Hacking Question Help, I bricked my switch with a FW update

City Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the title says it all, but I will write the long story now, since I really don‘t understand what I did wrong and how I can fix the problem.

I wanted to install a new NSP release, but tinfoil just crashed with some error, which was not readable and using goldleaf, I was able to use the remote PC function (had access to my PC drives), but when I wanted to install the NSP, I got an error about an invalid NCA and that it is probably caused by a low firmware or missing sigpatches.

So actually it might sound stupid, but I always thought the CFW (atmosphere in my case) replaces the complete FW of the switch, so I thought I have the newest FW when I update atmosphere. So I downloaded atmosphere 0.9.4 (newest release), also downloaded the newest version of kosmos 14.1 and also downloaded the newest sigpatches which I could found. I overwrite with the new files the existing on my SD card, so Atmosphere and Kosmos were on the newest version. However I got the same error when trying to install the NSP and when I checked my FW system at the boot and in the settings and it showed 7.0.0, it hit me and I realized that the CFW apparently is only an addon and I am still on a very old FW version and that this is probably the reason I can’t install the NSP file. So I knew what I had to do and followed the guide one switch.homebrew.guide to install a new firmware via ChoiDujourNX. I downloaded Firmware 8.1 from team-xecuter and started the install process via ChoiDujourNX. I was also careful that autoRCM remains activated and that it blocks to reset to factory settings as explained in the guide. The install process worked without any error or problem and it finished exactly as described in the guide and followed the last step to shutdown the console. After that the problem started.

Since I was still in RCM, I injected the fusee-primary payload (also newest version 0.9.3 which I was also using before the FW update. It started with the kosmos and atmosphere boot screens, but then after the white atmosphere symbol, it went to a black screen and nothing happened anymore. I pressed the power button and realized that it didn’t went back to RCM, so I was already scared at that point. Since the battery was kind of low during the firmware update (although it was plugged in the PC), I thought perhaps the battery died after the FW update and restating the system and since it was late in the night and I had to work the next morning, I decided to put it to the charger overnight. I tried this morning again before work and still nothing happened, PC also didn’t show RCM and I couldn’t inject a payload. Since I quickly searched the internet and found out that I have to press the power button more than 10 seconds to shut the console completely off, which I did then and pressed the power button again to turn it on and I was relived when I saw that RCM has been detected and I could insert a payload again. So I injected fusee-primary again and the same thing happened, after the atmosphere logo the switch freezes on a black screen.

Now, I don’t know what I did wrong and more importantly, what I can do to fix the problem. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I bought my console in Japan and perhaps the English FW I downloaded is not compatible, but I thought it should be the same FW, since CFW also worked until now and the switch is region-free.

The biggest concern of mine is that I don’t have any backups. I did a backup when I first installed a CFW, but I lost that backup. I wouldn’t mind to loose all save games or other stuff one my switch if there is no other way, I just want to bring it to life again and hopefully on a CFW. I saw something about injecting another payload, but I am not sure which one and what to do afterwards (fixing the problem).

Can someone please explain to me my options (I hope I have some), and if possible what would be the easiest way to bring it back to a CFW, hopefully running on switch FW 8.1 or 9.0.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Reactions: melat

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This same problem happened to me a while back and I found out it was a really easy fix. When I updated with ChoiDujourNX I had a exfat micro sd card but accidently chose the wrong option for my micro sd card. So to fix it I backed up the micro sd card to my computer and then reformatted it to fat32 and recopied everything back over to it and tried to boot again. This fixed the black screen problem. To get exfat support back I had to update again with ChoiDujourNX and pick the exfat option this time. After the update it booted to a black screen again so I had to reformat my micro sd card back to exfat and copy everything back over to it, then it booted fine and I was now back on a exfat micro sd card. So I suggest that you check your micro sd card on your computer and see if it fat32 or exfat. Whichever format it is just back it up and reformat it to the opposite, this should fix the problem. I hope this makes since to you. Try this out and report back.

Last edited by maddenmike95,

City Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, that makes absolutely sense to me and would explain everything since I cannot imagine what else caused the problem. I will surely try that out tonight after I return home, that would be surely a super easy fix. One small question, when reformatting back to exfat, could you choose to update to the exactly same fw version? Also should I stay now on 8.1 or is it absolutely safe and has no negative effect to go already to 9.0?

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that makes absolutely sense to me and would explain everything since I cannot imagine what else caused the problem. I will surely try that out tonight after I return home, that would be surely a super easy fix. One small question, when reformatting back to exfat, could you choose to update to the exactly same fw version? Also should I stay now on 8.1 or is it absolutely safe and has no negative effect to go already to 9.0?

Yes, when reformatting back to exfat you can choose the exact same firmware version and yes 8.1 0r 9.0 will be totally fine. Just remember to choose the correct option for your micro sd card.

20181005_100943-1612x1209.jpg

The option on the left is fat32 and the right is exfat, just ignore the 6.0.0 in the picture, as it was the only picture I could find quickly to show. Also make sure you leave auto RCM on.

City Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I used the left option, which means FAT32, but since I have a 32GB stick I think that is already by default formatted to exfat... so I guess you are right.

Do i need a Special Software to Format to fat32? If so do you have a recommendation? By the way is it recommended to return to exfat afterwards? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I think I used the left option, which means FAT32, but since I have a 32GB stick I think that is already by default formatted to exfat... so I guess you are right.

Do i need a Special Software to Format to fat32? If so do you have a recommendation? By the way is it recommended to return to exfat afterwards? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
You can use guiformat to format the stick to FAT32. Don't use exFAT since it causes many issues on the switch. It's simply not necessary to use exFAT on your switch.

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I use exfat with no problems, it makes it easier when coping backup nsp's that are 4gb plus. You can not copy backup nsp's that are 4gb or more unless they are split to fat32 and this is why I use exfat. I have a lot of backups and I do not use network install, so exfat is much easier for my situation. I have separate micro sd cards that I use for lakka, Linux for tegra and android os when I need to use those. For all those you need a fat 32 micro sd.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I use exfat with no problems, it makes it easier when coping backup nsp's that are 4gb plus. You can not copy backup nsp's that are 4gb or more unless they are split to fat32 and this is why I use exfat. I have a lot of backups and I do not use network install, so exfat is much easier for my situation. I have separate micro sd cards that I use for lakka, Linux for tegra and android os when I need to use those. For all those you need a fat 32 micro sd.
You don't need network for goldtree...

City Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again man. Just to let you know it was indeed the SD card formatting, now it works again as it should be on FW 8.1. only problem is that i still get a crash when trying to install the NSP via USB with Fluffy/Tinfoil and using Quark/Goldleaf I still get the error about invalid NCA, so either too low FW or missing sigpatches. But it can be neither of these. Well perhaps the NSP file is corrupted and I should get a new one...

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again man. Just to let you know it was indeed the SD card formatting, now it works again as it should be on FW 8.1. only problem is that i still get a crash when trying to install the NSP via USB with Fluffy/Tinfoil and using Quark/Goldleaf I still get the error about invalid NCA, so either too low FW or missing sigpatches. But it can be neither of these. Well perhaps the NSP file is corrupted and I should get a new one...

It could very well be the sig patches, I use devmenu to install all my nsp's and never have run into any problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn