HELP I ACCIDENTALLY MADE AN UNDELETEABLE FOLDER WITH UNPRONOUNCEABLE FILE NAMES ON FILES IN IT!

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by DreamcastBoy99, Jul 19, 2014.

1. DreamcastBoy99
    OP

DreamcastBoy99 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2014
    United States
    so I was making a new folder,it wouldn't respond so i made another in the process. The original was filled with files with names like (╣!}Ü∩W.1xá , yïÑ╫:èε and ╘(╕╙▀E.Cs> HELP ME DELETE IT! NOT EVEN FILEASSASSIN CAN DELETE IT!

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    You need to run a chkdsk (or scan disk as it was called in the pre Windows XP age) as the file system somehow got screwed up. Go to start menu and go to "Run" (or "Search" if you have Windows 7 without the run menu visible). Type CMD. Press enter. You should see it pop up. If you do have a "Run" option in the menu, then it will start immediately.

You should then see a black box pop up with text in it. Type in "CHKDSK C: /F" (no quotes) into the command prompt. It will say it can't check because windows is running. When it asks if it can start the scan during windows start up. Tell it yes. Then restart the computer. It will then run the disk scan and fix the problem. It will either remove the corrupted folder or the files inside it. If the folder is still there when windows boots up, it should then be deletable.

3. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    its on a removable SD/hardrive right?

It wouldn't let you delete it cause windows can't access it properly in the first place since it's corrupted. Your best bet it back up the files that are still fine and format the drive

edit: being a folder in your pc itself, follow Apache's steps

4. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Try with a live disc of any Linux distro and you can remove it safely from there. Since you won't be able to type the name of the folder, move the other files/folders to another place, delete the folder containing the archives (open up a terminal, browse the folder and then type rm -r "name of folder") and then recreate it. (this is a very rudimentary solution, but it sure works, probably there is a better/faster one)

5. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Chkdsk works on USB storage devices too by the way. The only difference is you don't have to restart the computer. :P

6. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    There is a program called Unlocker, give that a try

7. FireGrey
    This message by FireGrey has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 19, 2014, Reason: Impractical/dangerous advice ~Dep.
    Jul 19, 2014
  8. Kippykip
    This message by Kippykip has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 19, 2014, Reason: Impractical/dangerous advice ~Dep.
    Jul 19, 2014
  9. FireGrey
    This message by FireGrey has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 19, 2014, Reason: Impractical/dangerous advice ~Dep.
    Jul 19, 2014
  10. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Unlocker might do the trick. Else the chkdsk method seem to be best because it might be a corrupt folder on a badblock.

FireGrey is just trying to troll.

Kippykip likes this.
  11. Kippykip
    This message by Kippykip has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 19, 2014, Reason: Impractical/dangerous advice ~Dep.
    Jul 19, 2014
  12. FireGrey
    Jul 19, 2014
  13. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Is this on a flash disk? Those names look suspiciously like what you might see if you've gone over the genuine data limit on a fake card (ie on a 2Gb card that's be 'upgraded' to 8Gb, as soon as you go past 2Gb you get corruption)

14. DreamcastBoy99
    OP

DreamcastBoy99 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2014
    United States
    Never Mind I scanned and fixed it using the prompt that pops up when i insert it.

15. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Good to see that it was resolved. I forgot to mention that since it was a USB drive, you would have to direct CHKDSK to the drive letter of that drive instead of drive C: but that doesn't matter now. :D