be done manually with Atmosphere but I need to do more reading on that as I'm not sure what it does or entails just yet.

Bit out of the loop - any advice appreciated.

Last edited by DoobyDude,

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used SXOS since launch and haven't needed to update my Switch in over a year so am just reading up on the fallout of SXOS being abandoned and the recommendation to move over to Atmosphere.

Could you give any links or further info on how to do what you explained with using both?
I've seen a few guides on migrating on here but a few are out of date and I don't really want to risk bricking/messing things up before I understand things a bit better.

I currently have SXOS on 10.2 emuNand and a lower "real" firmware and I use RCM via my PC to boot back up if the Switch ever loses power.

From what I've read I should update to SXOS 3.1 and the emuNAND to 11.0.0 before I look at anything to do with migrating, so that will be the first thing I'll do.

I did make a NAND backup when I first installed SXOS and have a clean 6.0.1 backup consisting of Full NAND, Boot0/1, eMMC Sys and eMMC User if that matters or helps.

I've never used the Switch online and never intend to so I'm not sure if I even need both of them or even need to use an emuNand? I wasn't sure when I first did it so went with the emuNand to be safe but I've never had any urge to play online with it.

I basically just want to be able to play games offline so would like to easily update the firmware as needed and be able to install games from USB drive - but doing it over the network / using a PC wouldn't be the end of the world.

I also read something about sigpatches which need to be done manually with Atmosphere but I need to do more reading on that as I'm not sure what it does or entails just yet.

Bit out of the loop - any advice appreciated.
If you've been out of the loop, or if you're not sure about some fundamentals, I suggest reading up on some information that is already available, and would be redundant to mention. Here are some guides that explain things quite well:
https://switch.homebrew.guide/
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
Once you have the terminology and basic stuff down, it's easier to ask questions, and easier for people to answer your questions. There are somethings that may not be obvious regarding Atmosphere/SXOS:
* Installing Hekate and Atmosphere on a SD card that already contained SXOS does NOT wipe out SXOS. Each uses different files/folders and are independent from each other - So by installing Hekate/Atmosphere on your existing SXOS SD card, you have both, and the way you run one or the other is via choosing the right RCM payload to send from your PC. If you have a SXOS dongle, you can even use that to boot either SXOS or Hekate then to Atmosphere; but it sounds like you're using a PC to inject payload, so you're good to go there.
* If I remember correctly, one of those guides explains what sigpatches are for, but basically by applying sigpatches to your cfw, you're allowing the cfw to run apps and games without checking signature (security measures). Applying patches just means you unzip one or two files to your SD card; it's that simple.

If I were you, I would attempt the following (This is what I did when I transitioned from SXOS to Atmosphere):
* Backup SD card before you start, then you're free to experiment without the fear of screwing up
* Install Hekate, Atmosphere, apply Sigpatches - Make sure you can still boot into SXOS afterward
* Use your PC (or dongle) to boot into Hekate.
* In Hekate, create an emuNand to be used by Atmosphere - Check that you can boot into Atmosphere, either directly or via Hekate (chain loading).
* Boot into emuNand using Atmosphere, then use Daybreak to update your emuNand to the latest.
* In your emuNand, you can use an installer to install your games (Tinfoil, Awoo, Tinwoo, ...). I personally use Awoo, but I know Tinwoo essentially does the same thing; both allow installing games over multiple media: SD, network, ... so you won't even have to remove the SD card from the slot.

That's the basic roadmap, the details you'll most likely find via one of multiple sources: guides, googling, asking questions here. With those steps, I was able to boot either into SXOS or Atmosphere. I have since gotten rid of SXOS altogether because I have no needs for it.

Reactions: DoobyDude

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have since gotten rid of SXOS altogether because I have no needs for it.

Hey man, thanks fore that amazing reply - really appreciated!

I did some further reading after replying to you and it seems it's only worth keeping SXOS now due to the ability to mount/run XCI files without installing - which I never used anyway so I'm now thinking I also would have no need for it.

