Help! Flashing new games onto GB Memory (GBメモリ)

radicaldreamers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the GB Memory (GBメモリ), the official Japan-only Nintendo flashcart that was used to sell digital copies of games at reduced prices through kiosks in stores. I picked one of these up out of curiosity and now I am wondering how one might go about flashing new games onto it? What would I need to get the cartridge hooked up to my computer? Would I need special programs to be able to access the data on the cartridge? Any help at all is appreciated.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hjmm thisis interesting .. how much does they coust?
there aren't an USB way to load then? (since pararell ports are museum piece nowadeys :v) work only GB games or also gbc?
And does it get recognized as original games? for example in pokemon stadium or mario tennis?

D

Deleted User

hjmm thisis interesting .. how much does they coust?
there aren't an USB way to load then? (since pararell ports are museum piece nowadeys :v) work only GB games or also gbc?
And does it get recognized as original games? for example in pokemon stadium or mario tennis?
I'm guessing any GB/C that uses an MBC1,2,3 chip or no MBC chip will work
And it would probably work with Transfer Pak if you overwrite the original loader app with the game you want in Transfer Pak, thus you wouldn;t be able to use multicart, but it might be good if there's a Pokémon ROMhack you really like. I'm considering getting a few in advance for when my friend finalizes his hacking project.

Should be noted that there is an unused space for an oscillator which is needed for RTC so you could use it with RTC games with a bit of soldering. Though if you're gonna do that you may as well just buy a Japanese Pokémon Gold cart real cheap and replace the ROM chip with a flash chip.

There may be issues with games that are programmed to overwrite themselves as an anti piracy measure since the games will be on flash instead of ROM I think there's patches for most of those games.

There's 4 on ebay for like $50-80

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Japanese Pokémon Gold cart real cheap
not in my country .. if it's say pokemon , it's expensive ¬¬ even being old, bad cared, no saving or pirate )or all together) =3=

well this is interestig but idk I think is someone I can't ivest right now :/ and for something I want to use more as curiosity lol

D

Deleted User

not in my country .. if it's say pokemon , it's expensive ¬¬ even being old, bad cared, no saving or pirate )or all together) =3=

well this is interestig but idk I think is someone I can't ivest right now :/ and for something I want to use more as curiosity lol
Still a lot cheaper than a Nintendo Power cart. I have a listing for Japanese Gold + Silver in my watchlist for $5.85USD which I plan to have modded into RTC enabled flash carts.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Still a lot cheaper than a Nintendo Power cart. I have a listing for Japanese Gold + Silver in my watchlist for $5.85USD which I plan to have modded into RTC enabled flash carts.
and me here suffering to make my original japanes epokemon collection XD
I accept donations and gifts since i'ts cheap there haha /runs/ ( ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶z̶e̶l̶d̶a̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶z̶e̶l̶d̶a̶)
(Actually I started wnating all japanes ebut now thinking better, having different languages too would be nice, like I wnat to my zelda one... I was so closed to US-JPN that I forgot that have on another languages as well haha ... but my main search is for japanese :v )

well the idea looks nice, but it's easy to get a random cart and just flash it ? I really noob with these things, if have codes it even worse, I think seeing something in chinese is mre confortable than seeing codes aaa XDD

D

Deleted User

and me here suffering to make my original japanes epokemon collection XD
I accept donations and gifts since i'ts cheap there haha /runs/ ( ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶z̶e̶l̶d̶a̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶z̶e̶l̶d̶a̶)
(Actually I started wnating all japanes ebut now thinking better, having different languages too would be nice, like I wnat to my zelda one... I was so closed to US-JPN that I forgot that have on another languages as well haha ... but my main search is for japanese :v )

well the idea looks nice, but it's easy to get a random cart and just flash it ? I really noob with these things, if have codes it even worse, I think seeing something in chinese is mre confortable than seeing codes aaa XDD
Well, you need to unsolder the ROM and then solder a flash chip on, then you need to get some sort of cart flashing device, all of which use the outdated serial port which pcs don't have these days. I plan on paying someone to do it for me.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think I saw other day on a printer store one adaptator that goes seria > usb ... not sure if would work for this :v
I wonder these stuff aren't easy to find and cheap, right? =3=

and also will need a flash card to get the flash chip? or wecan find separately ?

btw how does pkemon stadium react to rom hacks, if the cart can passes the protection?

D

Deleted User

I think I saw other day on a printer store one adaptator that goes seria > usb ... not sure if would work for this :v
I wonder these stuff aren't easy to find and cheap, right? =3=

and also will need a flash card to get the flash chip? or wecan find separately ?

btw how does pkemon stadium react to rom hacks, if the cart can passes the protection?
Stadium will recognize any game with a Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal header. If you change Pokémon and moves in the hack then Stadium will read them off the save as the original unhacked Pokémon and moves.

You can get flash chips on their own, there's some DIY sites that recommend types of chips.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hmm nice .. but what if someone changed all the graohics and scenarios (aka fangame hack) and wanted to play it on GB tower, for example? õ3o
(btw I know i'ts no use since I don't have n64 flashcard lol but is there a way to make stadium recognise japanese/other languages version, alltogether sor something alike?:B you see I'm very curius about these stuff hahha )

D

Deleted User

hmm nice .. but what if someone changed all the graohics and scenarios (aka fangame hack) and wanted to play it on GB tower, for example? õ3o
(btw I know i'ts no use since I don't have n64 flashcard lol but is there a way to make stadium recognise japanese/other languages version, alltogether sor something alike?:B you see I'm very curius about these stuff hahha )
GB Tower will load it depending on the size of the ROM file. (Stadium 1's GB Tower will only load 1MB games and Stadium 2's will read 1MB and 2MB games, maybe others), there's videos of people playing various GB games on the GB Tower. I've been beta testing a Pokémon Green fan translation that's 2MB and it will load in Stadium 2 but not Stadium 1 due to size.

Dunno about what will happen if Stadium read the save of a different language game, I know that trading between different languages on the Gameboy corrupts the data.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the GB Memory (GBメモリ), the official Japan-only Nintendo flashcart that was used to sell digital copies of games at reduced prices through kiosks in stores. I picked one of these up out of curiosity and now I am wondering how one might go about flashing new games onto it? What would I need to get the cartridge hooked up to my computer? Would I need special programs to be able to access the data on the cartridge? Any help at all is appreciated.

if you can find an ez-writer or xg linker flasher and do a level 1 or level 2 mod:
http://mootan.hg.to/fmgbx/ez_fmgbx.html
coupled with mootan's Flashmanager GBx software and you're golden.
myflash.jpg

and there's also a mod for Flash Advance Linker Xtreme which you can use:
http://mootan.hg.to/fmgbx/xt_fmgbx.html
which goes up to level 3.
haven't tried this one though.

D

Deleted User

Where can I buy those and would it work for legit carts with the ROM replaced with flash?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol