Help I stript my Screw!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by indiraider, Mar 25, 2007.

Mar 25, 2007

Help I stript my Screw! by indiraider at 7:47 AM (1,586 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. indiraider
    OP

Newcomer indiraider Advanced Member

Ok. LOL (I'm laughing now but I am still super pissed off)
    I bought my wiikey, triwing screwdriver 2 weeks ago at Eurasia and my gdr8164b at newegg. I bought all my soldering gear 3 days ago practiced for two days straight on circuit boards. Today I finally get enough nerve to open up my wii. When I finally get to the last few screws, there are two triwing screws on deep inside the system and one in the face plate that wont come out. I already stripped them. Fuck im so pissed off! I'm going to return my system to the store tomorrow and see if I could get a replacement and try again. Any tips on unscrewing so I don't mess up again? I though I would be good if I bought a tri wing driver but I guess not. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. markusf

Newcomer markusf Member

Canada
  3. indiraider
    OP

Thanks man , I'm going to see if I can return it for a new wii first though and see what happens.

4. m|kk|

Member m|kk| GBAtemp Regular

United States
  5. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What store?
    Are Wii's pretty available these days? I haven't really checked since I got mine...

6. bttfpromo

Newcomer bttfpromo Member

United States

Even better is to drill right through. There's some plastic around them so don't worry.

7. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you drill through, how do you remove the screw?
    I'm not sure how that works..... [​IMG]

8. markusf

Newcomer markusf Member

Canada
    Yea, but you risk drilling in too far, getting metal flakes into your Wii, or damaging the case if you use a bit which is too big.

9. indiraider
    OP

Lol, I thought they were availible now but i guess i was wrong [​IMG] I still returned my wii though because I really messed up the case behind the gc black faceplate trying to get the screw out with the soldering iron. I found out the problem, its the stupid cheap quality screwdriver supplied by Eurasia. The problem with it is it's too pointy and should be flatter to fix wii screws. I found a great American hardware store that sells triwing screw drivers out of a hundred piece set for only five bucks. It seems that they are more heavy duty but I cannot vouch for them working on the wii because I haven't bought them yet. I am most concerned that they will not be thin enough to fit in the tubes for the two tri-wing screws on the wii. Here is the link
    Harbor Freight-Triwing set. Tell me what you think about this set because I plan on getting it once I get a wii, its good because I can pick it up locally (South Maryland). That leads me to actually getting a new wii:

So now I am sitting with a bunch of wii backups and opened wiikey shut in the opened static bag with no shaqfuing wii. Walmart is supposed to get a shipment tomorrow, so ill try my luck there. I guess Sony executives meant the wii when they said you can't find any per store. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. scottrleo1

Newcomer scottrleo1 Member

United States

Listen, I'm no grammar Nazi but did you really use the word "stript"??

Not everything is spelled like it sounds.

11. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Hahahaha, "grammar Nazi"... thats the first time i heard that..

Correct usage: "I think i stripped my screws"

12. directive0

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so the screwdrivers too pointy eh? Good to know. Maybe I'll take a grinding wheel to mine to size up the bit a little better. Hope I don't run into these problems.

13. indiraider
    OP

Yes the driver at Eurasia sucks, I was thinking about buying the driver from mod chip man for ten dollars but your idea seems a lot better. Could you tell me in more detail, what you're planning to do? Also heres a tip, if you feel like your screw driver is sliding past the screw when you turn it STOP. I found out the hard way, the screws cut like butter. What does anyone think of my link that I posted, do you think that the screws will work?

14. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i found one of ebay. It worked great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280089360544

15. GaryD

Newcomer GaryD Newbie

Argentina
    Yes be very careful with the triwings, they are a stupid design. You might be able to jam a small flat blade in, that is what I did. Make sure you put a lot of downwards pressure so that they do not strip. Once you get them out, throw them out.