I won't go into the details as I made a post in the noob thread with my details and asking for advice if you'd like to see them - I probably should have done that before replying to you directly ion this thread, so sorry about that!

When you got rid of SXOS did you go back to stock and then through the process of installing/using Atmosphere or did you follow the SXOS > Atmosphere migration guide?

I'm not sure what / if anything still applies from that guide if it's advised to go back to stock first and no migration is needed or whether that's the recommended way to do it and then remove SXOS after Atmosphere is setup and working on a dual boot basis?

As I mention in the linked thread I don't need anything special, just to be able to install games via USB and update the FW as and when needed. Sigpatches are indeed much simpler than it sounds, I'd just never heard of them before today so wasn't sure what it entailed.

Thanks again for the reply, great info! :)

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have to do anything to SXOS; I just installed Hekate, Atmosphere, SigPatches in the SD card that already had SXOS. Like I said, SXOS & Atmosphere use different files/folders so they don't really interfere with each other.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am writing a tutorial to have 2 hidden partition EmuNAND on the same SD. File based EmuNANDs tend to corrupt. Since SXOS has never been fully trusted and I assume you don't want to bounce back and forth more than necessary my guide has you making a reduced EmuNAND with the intention of using SXOS for ONLY XCI files. I suggest you make SuperXCI (with updates and DLC included. and a small HIDDEN PARTITION EmuNAND for SXOS. This way the impact on your SD is Minimal (8GB on Mine) and you stay stable.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have to do anything to SXOS; I just installed Hekate, Atmosphere, SigPatches in the SD card that already had SXOS. Like I said, SXOS & Atmosphere use different files/folders so they don't really interfere with each other.
This works if 1 is hidden EmuNAND and 1 is File based but file based EmuNANDS tend to corrupt, then yo lose your save files.

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh okay, did you just remove the SXOS folder when you went Atmosphere only?
Do you miss anything from SXOS?
Is it easy to see whether you're using emu/sys NAND when updating Atmosphere like in SXOS?

I guess I thought there was more to it and was worried SXOS did something to the sysNAND which I'd need to reverse to go back to "stock" first and/or prevent issues, but it seems not?

Thanks again for the help.

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suggest you make SuperXCI
Thanks for the info Mike, but I've never used XCI mounting/loading so I think getting rid of SXOS is probably the best move given it's now dead and that it seems to be the only feature it has over Atmosphere to make it worth using.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and Atmosphere can't install XCI either, but from what I've read that's not the case.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Mike, but I've never used XCI mounting/loading so I think getting rid of SXOS is probably the best move given it's now dead and that it seems to be the only feature it has over Atmosphere to make it worth using.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and Atmosphere can't install XCI either, but from what I've read that's not the case.
It can install xci like a nsp, you just cant mount them like you could with the sxos or play games from an external HDD. So it might be best to get a 1tb SD

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's your machine. Just FYI, SXOS is still compatible with most games. Even Metroid. putting a SMALL emuNAND for it is, IMHO, well worth the HDD feature. It's hot swappable and compatible with all manner of USB storage. SSD,Flash drives, SD card readers HDDs and such. I recently used a WIFI compatible SD to load games directly from my PC.

And yes you can install XCI files to use in Atmosphere but they don't work off of USB drives. a 1TB SD costs an arm and a leg. I have a 5TB HDD that was $60. so yeah.. I like my HDDs.

To each their own. I do not make decisions for you. Just the facts.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can install xci like a nsp, you just cant mount them like you could with the sxos or play games from an external HDD. So it might be best to get a 1tb SD
$130 for 1TB.. Yikes. I got a 1TB SSD I am using in an enclosure for $60...

My method costs 8GB of space on your SD and you can switch back and forth using a menu at anytime..

OP if I were you , Just in case, I would backup all my SXOS stuff, especially the EmuNAND. It's easier to restore a backup if you change your mind then making/downgrading a new EmuNAND.

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 512GB SD which is fine for me as multiplatform games I prefer to play on Series X or PC and it's mainly the exclusives and some multiplatform ones I enjoy having access to on the go which isn't a massive amount tbh.

My method costs 8GB of space on your SD and you can switch back and forth using a menu at anytime..

OP if I were you , Just in case, I would backup all my SXOS stuff, especially the EmuNAND. It's easier to restore a backup if you change your mind then making/downgrading a new EmuNAND.
I'm not actually going to do anything right now other than upgrade SXOS to firmware 11.0.0 the same way I have updated it previously. Do I need a tool for a full backup or is just copying the entire SD to an image/folder enough?

I've not had to update it in over a year so I'm still catching up, gathering as much information as I can and trying to weigh up the pros/cons of whether XCI loading will be useful - even if not now then maybe I could actually see in the future where all the < 11.0.0 games can be stored on a hard drive and played via SXOS to leave more space for newer / bigger games on the SD.

Is the tutorial you mentioned above posted already or is it one you're currently working on?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by DoobyDude,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 512GB SD which is fine for me as a multiu-platform games I prefer to play on Series X or PC and it's mainly the exclusives and some multiplatform ones I enjoy having access to on the go which isn't a massive amount tbh.

I'm not actually going to do anything right now other than upgrade SXOS to firmware 11.0.0 the same way I have updated it previously. Do I need a tool for a full backup or is just copying the entire SD to an image/folder enough?

I've not had to update it in over a year so I'm still catching up, gathering as much information as I can and trying to weigh up the pros/cons of whether XCI loading will be useful - even if not now then maybe I could actually see in the future where all the < 11.0.0 games can be stored on a hard drive and played via SXOS to leave more space for newer / bigger games on the SD.

Is the tutorial you mentioned above posted already or is it one you're currently working on?

Thanks for the help.
I would use NxNANDManager to backup your EmuNAND and then copy the rest over as usual. You could image the whole thing but you'll need to make sure is gets the partitions right.

https://github.com/eliboa/NxNandManager

This has tools for a full dump. As far as the Tutorial I am working on it. I am testing it step by step as written to see if noobs will be okay with it as I write this.. I also want to reach out to everyone who made the software I am using and make a easy pack. I f you want to see what I have so far I could show you I guess. I will need beta tester or two.. In my guide you basicly end up with 2 hidden partitions and 1 FAT32 partition. You will have the option to resize the SXOS partition. It is intended to make a small 8gb partition for SXOS, just enough for saves. If you wanted to keep SXOS the same size you can do that too.

I make SuperXCI files with DLC and UPDATES all readyin and I like to convert NSP to XCI(most work) I am running everyting in SXOS off the HDD except the save files. that way it only eats 8 gb to have usb loading

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was wondering if it is possible to create an EMUNAND (SXOS Emunand) and have an Atmosphere 13.0.0 firmware on it?

What I wanted to do was have 2 microSD cards with SXOS Emunand 11.0.0 firmware and another card with the Atmosphere 13.0.0 firmware, so I can switch whenever I feel like using the other one.

Can I do that?

Thank you!
Why not put them on just 1 SD card together?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can I do that?

Thank you!
You can!

You actually have a few options.. you could
  • Have 2 SD cards each with a emunand. 1 on 11.0 for sxos and the other on current FW for Atmosphere. (This requires sd swaps putting wear and tear on the fragile sd slot. They do break)
  • Have 1 sd with a hidden partition emunand and a file based Emunand (easy to set up. However, file based emunands tend to corrupt. If it does you'll lose you saves.)
  • You could have 2 hidden partition emunands on the same card.(this seems sane. I know a few who have this for a while with no issues. I wrote a tutorial to do this. It's s here on the temp.
  • You could keep one cfw on emunand and one on sysnand.(this also can be problematic. (SXOS has some... iffy code. It leaves traces and does god knows what. I wouldn't trust it with your sysnand.)
  • Technically you can put an EmuNAND on your SysNAND. BAD BAD idea. But in the interest of complete information i am mentioning it since it does exist. Dont do it.
EmuNand is great. While you're in EmuNAND your SysNAND is not.touched. If tragedy happens and you brick, you SysNAND is fine. EmuNANDS even functions it you remove your SysNAND. When you change EmuNANDS you essentially have a whole new system.

IMHO your only good choices are 2 hidden EmuNAND on 1 card or separate SD with 1 emunand each. Though, as stated, swapping cards puts wear and tear on the FRAGILE sd slot.

I have 2 hidden partition emunand on the same sd

Hope that helps. Let me know what you want. I can help

Last edited by mikefor20,

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can!

You actually have a few options.. you could
  • Have 2 SD cards each with a emunand. 1 on 11.0 for sxos and the other on current FW for Atmosphere. (This requires sd swaps putting wear and tear on the fragile sd slot. They do break)
  • Have 1 sd with a hidden partition emunand and a file based Emunand (easy to set up. However, file based emunands tend to corrupt. If it does you'll lose you saves.)
  • You could have 2 hidden partition emunands on the same card.(this seems sane. I know a few who have this for a while with no issues. I wrote a tutorial to do this. It's s here on the temp.
  • You could keep one cfw on emunand and one on sysnand.(this also can be problematic. (SXOS has some... iffy code. It leaves traces and does god knows what. I wouldn't trust it with your sysnand.)
  • Technically you can put an EmuNAND on your SysNAND. BAD BAD idea. But in the interest of complete information i am mentioning it since it does exist. Dont do it.
EmuNand is great. While you're in EmuNAND your SysNAND is not.touched. If tragedy happens and you brick, you SysNAND is fine. EmuNANDS even functions it you remove your SysNAND. When you change EmuNANDS you essentially have a whole new system.

IMHO your only good choices are 2 hidden EmuNAND on 1 card or separate SD with 1 emunand each. Though, as stated, swapping cards puts wear and tear on the FRAGILE sd slot.

I have 2 hidden partition emunand on the same sd

Hope that helps. Let me know what you want. I can help
I have the same problem! I've been out of the Switch game for the last year or so and my memory is horrible. I am on 11.00 FW with SXOS 3.1.0, but I got no clue if I am on SysNAND or EmuNAND? I looked up how to find out, but it's not entirely clear to me. So I am just wondering if you can point me in the right direction to start, and my best option(s) going forward to migrate to Atmosphere, but also keep SXOS if I ever want to roll back to it just play XCI games or whatever. I tried looking for your posts, but your profile is on lockdown/private, so can't see anything lol.

I have multiple microSD cards, also have the SX Dongle. I think it would be best though to just stick to one SD card for now, as the likelihood of going back to SXOS right now isn't very high, I just want to always have that option to do so. So I should just need to create an EmuNAND on a SD card right, just as soon as I figure out what my SXOS is on....

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem! I've been out of the Switch game for the last year or so and my memory is horrible. I am on 11.00 FW with SXOS 3.1.0, but I got no clue if I am on SysNAND or EmuNAND? I looked up how to find out, but it's not entirely clear to me. So I am just wondering if you can point me in the right direction to start, and my best option(s) going forward to migrate to Atmosphere, but also keep SXOS if I ever want to roll back to it just play XCI games or whatever. I tried looking for your posts, but your profile is on lockdown/private, so can't see anything lol.

I have multiple microSD cards, also have the SX Dongle. I think it would be best though to just stick to one SD card for now, as the likelihood of going back to SXOS right now isn't very high, I just want to always have that option to do so. So I should just need to create an EmuNAND on a SD card right, just as soon as I figure out what my SXOS is on....
Check in the SX OS menu.

Sunnyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, YES, Yes

if any one has SXOS below 13.0.0 you can convert ALL newest games to play it on SXOS, found the lastest key and use it with SAK
now i can play all newest games that needs 13.0.0 on my 11.0.0
all GTA with the update, all BloodRayne an many, many more games
join the game and the update witch NSCB and convert them with SAK
WORKS perfect, pleased i found it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded