ROM Hack [Help] I've got a New 3DS XL that refuses to boot

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First off: I'm extremely new to this site. I just made an account here because I've been searching around forever looking for a fix and have gotten nowhere. Somebody recommended that i posted it on here so here I am.

Hello. I've got a New 3DS XL that wont boot up correctly. it was running GM9/ Luma3ds and had some games downloaded and installed with FBI. After a while I began to see weird visual glitches on my system, if I opened the lid or pressed the home button on a game the screen would show weird glitched out lines for a split second, if I was running a DS game or DSiWare and decided to press the home button the box asking me if I was sure would flicker a little bit. After a while I'd sometimes open the lid and one of the screens would be fully blue and not work until I reset my system. The final nail in the coffin was when i was playing New Super Mario bros on TWiLightMenu. I closed the lid and left the system on. When I came back to it later and turned it on, whatever was meant to be on both screens was tilted at a 15 degree angle. If I closed and reopened it it just got worse until it eventually stopped. when i pressed the home button (I think) the system just turned itself off. now when I turn it on nothing happens, I can still access the GM9 menu if i hold start and the Luma config if I hold select but nothing happens past that point. I'm just assuming that the home menu is refusing to boot up or something like that. Does anybody have any idea as to what I should do? I've tried updating the nand but that made it worse (would not even launch the GM9, luckily I backed up my SD card). but that's just about the most high tech thing I've done. other than that I've tried more basic things like turning it on, removing that battery, and removing the SD card. Any new ideas would be appreciated, I'm not giving up on my console just yet.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
First off: I'm extremely new to this site. I just made an account here because I've been searching around forever looking for a fix and have gotten nowhere. Somebody recommended that i posted it on here so here I am.

Hello. I've got a New 3DS XL that wont boot up correctly. it was running GM9/ Luma3ds and had some games downloaded and installed with FBI. After a while I began to see weird visual glitches on my system, if I opened the lid or pressed the home button on a game the screen would show weird glitched out lines for a split second, if I was running a DS game or DSiWare and decided to press the home button the box asking me if I was sure would flicker a little bit. After a while I'd sometimes open the lid and one of the screens would be fully blue and not work until I reset my system. The final nail in the coffin was when i was playing New Super Mario bros on TWiLightMenu. I closed the lid and left the system on. When I came back to it later and turned it on, whatever was meant to be on both screens was tilted at a 15 degree angle. If I closed and reopened it it just got worse until it eventually stopped. when i pressed the home button (I think) the system just turned itself off. now when I turn it on nothing happens, I can still access the GM9 menu if i hold start and the Luma config if I hold select but nothing happens past that point. I'm just assuming that the home menu is refusing to boot up or something like that. Does anybody have any idea as to what I should do? I've tried updating the nand but that made it worse (would not even launch the GM9, luckily I backed up my SD card). but that's just about the most high tech thing I've done. other than that I've tried more basic things like turning it on, removing that battery, and removing the SD card. Any new ideas would be appreciated, I'm not giving up on my console just yet.
Possibly, it could be by a faulty SD card or a screen-related damage.
  • In first case, just check your console SD card follow this guide (try to copy everything of your SD card on PC or another memory device before to start with that).
  • In second case, you must open your console and check if screens ribbons (or another related hardware component) are disconnected/damaged
However, wait for another opinion from someone else

Last edited by fmkid,
D

Deleted User

Are there any visual glitches in GodMode9 or the Luma3DS chainloader?

D

Deleted User

no it looks completely normal
OK, but just to be sure, you should just sit down and mess around with GodMode9 for a few minutes and see if any visual glitches occur. If they do, then you have some kind of hardware problem. If they don't, then you should get a CTRTransfer Image.

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, but just to be sure, you should just sit down and mess around with GodMode9 for a few minutes and see if any visual glitches occur. If they do, then you have some kind of hardware problem. If they don't, then you should get a CTRTransfer Image.
just finished looking around and it looks perfectly fine. what do you mean by a CTRTransfer?

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It would be to perform/try this:

I cant get past section 3 because it still wont boot up. any more suggestions? i've also tried restoring the NAND but thats not done anything

D

Deleted User

I cant get past section 3 because it still wont boot up. any more suggestions? i've also tried restoring the NAND but thats not done anything
Please clarify what you mean. Section 3 involves opening the Homebrew Launcher, whereas an earlier section deals with transferring and booting. If your issue was opening GodMode9 (which was one of the first steps and definitely wasn't in section 3), then you have to hold down START before booting and release it as soon as you see the Luma3DS chainloader screen. Then you have to press A to open GodMode9. If that wasn't your issue, then perhaps you downloaded the wrong CTRTransfer image?

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please clarify what you mean. Section 3 involves opening the Homebrew Launcher, whereas an earlier section deals with transferring and booting. If your issue was opening GodMode9 (which was one of the first steps and definitely wasn't in section 3), then you have to hold down START before booting and release it as soon as you see the Luma3DS chainloader screen. Then you have to press A to open GodMode9. If that wasn't your issue, then perhaps you downloaded the wrong CTRTransfer image?

I was able to access godmode 9 and download the ctr, basically everything in the first 2 sections of the guide. But section 3 involves opening the download play app, which i cant do because the system doesn't boot up the home menu so i cant access any of my apps

D

Deleted User

I was able to access godmode 9 and download the ctr, basically everything in the first 2 sections of the guide. But section 3 involves opening the download play app, which i cant do because the system doesn't boot up the home menu so i cant access any of my apps
If you downloaded the wrong CTRTransfer image, then that may have caused your boot-up issue. Please ensure that you downloaded the correct one.

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you downloaded the wrong CTRTransfer image, then that may have caused your boot-up issue. Please ensure that you downloaded the correct one.
Nope, just tried again and did almost everything on the instructions and it still wont boot. the only bit I skipped was having the latest version of fbi in my files. But is it actually 100% necessary, though?

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, just tried again and did almost everything on the instructions and it still wont boot. the only bit I skipped was having the latest version of fbi in my files. But is it actually 100% necessary, though?

Curious if the 3DS firmware was updated prior to no longer booting.

Maybe the version of Luma on the MicroSD isn't compatible? Could try placing the latest Luma boot.firm on the root.

GuglioIsStupid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This has happened to me it is an easy fix but you will need to pay (All things aren't free)
Its a problem with the screen, not the sysnand or CFW so just replace the screen or replace the device and re-mod it (If buying a new device)

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This has happened to me it is an easy fix but you will need to pay (All things aren't free)
Its a problem with the screen, not the sysnand or CFW so just replace the screen or replace the device and re-mod it (If buying a new device)
You sure? Like i said, the GM9 menu still loads and even then, if the screen was busted surely the sound on the home screen would still be audible

KingSolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Random graphical artifacts and crashes in 3DS mode (NATIVE_FIRM) means the GPU is dying.
To rule out hardware failure, try to repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and
Random graphical artifacts and crashes in 3DS mode (NATIVE_FIRM) means the GPU is dying.
To rule out hardware failure, try to repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

I looked through the instructions and noticed I need Cthulhu and Faketik, but I don’t have either. Should I still try?

also, found a picture of what my system looked like before it stopped working.
4D75478B-B6BC-4716-A75D-C163B286E63D.jpeg

Attachments

• 47A602C3-002E-4358-B657-93851C9C61BF.jpeg
    47A602C3-002E-4358-B657-93851C9C61BF.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 210

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free