Hacking Question Help! I bricked my Switch by trying to boot into SXOS without microSD card installed

JayMoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello All!

Did I just permanently brick my Switch? If not, how do I fix it?

Current status of device:
Unable to power up (even after factory reset attempt 30 seconds+ hold), complete black screen but does get warm when placed in original charging dock.

How the incident happened:
I was trying to boot into SXOS via adapter and forget to put the microSD card back in the Switch, There was a coupe of red "BOOT.DAT?" screens that flashed before I realized the microSD card was missing. When I tried to boot up device again with mircoSD card installed this time, the device was unresponsive.

History of Switch device:
-Upgraded to 8.0.1 from 6.0 using ChoiDuJourNX around 4 weeks ago.(Not sure if this was a bad idea but didn't seems to cause any issues during the 4 weeks of very heavy use)
-Installed Retro-arch a week ago( I didn't have a chance to play very much but everything seems to be loading fine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold power button down for 12 full seconds, put on charge for a bit and then try again, it's just soft locked, SX used to do it every now and then to me it just needs a few tries

Reactions: Ericthegreat

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's not bricked because of that. In the "worst case" you just open your Switch and disconnect the battery, wait about a minute and plug it back in again.

JayMoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. I can confirm that my system will not restart via long power button press.

I can try to disconnect/reconnect the battery but I will need to buy the tri-tip screwdriver for that.

Is it possible that upgrading the system f using ChoiDuJourNX caused the issue?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ricosuave0922

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Booting sx without a sd card just gives a no boot.dat screen and you just have to hard power it off and boot it back up with the sd card in. Done it a few times before by mistake when switching cards. It won’t brick your switch. When holding the power button to hard power it off you gotta hold it longer than you think. Everyone says 12 seconds but in my experience I’ve had to do 20-30 sometimes.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you are in RCM. Did you perhaps enable autoRCM?
What do you use to inject payloads?
The quickest way to check is using TegraRCM and plugging in the USB cable

Reactions: JayMoon

JayMoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you are in RCM. Did you perhaps enable autoRCM?
What do you use to inject payloads?
The quickest way to check is using TegraRCM and plugging in the USB cable

Thanks for the suggestion!
My switch is working now and I can finally breath easy knowing I didn't permanently damage my switch.
It turns out that this was an RCM issue and the solution was to inject SXOS via TegraRCM

Video for fixing RCM battery drain issue:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Last edited by JayMoon,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise