Hardware Help Is my ps3 dying?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, my ps3 was made in early 2011 320gb hdd. All my games are physical.

This happens usually when I go to play uncharted 2/3 and a couple other games I noticed that the audio cuts out and in audio lag in some games and also loads and loads of loading to the point it stops like the game locked up then it's fine, even with them installed from the disc for example both heavy rain and beyond have this issue with the audio cutting out then back for a second, then I watch on youtube a walkthough and to my surprise no lag, no bad loading.

I am worried now that my console is dying due to these problems are these symptoms of a dying ps3?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any digital games at all that you can test? It sounds more like a dying disk drive to me. When you install game data to the HDD, it doesn't install everything and still has to access some parts of the game on the disk, which could cause the issues even with games that were installed to the HDD. If it doesn't happen with any digital games, then it's most likely your disk drive going bad and you'll either need to replace the laser (which is relatively simple and cheap) or the whole drive (which can be relatively expensive).

If it does happen with digital games, then it's possible there's a hardware problem somewhere.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any digital games at all that you can test? It sounds more like a dying disk drive to me. When you install game data to the HDD, it doesn't install everything and still has to access some parts of the game on the disk, which could cause the issues even with games that were installed to the HDD. If it doesn't happen with any digital games, then it's most likely your disk drive going bad and you'll either need to replace the laser (which is relatively simple and cheap) or the whole drive (which can be relatively expensive).

If it does happen with digital games, then it's possible there's a hardware problem somewhere.

I have killzone hd from the trilogy that has a studdering problem unless I pause it then its fine and playable not sure if thats what you mean by digital because I had to install that game on my hdd. Other than that I don't have any other digital games from psn on it right now. Not all the games have problems it seems just demanding ones do. Movie s on blu ray run fine.

EDIT I was playing cod waw and mgs4 last night no issues and mgs4 is installed on the hdd the acts that is. But uncharted 3 and beyond two souls are having the issues loading on uncharted 3 takes a while and audio skiping. Beyond has audio akipping and minor pause during action sequences.

Last edited by jDSX,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got an update I installed a digital game and it does the same studder as does with beyond does when the amber light is showing on the hdd when it accesses it. I am going to assume it's a fragmented or bad hdd because not all my games have this problem or audio lag during cut scenes.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The only time fragmentation will occur on a PS3's HDD is when it's completely filled, this is because of the PS3's HDD file system. It's not like a Windows/NTFS file system, it handles file fragmentation differently and keeps it under control until it's just about full. I assume you haven't completely filled the HDD, so it's not going to be a fragmentation issue.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm..

Then I have no idea. Perhaps the game disk could be defective I am going to try getting another copy and see what happens.

Before I forget none of the games are patched if that is anything to go on.

Last edited by jDSX,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd give an update to any who read this.

I haven't had any issues since I played UC3, except for a dirty disk error (in which it was) for movie playback.

Also @Tom Bombadildo how hard would it be to replace the laser on my model ps3 (2501b slim) in the future just in case and how much for the part?

D

Deleted User

Your PS3 is dead when you try to turn it on and the light flashes yellow.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Most users reporting stuttering audio, graphical glitches and lag is due to the gpu overheating and the solder beneath it is cracking and your ps3 is probably on it's way to a YLOD. I've seen it multiple times the same issue's and after a couple of months they report a YLOD. You should get it reballed if it does, it doesn't cost that much and afterwards you don't have to worry about a YLOD anymore. Anyway it seems you don't have CFW running since if you did you could turn user based fan control on wich prevents your console from reaching the temperature you want. Mine is set to 60 degrees so it doesn't turn hotter then 60 degrees, also you have to change the paste a couple of times a year if you use it a lot.

Last edited by kumikochan,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try different cabbles cause they might just be worn out. cabbles that were ever warm might cause these failures you discribe, both the graphics and the audio.
and yes your ps3 is dying although it could take years before it really turns death (likewise you are yourself).

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most users reporting stuttering audio, graphical glitches and lag is due to the gpu overheating and the solder beneath it is cracking and your ps3 is probably on it's way to a YLOD. I've seen it multiple times the same issue's and after a couple of months they report a YLOD. You should get it reballed if it does, it doesn't cost that much and afterwards you don't have to worry about a YLOD anymore. Anyway it seems you don't have CFW running since if you did you could turn user based fan control on wich prevents your console from reaching the temperature you want. Mine is set to 60 degrees so it doesn't turn hotter then 60 degrees, also you have to change the paste a couple of times a year if you use it a lot.

It's 67c on full load is that bad? Also it could be poorly coded games as like some are for the ps3. These two I am talking about do push the ps3 to it's limits graphically too.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's 67c on full load is that bad? Also it could be poorly coded games as like some are for the ps3. These two I am talking about do push the ps3 to it's limits graphically too.
Yeah pushing it also means overheating the GPU. After how many gameplay does it reach that temperature ? 67 isn't that bad but it's pushing it. Anything over 70 is bad and anything over 65 is mid dangerous. 50 - 60 is perfect.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah pushing it also means overheating the GPU. After how many gameplay does it reach that temperature ? 67 isn't that bad but it's pushing it. Anything over 70 is bad and anything over 65 is mid dangerous. 50 - 60 is perfect.

After 5 hours it has airflow right out on my desk.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After 5 hours it has airflow right out on my desk.
Well temperature isn't that bad but still think it's failing because your ps3 is on it's way to a YLOD and because of that you're experiencing those issue's. The solder cracks not due to overheating but due to heating up and cooling down. If the gap is 2 big between heating up and cooling down it starts to crack. Well i tried to explain it as good as i can in English so i hope you understand what i mean lol.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well temperature isn't that bad but still think it's failing because your ps3 is on it's way to a YLOD and because of that you're experiencing those issue's. The solder cracks not due to overheating but due to heating up and cooling down. If the gap is 2 big between heating up and cooling down it starts to crack. Well i tried to explain it as good as i can in English so i hope you understand what i mean lol.

That temp is when I play a graphically demanding game like heavy rain, beyond and star ocean 4 but never had any lock ups on other games just once on HR during the loading screen. Some games are worse than others with the resources.
btw how much would it cost for a reball/reflow?

Last edited by jDSX,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That temp is when I play a graphically demanding game like heavy rain, beyond and star ocean 4 but never had any lock ups on other games just once on HR during the loading screen. Some games are worse than others with the resources.
Well just wait and see and if you do get a YLOD after a couple of months or a year, just do a reballing of the gpu. Most ask around 70 - 100 euro but it's worth it since those balls are made up of lead wich is forbidden in toys as game consoles are seen as toys so the solder in it is lead free wich eventually do crack. Also one of the reasons old consoles still work and didn't need fans because the boards were soldered with lead and they can handle much higher temperatures.

Reactions: jDSX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...