Help, I have lost all the links in the desktop(Windows)

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but i format every 2 months for security anyway, so it wasn't not a big pain. I wouldn't recommend it, hopefully these solutions above work for you
My OS is basically formatted everyday for security and reliability, without actually formatting it. OS is run entirely off of RAM and so any reboot will cause the OS to be "lost" so to speak, reload from an image, and it's like a fresh install of the OS every time. Most software will need re-installation every time I need it. Even the software itself is installed to and launch from RAMdisk as well.
So in short, I don't think it is excessive to protect your computer, let alone your info if you have them stored on your computer.

Last edited by RandomUser,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My OS is basically formatted everyday for security and reliability, without actually formatting it. OS is run entirely off of RAM and so any reboot will cause the OS to be "lost" so to speak, reload from an image, and it's like a fresh install of the OS every time. Most software will need re-installation every time I need it. Even the software itself is installed to and launch from RAMdisk as well.
So in short, I don't think it is excessive to protect your computer, let alone your info if you have them stored on your computer.
That's pretty impractical and can be damaging. I'd recommend Deep Freeze for a setup like this.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't have much time to tell you the story, but I don't have the programs links on the desktop anymore, what's the fastest method to get them back? I don't have a backup, neither a restore point.
hey, this is not of that overlooked cases of "right click\view\show desktop items checkbox" ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's pretty impractical and can be damaging. I'd recommend Deep Freeze for a setup like this.
i had a software in the past that would make the whole system write protected, in the program website they even said i could format i wouldn't loose a thing...
i never actually tried to format, but it did the job, the machine was really write protect, i could work on it normally and not a single thing was saved...
i think i could select the HDD affected by it.. becuase i could use a thumb drive to save what i wanted to keep...
i remember using this for test all kinds of virus and didn't had a problem, i really didn't understand how it keep the stuff working as normal but if i restarted, it was like loading a game state on a emulator, it was so fun

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not know about deep freeze. My way is free and coupled with softperfect (freeware version) the benefit of having faster then most if not all SSD access time and without the finite write like SSD has.
Actually been doing this for 10+ years, and it has been pretty good, and it seems to make my HDD last much longer due to lack of constant access by the OS itself. Also keep in mind I used commercial grade hardware as opposed to consumer grade hardware, so that is probably why I have not had much problem with this setup.
So to me it isn't impractical, and the benefit is there. In fact I was able to give Windows 10 a try without the hassle of resizing or re-partitioning the drive. I didn't like the responsiveness of Windows 10, and this saved me a lot of hassle of reformatting the drive or trying to correct or restore the partitions from backup, the way I had it before Windows 10. I just simply deleted the image and bam, no more Windows 10 and no more aggravation.
You could read up on Firadisk if you are interested. This driver is a multipurpose OS booter, and can boot into vhd directly or an image loaded in RAM.

Reactions: Joom

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I don't exactly know why you want to do this instead of just using start search, but just copy everything from "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu." navigate there, type "*", then copy everything from the results over.

Pretty inefficient though. It took me way longer to find the Paint icon then to just hit the winkey then start typing the name

free pic

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: