1. JayMoon

OP JayMoon Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello All!

Did I just permanently brick my Switch? If not, how do I fix it?

Current status of device:
    Unable to power up (even after factory reset attempt 30 seconds+ hold), complete black screen but does get warm when placed in original charging dock.

How the incident happened:
    I was trying to boot into SXOS via adapter and forget to put the microSD card back in the Switch, There was a coupe of red "BOOT.DAT?" screens that flashed before I realized the microSD card was missing. When I tried to boot up device again with mircoSD card installed this time, the device was unresponsive.

History of Switch device:
    -Upgraded to 8.0.1 from 6.0 using ChoiDuJourNX around 4 weeks ago.(Not sure if this was a bad idea but didn't seems to cause any issues during the 4 weeks of very heavy use)
    -Installed Retro-arch a week ago( I didn't have a chance to play very much but everything seems to be loading fine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

2. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

United Kingdom
    Hold power button down for 12 full seconds, put on charge for a bit and then try again, it's just soft locked, SX used to do it every now and then to me it just needs a few tries

Ericthegreat likes this.
  3. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    It's not bricked because of that. In the "worst case" you just open your Switch and disconnect the battery, wait about a minute and plug it back in again.

4. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    It's not brick but crashed. Just hold the power button for a while then press it again and it will restart.

5. JayMoon

OP JayMoon Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. I can confirm that my system will not restart via long power button press.

I can try to disconnect/reconnect the battery but I will need to buy the tri-tip screwdriver for that.

Is it possible that upgrading the system f using ChoiDuJourNX caused the issue?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

6. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Strange I few times tried to boot SX OS without SD and never have such symptoms like you stated here...

7. ricosuave0922

ricosuave0922 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Booting sx without a sd card just gives a no boot.dat screen and you just have to hard power it off and boot it back up with the sd card in. Done it a few times before by mistake when switching cards. It won’t brick your switch. When holding the power button to hard power it off you gotta hold it longer than you think. Everyone says 12 seconds but in my experience I’ve had to do 20-30 sometimes.

8. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds like you are in RCM. Did you perhaps enable autoRCM?
    What do you use to inject payloads?
    The quickest way to check is using TegraRCM and plugging in the USB cable

JayMoon likes this.
  9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    He is in autorcm or his switch died, if it's dead it might need to charge for a long time to come back on.

JayMoon likes this.
  10. JayMoon

OP JayMoon Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    My switch is working now and I can finally breath easy knowing I didn't permanently damage my switch.
    It turns out that this was an RCM issue and the solution was to inject SXOS via TegraRCM

Video for fixing RCM battery drain issue:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Last edited by JayMoon, Apr 23, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - installed, bricked, without