Hacking Help get me back up to speed with Wii hacking, please?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everyone! I've been absent from the Wii scene for a while - I've been busy with college - but my friend just loaned me Super Mario Galaxy 2, and I'd really like to play it. However, I'm guessing there's an update waiting to install as soon as I pop in the disc, so I need to install that one program that blocks those updates, don't I? Isn't it called "Priiloader"?

It's been a long time since I last hacked my Wii. The only things I did to it, IIRC, were:

- Installed HBC via Bannerbomb
- Enabled DVD playback (but I do not use that feature, so as to preserve the disc reader)
- Installed BootMii to boot2
- Made a NAND Backup, saved to SD card

(months passed)

- Updated the Wii Shop Channel via Wii System Channel Updater

(months passed)

...And that's it. My Wii is still at firmware 3.2U, and I have little idea what to do next. I just want to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 for now, maybe install some emulators... I would REALLY appreciate some guidance! I've been through the guides a couple of times, but it's been a while, so I've forgotten what I was doing... >.>

Besides, it's always good to check with the community to make sure I'm not messing anything up, right? I hope this is not an annoyance to anyone. Thanks in advance for your time and (hopefully) your responses and detailed instructions!

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
keep 3.2 and install priiloader or startpatch and enable region free hack or just launch the game with neogame or gecko os. both of those will also block updates from disc. there is no need to update. i'm still rockin 3.2 and will continue to until nintendo puts out an update with a feature that i can't live without. chances of that are slim to none.

ps. you may have to update an ios for the game to play. i can't remember witch ios smg2 uses but shouldn't be to hard to find out. if that's the case use modmii to download said ios in wad form and install with wad manager.

smash_brew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
oops. did i say region free hack i ment the disc update block hack. sorry. either way there is really no reason to update your system menu. 3.2 runs everything that any other system menu will run other then launching vc and wiiware from sd. but you can use triforce to do that so again no reason to update from 3.2. the only thing you may have to do is update some ios's which can easily be done using modmii or nusd as i mentioned before.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smash_brew said:
oops. did i say region free hack i ment the disc update block hack. sorry. either way there is really no reason to update your system menu. 3.2 runs everything that any other system menu will run other then launching vc and wiiware from sd. but you can use triforce to do that so again no reason to update from 3.2. the only thing you may have to do is update some ios's which can easily be done using modmii or nusd as i mentioned before.
There is another reason. SDHC in wii menu and games

smash_brew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mikefor20 said:
smash_brew said:
There is another reason. SDHC in wii menu and games

for a guy that appears to only use his wii every couple months and is only trying to play one game i don't think that sdhc access in going to be a priority, and if he needs the extra access there is always usb. use a 2 or even 4 gb sd card, yes there are 4 gb sd cards, for saves(cuz thats all it's really good for) and usb for homebrew or media playback, or vc/wiiware launching via triforce, and for nand emulation. SDHC access = no big deal, or really shitty storage solution from nintendo.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't care about the SDHC access - I just want to keep as many features open as possible, in case I want to use them in the future. I'm fine with 3.2U for now; I just want to play Super Mario Galaxy 2.

So, I need to install Priiloader, and use the disc update block hack... And I need to update some ios's using modmii or nusd? Which one is easier to use?

I'm also interested in Gecko OS (although I don't know much about it), and I picked up a Western Digital 320MB external hard drive a while back, so I could play games without changing discs, and for storage... But I haven't had time to set it up either. -.-

Thanks for your advice so far, mikefor20 and smash_brew (nice username, bro).
smile.gif

(Hmm... Could I save SMG2 to my 320MB HD? IF so, how would I do that?)

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like ModMii only works for firmware 4.1 and up, though... I'd rather stick with 3.2U, unless updating to 4.X isn't going to cost my Wii any functionality or potential functionality?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a more detailed topic I made back in August, so please post any further advice you may have there:

http://gbatemp.net/t248487-help-me-get-bac...p;#entry3246972

I'm still not really sure about whether I should keep 3.2U or upgrade to 4.X... I would not mind updating as long as it does not sacrifice any homebrew/hacking potential. I've been very happy with 3.2U, but then I haven't done much hacking on it yet.

LordSturm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
modmii works on all firmwares, but it will make u update to at least 4.1, and u will not lose any functionality by doing so

My modchip (WiiFree) depends on Trucha signing bug to get SMG and other titles to work, wont I loose that functionality?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ I thought restoring a NAND backup was a measure of last resort, since if anything goes wrong during the process, your Wii is bricked?

LordSturm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Smash Br0 said:
^ I thought restoring a NAND backup was a measure of last resort, since if anything goes wrong during the process, your Wii is bricked?

Same here...

I ended up installing the latest BootMii + HBC, taking a nand backup, installing ISO58 ( not sure what purpose that achieved ) and Starfall v0.4.

Starfall is old but it seems to achieve what Priiloader does; on 3.2E very well.

Does anyone know exactly what I'd need to get those newer games working? ISO57 was mentioned, is 58 good enough, or does it look for a sepcific one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...