OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys!

So I'm thinking about getting a Wii and hooking it up to my LCD monitor.
Before I start purchasing, could you guys confirm that this setup works?

So my current LG 2361VG has 1x VGA, 1x DVI, and 1x HDMI.
Atm the VGA is available and the DVI is connected to my computer.
My speakers are also connected to my computer (naturally).

Now, I'm looking at this:
Main Shop Site
(Front and back)

So if I have my Wii, and using component cables such as:
Clicky

Connect those components into the Wii and HDbox, connect a VGA cable from the box to the empty port on my monitor, and plug my speakers into the Audio Out on the box.

Would this setup work properly?
Also, is there some kind of splitter that I can use for the speakers so that I wouldn't need to unplug and replug it each time I switch? Or am I stuck manually switching the cable?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: What's "better" between using a single Wii VGA cable (Vdigi products), and component cables + converter box?
Is there a better setup I can use without being too pricey?

Would anyone just recommend this?
Clicky

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont know about the quality of the items you suggested
but generally such a setup should work ok

from what I know the picture quality can vary greatly on converters
I doubt that it has much impact on the quality if cables are separate or integrated
just a choice of flexibility

The best chance you got is looking for reviews of the exact products

yes audio switches are available
only drawback is you will have to switch in two places each time (tv + box)
I simply used a spare set of boxes (integrated in lcd)

the box you suggested has even a switch integrated (audio + video)
simply use the audio-in that belongs to the vga-in
in case the box tries to be smart and only switch if there is a signal
just set you gpu to clone the picture to vga and hook it up to

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your setup should work. I've got something similar with a "High-Box".

There's no difference between the single Wii VGA cable and a component cable + a converter box if you're only using it for your Wii. The Wii VGA cable is internally a component cable connected to a converter chip anyway.

The advantage is that you can connect other consoles to your monitor with the separate box.

With your speakers, you don't have to change the plugs - just connect your PC audio out to the audio in on the HD Box, and then connect the audio out on the HD Box to your speakers. It should include a male to male audio cable in the box. Otherwise an audio cable splitter/joiner should be about $2 or less on eBay.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, thank you very much for the help, you two.

Would the video quality tend to be better with a VGA cable or component cable + a converter box?
I've heard mixed opinions. :\

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The video quality should be identical.

The Wii doesn't have native VGA output unlike the Dreamcast, the Xbox or the Xbox 360. The VGA cables for the Wii connect the component output pins on the AV port to the component input pins on a component-VGA converter chip; I assume the chip is powered by either the 5v or 12v pins on the AV port although I'm just guessing.

If you need 480i (interlaced) support you need to make sure that whatever you use supports it, some only support progressive video (480p). As a general rule, you should be able to assume the converter box supports 480i if it has a 'menu' or 'resolution' button (since if it has to be able to overlay on or resize the video, it probably is advanced enough to do deinterlacing). Given how restricted the VGA cables are for space I suspect they use chips that don't support 480i and the first couple of reviews I could find suggested that they don't support interlaced signals (doesn't mean there aren't any out there that do, I just didn't find them with a very quick search).

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lll said:
The video quality should be identical.

The Wii doesn't have native VGA output unlike the Dreamcast, the Xbox or the Xbox 360. The VGA cables for the Wii connect the component output pins on the AV port to the component input pins on a component-VGA converter chip; I assume the chip is powered by either the 5v or 12v pins on the AV port although I'm just guessing.

If you need 480i (interlaced) support you need to make sure that whatever you use supports it, some only support progressive video (480p). As a general rule, you should be able to assume the converter box supports 480i if it has a 'menu' or 'resolution' button (since if it has to be able to overlay on or resize the video, it probably is advanced enough to do deinterlacing). Given how restricted the VGA cables are for space I suspect they use chips that don't support 480i and the first couple of reviews I could find suggested that they don't support interlaced signals (doesn't mean there aren't any out there that do, I just didn't find them with a very quick search).
I thought as much. Went to Best Buy today and, as expected, they didn't carry any sort of converter.

How's the High-Box working for you? It's my understanding that it does support 480i/p.
But someone posted this comment on a review of it: "I have the same device, i noticed the sound comes out as mono, not stereo, wich actually sucks." Are you encountering this?

Recommend that or any other product?

Again, thanks so much!

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It works well, although it doesn't support my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080). Running it at a lower resolution and letting the monitor upscale doesn't show any noticeable scaling artefacts.

Haven't noticed the sound being in mono and I'd be surprised if it was but then again I wasn't looking for it. Worst case scenario is that you pick up an RCA to 3.5mm converter off eBay.

As for Best Buy, yeah, not surprising. It's the sort of thing that you're prolly going to have to buy from Hong Kong or China.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr