Hacking [HELP] Gateway flashcart not working after a few years (read on)

onlypuppy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have been following this thread (new user, unable to post links :( ) and I have not been able to get 3DS roms to work.
Whenever I see a video, people seem to get Gateway CFW load automatically when they go to DS Profile and then they just insert the RED cart, which doesn't happen to me, instead it boots to the Gateway menu, then when I boot it to Gateway and I insert the RED cart, nothing happens.

It's not a New 3DS, just a 3DS XL.

I have had my 3DS working with Gateway before but then it stopped a few years ago. The firmware is still 4.5.0-9E and the Gateway firmware is GW3D 4.2.0-9E. I know next to nothing about 3DS homebrew, as I have only returned to my 3DS years later.

If there are other threads (with answers) that have the same question, linking those would be very helpful!

EDIT: After reinstalling the Gateway firmware, it now automatically loads when entering the DS profile menu but the 3DS red cart still refuses to work!

Last edited by onlypuppy7,

onlypuppy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I made this thread to get help with the Gateway card, not be told to use homebrew like many other threads do.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some warnings if you insist on Gateway usage:
  • It is not compatible with latest firmware versions, even on EmuNAND.
  • Getting newest games to run is hard and requires some questionable tinkering.
  • You will probably not get any help on this forum with Gateway. This topic often leads to pointless discussions (where I never participate):
    • Gateway is obsolete and bad!!vs.
    • I paid for that cart and want to use it!!
I would help you if I could – but I can’t because I never owned a Gateway. If you had a working setup and do not need any newer games and/or online access I see (opposed to many other members) no problem in continued usage.

Given that the team behind Gateway abandoned it long ago and the free alternatives are better by now, I personally don’t see the point in trying to get it working either (unless you have old saves you care about and want to recover them).

Edit:

If you change your mind and want to install free Luma3DS CFW, you will run into a problem by simply following the guide because of a regression in Luma v10.0.1. Simply using Luma v9.1 until the console is updated to the latest firmware solves that.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: added warning (Luma regression on 4.x)

onlypuppy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some warnings if you insist on Gateway usage:
  • It is not compatible with latest firmware versions, even on EmuNAND.
  • Getting newest games to run is hard and requires some questionable tinkering.
  • You will probably not get any help on this forum with Gateway. This topic often leads to pointless discussions (where I never participate):
    • Gateway is obsolete and bad!!vs.
    • I paid for that cart and want to use it!!
I would help you if I could – but I can’t because I never owned a Gateway. If you had a working setup and do not need any newer games and/or online access I see (opposed to many other members) no problem in continued usage.

Given that the team behind Gateway abandoned it long ago and the free alternatives are better by now, I personally don’t see the point in trying to get it working either (unless you have old saves you care about and want to recover them).

The reason I want to use it is because I already have a lot of games that worked before and I don't have any spare big SD cards.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is highly recommended that you make the switch from Gateway to Luma3DS. In addition to the above reasons to leave Gateway behind, I've helped several people in the last few weeks who were using Gateway cartridges that wore out and stopped working. Even if you get your Gateway working, you might be on borrowed time.

Its a small card, only 4gb
The advice was to use the microSD card in your red cartridge as your SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over