Homebrew [HELP] Help a newbie installing his childhood love "Tyrian" on a New 3DS

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I see - thanks ArnoDorian. So the only real difference between the two is that the r4ids.cn one needs to be patched every now and then? That doesn't seem like a lot of trouble, if it's much cheaper than that DSTWO card, which is out of production.
The r4i I showed you doesn't need to get patched very often due to N stopped blocking carts. However, don't update your 3DS until there's a go sign from the r4 team. It currently supports the latest 3ds fw which is 9.6

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see - that's good to know. Thanks. :)

But if I want to do SNES and GBA emulation, I should get the DSTWO, right?
Do you know where I could get my hands on one? I'm having a hard time finding it on Amazon.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I see - thanks ArnoDorian. So the only real difference between the two is that the r4ids.cn one needs to be patched every now and then? That doesn't seem like a lot of trouble, if it's much cheaper than that DSTWO card, which is out of production.

EDIT: Ah, I see. So if I want to do a lot of emulation, especially of SNES and GBA titles, I really should get a DSTWO card, then?

no. by revisions he meant, when nintendo released a new update for the 3ds console, the cards get blocked, DSTWO could survive to every nintendo update
however, r4 cards when they were blocked, the company that made that r4 cards, had to manufacter and sell a new card.. because the previous one got blocked..

but this doesn't longuer applies since nintendo doesn't block DS cards anymore since 7.x update.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I see - that's good to know. Thanks. :)

But if I want to do SNES and GBA emulation, I should get the DSTWO, right?
Do you know where I could get my hands on one? I'm having a hard time finding it on Amazon.

you can't get theese cards (ds flashcarts) on amazon... they are concidered "illegal"..

when i meant amazon, i was talking about the micro sd cards.

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's very good to know, mingles. Thanks!

Anyway, if I want to emulate SNES and GBA games, I really should be getting a DSTWO card, yes? I can't seem to find it on Amazon. Do you know where I could get it? Or are there any alternatives that are still in production and which are easier to get, that could do the same?

EDIT: I see - that's good to know. Do you know where I could get that DSTWO card, then?
EDIT2: I seem to have found the DSTWO for sale on some online stores based in my home country. Is there anything I should know about how to use that flashcard, or is it just basically plug-and-play?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
That's very good to know, mingles. Thanks!

Anyway, if I want to emulate SNES and GBA games, I really should be getting a DSTWO card, yes? I can't seem to find it on Amazon. Do you know where I could get it? Or are there any alternatives that are still in production and which are easier to get, that could do the same?

EDIT: I see - that's good to know. Do you know where I could get that DSTWO card, then?
EDIT2: I seem to have found the DSTWO for sale on some online stores based in my home country. Is there anything I should know about how to use that flashcard, or is it just basically plug-and-play?

i have it, its the same setup, you copy a folder to the micro sd card, put it on the dstwo card, and open on the console

if the dstwo is not flashed with the last firmware you will need to update it.

there is 2 ways to update it,
using a old DS
OR rename the update file and wait some time.
i can show you tutorials how to set it up.. is not a big deal..
can you show me where you found it? maybe there is some information about if it is already updated or not

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, mingles! I would very much appreciate such a tutorial! I'd be very handy to know if it's a simple enough procedure to do it myself.

And you bet. The site is in Danish, though, but you could try running it through Google Translate. They do say that they're always sending it with the latest firmware, however, and they even offer to update the firmware for you, free of charge, at any time - you'd probably only have to cover the postage fees.
Here's the site I'm looking at: http://www.konsol-chips.dk/shop/supercard-dstwo-for-1156p.html
The price is the equivalent of 42.75€. Is that a fair price for a DSTWO card?

EDIT: This site has the DSTWO for sale at an even better price at 28.90$, even though it probably has more expensive postage fees for me. Maybe I should get it there instead.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thanks, mingles! I would very much appreciate such a tutorial! I'd be very handy to know if it's a simple enough procedure to do it myself.

And you bet. The site is in Danish, though, but you could try running it through Google Translate. They do say that they're always sending it with the latest firmware, however, and they even offer to update the firmware for you, free of charge, at any time - you'd probably only have to cover the postage fees.
Here's the site I'm looking at: http://www.konsol-chips.dk/shop/supercard-dstwo-for-1156p.html
It was cheaper back then but because of its rarity now, grab it while you can.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

EDIT: This site has the DSTWO for sale at an even better price at 28.90$, even though it probably has more expensive postage fees for me. Maybe I should get it there instead.

if it says it ships out with last firmware, then all you need to do is copy some files to the sd card and go.

heres a complete tutorial with all the information.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

however the tutorial got all the extra stuff and all you actually need to do to play that game you asked and ds games is:
1. format the MICRO SD CARD that goes inside the DSTWO with panasonic formatter (this one: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html )
2. copy the files inside this zip to the micro sd card: http://down.supercard.sc/download/dstwo/DSTWO_v1.11_2012_1224_eng.zip
3. create a folder on the micro sd card with the name you like. and put games there (you can have multiple folders)

that is the setup... you just need to do it the first time

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for your help, mingles! I think that answers just about all of my questions. :)
Just two last questions:

1. If I want to do SNES/GBA emulation, then I'd be much better off getting the DSTWO card over the r4id.cn card, yes?
2. You mention that the Micro SD card should go inside the DSTWO card. I thought you were supposed to replace the stock SD card inside the 3DS with the Micro SD card - but that's not the case?

EDIT: Ah, yeah, you're right. It's just links to stores, and indeed doesn't seem to be updated. I'll likely get the DSTWO card from that Danish site instead. Cheers, mate! :)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thank you very much for your help, mingles! I think that answers just about all of my questions. :)
Just two last questions:

1. If I want to do SNES/GBA emulation, then I'd be much better off getting the DSTWO card over the r4id.cn card, yes?
2. You mention that the Micro SD card should go inside the DSTWO card. I thought you were supposed to replace the stock SD card inside the 3DS with the Micro SD card - but that's not the case?

1, the dstwo is the only card that can play snes\gba games at a minimum.. the DS console is not much powerfull to emulate them, and some games will be really bad, others will work, etc.. dstwo got a cpu inside to help with that emulation...

2. no, the micro sd card inside the 3ds is for the 3ds. you should leave it there and dont touch it. you CAN use on the dstwo, but highly not recommended becuase you have to open the 3ds and remove it..
its the same thing as using the micro sd card on your phone, you can remove it, put on the DSTWO but its not something you should do (this things are fragil you will eventually break something)

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. I see, thanks. But probably the New 3DS has better hardware, that should make the emulation of SNES and GBA games more likely to run at proper speeds, yes?

2. I see, that's very comforting to know. Indeed, I'd prefer not having to open up my brand new New 3DS. I didn't realize the Micro SD could be inserted into the DSTWO. That's very good to know. Again, thanks!

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
1. I see, thanks. But probably the New 3DS has better hardware, that should make the emulation of SNES and GBA games more likely to run at proper speeds, yes?

2. I see, that's very comforting to know. Indeed, I'd prefer not having to open up my brand new New 3DS. I didn't realize the Micro SD could be inserted into the DSTWO. That's very good to know. Again, thanks!

1. no, because this is a DS flashcart, it will run just exactly like it would run in a DS. if you play a DS game on the 3ds, it will work on DS mode (or dsi). therefore, running at "DS speed"
and before asking for a 3ds flashcart, if you are on the last 3ds firmware there is nothing you can do. if you are on firmware 9.2 that is another story, but still there is not a lot of emulators for 3DS MODE.
only the gb\c emulator can run on 3ds mode, but there are some issues.
but one of the problems with gba emulators is not that the DS is weak. one of the issues is the gba cards transfer speed is much greater than a ds card can handle.. or something like that..

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see, that clears things up. Thank you very much, again!
As for not being able to play 3DS games via the DSTWO, that's good to know, but not an issue for me, since I don't plan to pirate.

I believe this answers all of my questions. You, mingles and all the rest, have been an extraordinary help. I can't thank you all enough!
It certainly is very, very much appreciated.

I hope you have a good one! :)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I see, that clears things up. Thank you very much, again!
As for not being able to play 3DS games via the DSTWO, that's good to know, but not an issue for me, since I don't plan to pirate.

I believe this answers all of my questions. You, mingles and all the rest, have been an extraordinary help. I can't thank you all enough!
It certainly is very, very much appreciated.

I hope you have a good one! :)

tell me when you get the card, curious about if you really get it...
just dont come at me if the website scammed you xD can't help you with that, the store i purchased my cards did go out of business this year... (got the card for a year)
i wish i could recommend you a store to get your DSTWO from...

and keep an eye for counterfeit MICRO SD CARDS. they are not that rare... i got one.. it stopped working after some time, and usually the counterfeitls will say they have 8 GB but only 4 gb are working.. or speed is really slow.. that kind of problems

really buy them from trustable places (like electronic shop on your town)

edit: when you get the card, i can help you with the setup.. you will need to download plugins to play gba\snes games, but thats pretty easy and they are on supercard website (the manufacturer of dstwo)

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can bet I will do that, mingles! It's the least I can do! :)

Hahah, and don't worry - I won't hold it against you if that happens. The website I'll be ordering from has a lot of positive ratings from independent pro-consumer sites, and the website is also based in Denmark, which means that they're subject to our very strict and pro-consumer laws. I'd say the likelihood of being scammed is very low. ;)

I see. Again, very solid advice. I'll keep that in mind, and try to find a card from a trustworthy site. Again, if I'm going to be ordering from a Danish store, then I should be able to be pretty sure about the quality.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You can bet I will do that, mingles! It's the least I can do! :)

Hahah, and don't worry - I won't hold it against you if that happens. The website I'll be ordering from has a lot of positive ratings from independent pro-consumer sites, and the website is also based in Denmark, which means that they're subject to our very strict and pro-consumer laws. I'd say the likelihood of being scammed is very low. ;)

I see. Again, very solid advice. I'll keep that in mind, and try to find a card from a trustworthy site. Again, if I'm going to be ordering from a Danish store, then I should be able to be pretty sure about the quality.

well... for pretty cheap i can buy a website domain, for another amount i can rent a server, and build my own website making it a online store (i can also just host the website on my computer)
i don't even need to build the website, i can steal the design or look online for designs (there are websites that provide you free designs)
i actually did this once (hosted a website store on my computer, with a no-ip free domain, just for fun)

the thing is i could make a fully functional store, buy stuff from china and sell it with all claims and bullshit i want...

just to tell you.. doesn't matter if the website is danish or german or whatever, i could get on ebay, buy cheap fake cards and put on my store as genuine. there is no guarantee that the dude is actually on your country..

when you get the dstwo card. you will probably see the card comes from china (but dont worry about that, there is only a problem if you are buying (micro) SD cards.)

EDIT: i forget to say something, be sure to email the store before placing your DSTWO order, to make sure the guy has it on stock. some websites are slow at updating the website stock.. and i saw some poeple trying to purcahse cards that are no longer on stock..

Skafsgaard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I know. However, the site has been rated by an independent pro-consumer site, which is the best anti-scam guarantee you can get. And even if they're not based in Denmark, they're still subject to legal action at where ever they're based. :)

And yeah. Most electronics are produced in China or elsewhere in Asia these days. That's not necessarily an indicator of it being counterfit, as you say. For instance, iPhones are also produced in China, and they're pretty renowned for their high quality.

That's good advice about checking the stock, btw. It does say that they have in stock, but you're right that they could just be slow to update it. I've already e-mailed them about something else - I'll ask if their stock tracker is up-to-date when they reply. Thanks, mate! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49byd81I_Y