HELP I ACCIDENTALLY MADE AN UNDELETEABLE FOLDER WITH UNPRONOUNCEABLE FILE NAMES ON FILES IN IT!

DreamcastBoy99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I was making a new folder,it wouldn't respond so i made another in the process. The original was filled with files with names like (╣!}Ü∩W.1xá , yïÑ╫:èε and ╘(╕╙▀E.Cs> HELP ME DELETE IT! NOT EVEN FILEASSASSIN CAN DELETE IT!

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You need to run a chkdsk (or scan disk as it was called in the pre Windows XP age) as the file system somehow got screwed up. Go to start menu and go to "Run" (or "Search" if you have Windows 7 without the run menu visible). Type CMD. Press enter. You should see it pop up. If you do have a "Run" option in the menu, then it will start immediately.

You should then see a black box pop up with text in it. Type in "CHKDSK C: /F" (no quotes) into the command prompt. It will say it can't check because windows is running. When it asks if it can start the scan during windows start up. Tell it yes. Then restart the computer. It will then run the disk scan and fix the problem. It will either remove the corrupted folder or the files inside it. If the folder is still there when windows boots up, it should then be deletable.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
its on a removable SD/hardrive right?

It wouldn't let you delete it cause windows can't access it properly in the first place since it's corrupted. Your best bet it back up the files that are still fine and format the drive

edit: being a folder in your pc itself, follow Apache's steps

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Try with a live disc of any Linux distro and you can remove it safely from there. Since you won't be able to type the name of the folder, move the other files/folders to another place, delete the folder containing the archives (open up a terminal, browse the folder and then type rm -r "name of folder") and then recreate it. (this is a very rudimentary solution, but it sure works, probably there is a better/faster one)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Unlocker might do the trick. Else the chkdsk method seem to be best because it might be a corrupt folder on a badblock.

FireGrey is just trying to troll.

Reactions: Kippykip

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Is this on a flash disk? Those names look suspiciously like what you might see if you've gone over the genuine data limit on a fake card (ie on a 2Gb card that's be 'upgraded' to 8Gb, as soon as you go past 2Gb you get corruption)

DreamcastBoy99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to run a chkdsk (or scan disk as it was called in the pre Windows XP age) as the file system somehow got screwed up. Go to start menu and go to "Run" (or "Search" if you have Windows 7 without the run menu visible). Type CMD. Press enter. You should see it pop up. If you do have a "Run" option in the menu, then it will start immediately.

You should then see a black box pop up with text in it. Type in "CHKDSK C: /F" (no quotes) into the command prompt. It will say it can't check because windows is running. When it asks if it can start the scan during windows start up. Tell it yes. Then restart the computer. It will then run the disk scan and fix the problem. It will either remove the corrupted folder or the files inside it. If the folder is still there when windows boots up, it should then be deletable.

Never Mind I scanned and fixed it using the prompt that pops up when i insert it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.