Help! From a Wii newbie....

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by candwtaylor, Dec 26, 2010.

Dec 26, 2010
  1. candwtaylor
    OP

Newcomer candwtaylor Newbie

United States
    Help! I softmodded my Wii over the summer to make it easier for my kids to play their games - no loading games in and out. We love it! We installed homebrew and the USB Configure thingy. My son just got NFL training camp for Christmas and in our excitement we updated the wii (yes, I know that was b-a-d) to 4.3. Now, we can play the training camp game and other games we have on disc but we have lost Homebrew channel and the ability to play games of the external hard drive. What are our options? Can I reset the wii to 4.2 so we can play all our other games? If we do that will be able to block updates and still play nfl training camp? Can I re-install homebrew at 4.3 and still use my hard drive and training camp disc? Am I just screwed?

Please help a wii newbie.... TIA

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Good news and bad news for you...

The good news is: yes, it is possible to resoftmod your wii. It is possible to use your USB drive, just like before. It is also possible to block further updates, though that is not really your concern right now. It is NOT needed to downgrade (in fact, that would be a bad idea).

Now...the bad news: update 4.3 (as well as 4.2 before) does nothing - I repeat: NOTHING - but remove all sorts of piracy-related things. Your cIOS'es are overwritten by "newer versions" that contain no code, and the homebrew channel is removed. Basically: you have to start your softmod all over again.

How to do it can be found in the sticky (you may also want to check out modmii...I guess it has a tutorial for your situation as well). Be forewarned that you need to treat your wii as a virgin 4.3 wii (and since you're from the US, you're going to need the game Super Smash Bros Brawl).

Good luck. [​IMG]

EDIT: forgot to add: once you've got the whole thing softmodded...do yourself a favor and install priiloader on the thing. Among other things, it has a hack that'll prevent discs to update your wii. It's too late for that advice now, but it will prevent you getting in the same situation in case nintendo releases new firmware. [​IMG]

3. unnkown95

Member unnkown95 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just softmod it again, you will need lego indiana jone or super smash borthers brawl but it only takes 2 or 3 minutes

4. candwtaylor
    OP

United States
    Thanks for everyones helpful advice!

5. candwtaylor
    OP

United States
    Can you still play some of the new games like NFL Training Camp if I don't update it?