Help getting computer to recognize U-disk burner

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by dividend, Jun 3, 2007.

1. dividend
    OP

Newcomer dividend Member

Basically, I am having trouble getting the computer to recognize the U-disk burner correctly, so is it something wrong with the U-disk burner or is there something I can do to fix this problem? Let me explain further though...

Usually, I plug the U-disk burner in. The Blue LED does NOT light up. Windows does see it as an external device on the computer. It shows up as a drive on the computer and I can "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray. However I cannot view the contents of the drive because when I double-click the drive, a message comes up telling me to insert a disk into drive D:\. I can open the U-disk manager but it will not see any games on the flash cart and I am unable to write any games on it.

However, very rarely, it will work, as in: I plug the U-disk burner in, the blue LED lights up, I can double click on the drive and see the contents of the drive, I can use the U-disk manager to see all the games on the flash cart and add more as I wish.

I basically have to keep on plugging and unplugging the u-disk burner (safely removing hardware each time of course) until I see the blue LED light up so I know it works and it's getting frustrating. I've tried using different USB ports and such, but it's basically a crap-shoot whether it works or not. I would like the blue LED to come on the very first time I plug it in! Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. htoxad

Member htoxad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, this is a huge problem with the G6.

I only did this after my G6 was pretty much declared dead, but I always got a blue light after inserting the USB device in the PC, then sliding on the G6.
    I have to imagine this is potentially dangerous, but it can't be much worse than taking it in and out 5 times, praying for the blue light.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I'm assuming that the G6 still works properly and consistently in the DS, as you didn't mention any problems there.

Before you do anything, back up your saves if you haven't already done so.

It sounds like the contacts on the USB adapter are dirty or damaged. Try carefully cleaning the contacts on both the adapter and the G6. Sometimes just blowing in them is enough. Visually inspect the pins on the adapter to see if any of them are bent into the wrong position.

If that doesn't work, try these steps: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=37111

4. dividend
    OP

Newcomer dividend Member

Thanks for the replies!

Cleaning the contacts has increased the "success rate" of the computer reading the burner. Though not perfect, I can live with this for now and would rather not format unless I really had to. It's seemingly just a bad connection between the burner and flash cart.

5. emirof

Member emirof GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I had the same problem, though my LED lits every time i insert it in the USB, but when I look at it in My Computer it tells me to insert a drive [​IMG] I'll try cleaning it with something but if that doesn't work... oh I dare not think about it [​IMG]