All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine on MSN is editing a ROM as a test project with CrystalTile2 and says she would like to edit a few BIN and PRS files. She says the files she wishes to edit possibly hold descriptive text for menu options and in-game tutorial text. She didn't give me any more details than that.

How would she go about editing BIN and PRS files?

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Depends on the compression. We need more information before we can really help.

Bin files are almost always the easiest to edit, though.
Hmm... She says she doesn't really understand much about ROM hacking, so she can't say what the compression is.. But she does have more information.

Someone else told her that because the game is a collective port of 2 separate games (she still hasn't told me what game she's editing, however!), the part which she wishes to edit has a PS1-type filesystem or compression. In her words, "he said it's got a ps1 file system or compression. or something. i dunno. maybe?"

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh?
You'll have to ask the game. I'll have to take a look for myself.

But if she doesn't understand much romhacking, she should probably study up on that before going further. Sometimes compression can be a bitch.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Eh?
You'll have to ask the game. I'll have to take a look for myself.

But if she doesn't understand much romhacking, she should probably study up on that before going further. Sometimes compression can be a bitch.

She claims she couldn't study much on it because CrystalTile2 was the most suggested program for ROM hacks and there aren't any tutorials for it.

She also apparently found a program that converts PRS files into BIN files, then attempted to edit them in a program called YY-CHR99 because it was the first result that came up when she googled something along the lines of 'how to edit bin files rom hacking'.

She's telling me this information really slow-like. Wow...

Oh! There we go. The game is Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition Kanzenban. To think I had only mentioned yesterday that an english version of that game would be kind of neat...

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently, most of the text in this game, including some of the menu, are .gifs. She'll have to work on those, but some of the stuff that I'm seeing requires more romhacking knowledge, so if she's serious about this, she'll have to learn. There ARE indeed tutorials. There are no tutorials for CrystalTile 2 cause you can't step by step your way into romhacking since every game is different.

I'm not sure what YY-CHR99 did for her since the only one I found is for graphic editing(Since it's like Tile Layer Pro)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Apparently, most of the text in this game, including some of the menu, are .gifs. She'll have to work on those, but some of the stuff that I'm seeing requires more romhacking knowledge, so if she's serious about this, she'll have to learn. There ARE indeed tutorials. There are no tutorials for CrystalTile 2 cause you can't step by step your way into romhacking since every game is different.

I'm not sure what YY-CHR99 did for her since the only one I found is for graphic editing(Since it's like Tile Layer Pro)
She's got the .gif files taken care of, for the most part, but it sounds like she REALLY wants to get the tutorials down. What hinders her is both finding them and editing the PRS and BIN files.... Apparently the tutorials are actual in-game text and not images like the rest. I'm not sure. She keeps telling me all these things and continuously sounds like she doesn't understand half of what she's saying.

Edit) I'm not sure what YY-CHR99 did for her either. All she tells me is that it could open the file but it didn't work.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, she'll need to study up on her romhacking.

All I keep finding for PRS file extensions are that they're graphic files. There could be text in the files, since a file can have both graphics and text. Until FAST(Who has a vast knowledge on these things) or another romhacker passes through, this is all the help I can give.

Your friend's a bit confusing, though. She has to be thorough if she wants a little more help.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Again, she'll need to study up on her romhacking.

All I keep finding for PRS file extensions are that they're graphic files. There could be text in the files, since a file can have both graphics and text. Until FAST(Who has a vast knowledge on these things) or another romhacker passes through, this is all the help I can give.

Your friend's a bit confusing, though. She has to be thorough if she wants a little more help.
That's all I could find, too! She says she's asked everyone she knows, but nobody can help her. I referred her to romhacking.net's forum, but a few minutes later she said she was awaiting approval.

I don't suppose you know of any programs that can edit .bin files, do you? She DID say she found a PRS-BIN converter.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrystalTile 2 can edit .bin files. I use it all the time. If I recall, the main editor IS the hex editor for it. .bins are very easy to edit if you know the compression. If there's any at all sometimes.

She'll need to be patient with romhacking.net if she wants some help.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
BIN isn't a single thing. It's an extremely generic extension.

Since she says it's likely to be text stuff, she could try a hex editor just to peek.
I don't think she's cut out for rom hacking. She says she doesn't understand how to edit hex, nor does she know what any of it means.

QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ Jun 8 2011, 12:47 AM) CrystalTile 2 can edit .bin files. I use it all the time. If I recall, the main editor IS the hex editor for it. .bins are very easy to edit if you know the compression. If there's any at all sometimes.

She'll need to be patient with romhacking.net if she wants some help.
Well, she doesn't know how to use CrystalTile2 very well, nor does she know hex editing... When I ask what the compression of the BIN files are, she says "The file extension is .bin so that's the compression, right?"

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Fuck logic? But isn't she asking about these things... to know something?

If she doesn't want genuine help, then so be it. I have better things to do with my time.

Good luck, Sora.
I think she's tired of people telling her to learn rom hacking. From what I understand, she's asked around and got the response 'learn to romhack' most of the time.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
I think she's tired of people telling her to learn rom hacking. From what I understand, she's asked around and got the response 'learn to romhack' most of the time.

They speak the truth. She just refuses to listen. If you don't learn, you won't figure it out.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

They speak the truth. She just refuses to listen. If you don't learn, you won't figure it out.
I understand what you mean. She's so stubborn, really set on her ideals of 'tldr, try it out without knowing how, figure it out, winning'.

Coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm just wondering ...

Why doesn't your friend just sign up and ask these questions herself?
She has internet.
Would've been a lot faster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup