Hacking Help fixing crash when pressing the HOME button on Bomberman Hero WAD?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello!
Recently I've tried to make some Nintendo 64 (N64) Wii Virtual Console injections using the last WAD released officialy "Bomberman Hero".
I tested injecting some N64 games in it, including Dr. Mario 64, Space Invaders 64, and Pokémon Stadium.
For my surprise, the game Pokémon Stadium loaded perfectly in Bomberman Hero WAD, so I was testing if the game was playable in the WAD, and IT WORKS GREAT! (but with some very minor glitches.) Amazing, isn't it?
But, in all injections I've made in Bomberman Hero, the injected WAD crashes when I press the HOME button, making it unusable, and freezing and soft-locking my emulated Wii in Dolphin Emulator.
Anyone has tried fixing this issue in the WAD? If you did it, can anyone say me how I can fix it for make them usable and to display correctly the HOME Menu when I press the HOME button? HELP, PLEASE!! I always dreamed to play Pokémon Stadium on Wii.
Thanks in advance :bow:

PD: I'm sending you some screenshots of the game "Pokémon Stadium" working on Bomberman Hero (N64) WAD:
PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD.PNG

PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD 2.PNG
PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD 3.PNG
PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD 4.PNG
PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD 5.PNG
PokemonStadium64 game1.PNG
PokemonStadium64 game2.PNG
PokemonStadium64 working on BombermanHero64 WAD 6.PNG

Photo of WAD crashing when I press the HOME button:
HOME button crash BBMan Hero 64.PNG

Last edited by SaulFabre,

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Es increíble amigo, me interesa ese fajo que usaste donde lo conseguiste, ¿en el repositorio de mario cube? Estoy interesado y me gustaría que alguien solucionara el problema del botón de inicio. Saludos

It's amazing friend, I'm interested in that wad that you used where you got it, in the mario cube repository? I am interested and would like someone to fix the home button problem. Greetings

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Please post in English
Reactions: SaulFabre

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
In order to prevent the Home Menu from crashing the game you have to find the title ID of the original ROM of the VC title.
Open the uncompressed ROM in a hex editor and you'll find the ID easily, just copy it over to the new ROM and that's it, no more crashing.

I wrote about it a while back but I guess it got lost since I couldn't find it, though admittedly I only wrote something like "just change the title id to the base rom." which might be confusing to some.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Es increíble amigo, me interesa ese fajo que usaste donde lo conseguiste, ¿en el repositorio de mario cube? Estoy interesado y me gustaría que alguien solucionara el problema del botón de inicio. Saludos
It's amazing friend, I'm interested in that wad that you used where you got it, in the mario cube repository? I am interested and would like someone to fix the home button problem. Greetings
Hey @Zorg1996 te escribí la respuesta en tu perfil de ElOtroLado (en adelante llamaré EOL para abreviarlo), míralo porfa

Hey Zorg1996 I wrote you the answer in your ElOtroLado profile (from now on I will call EOL for short), look at it please

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Please post in English
Reactions: Zorg07

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
In order to prevent the Home Menu from crashing the game you have to find the title ID of the original ROM of the VC title.
Open the uncompressed ROM in a hex editor and you'll find the ID easily, just copy it over to the new ROM and that's it, no more crashing.

I wrote about it a while back but I guess it got lost since I couldn't find it, though admittedly I only wrote something like "just change the title id to the base rom." which might be confusing to some.
Ok @SuperrSonic thanks for the info, I uncompressed the "original" ROM file of the Bomberman Hero WAD with romchu and I got a file with 12,0 MB, and when i checked in HxD Hex Editor i found that the ID was "NBDE". I edited the ROM i wanted to inject by changing the ID of the game, and I injected with romc compression Type 1, and when I loaded it in my Wii, it loads and when I press the HOME button, the injected WAD won't crash; that means the WAD when HOME button pressed opens the HOME Menu. Thanks very much @SuperrSonic you're a crack :)

Reactions: raxadian

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hey @Zorg1996 te escribí la respuesta en tu perfil de ElOtroLado (en adelante llamaré EOL para abreviarlo), míralo porfa

Hey Zorg1996 I wrote you the answer in your ElOtroLado profile (from now on I will call EOL for short), look at it please
ya te respondi bro :v

I already answered you bro: v

Last edited by VinsCool,

Mantekilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance I can get some help with this? I downloaded your injector tools and i put the ps rom and the bomber man wad and it goes through the process after typing y and enter a bunch, when I open output.wad in dolphin, it just plays bomberman hero! Please help!

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Any chance I can get some help with this? I downloaded your injector tools and i put the ps rom and the bomber man wad and it goes through the process after typing y and enter a bunch, when I open output.wad in dolphin, it just plays bomberman hero! Please help!
Oops sorry @Mantekilla, my tool for injecting N64 games to Wii VC games on romc format has a bug that doesn't pick up correctly N64 ROMs in *.z64. Sorry for that, I'm so surprised that nobody mentioned that bug! :( Please be patient when I solve this issue for you in my tool N64romc_iNJECT.exe and I will tell you the update in a next update of AIO Wii VC iNJECT Tools by me.
Okay @Mantekilla? ;)
PD: But if you still want to inject the Pokémon Stadium on Bomberman Hero WAD, here's another solution:
  1. Get my tools pack for injecting ROMs into VC WADs here in this link.
  2. Uncompress the contents and seek for the romc compressor (romc Compressor Type 1, NOT Type 0).
  3. Get your ROM, copy it and paste into romc folder
  4. Open CMD in the romc folder, the enter the following and press Enter: romc.exe e ROMNAME.z64 romc_ROMNAME.z64 - Example: romc.exe e PokemonStadium.z64 romc_PokemonStadium.z64
  5. Once finished compression, take the new ROM compressed in romc compression, copy it and paste it into your injector (Auto InjectuWAD or Devilken Injector). Also copy your WAD into the same folder of your injector that you will use.
  6. Inject your ROM by following this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/virtual-console-nintendo-64-n64-wii-vc-injection-tutorial.556159/
Greetings :D

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oops sorry @Mantekilla, my tool for injecting N64 games to Wii VC games on romc format has a bug that doesn't pick up correctly N64 ROMs in *.z64. Sorry for that, I'm so surprised that nobody mentioned that bug! :( Please be patient when I solve this issue for you in my tool N64romc_iNJECT.exe and I will tell you the update in a next update of AIO Wii VC iNJECT Tools by me.
Okay @Mantekilla? ;)
PD: But if you still want to inject the Pokémon Stadium on Bomberman Hero WAD, here's another solution:
  2. Uncompress the contents and seek for the romc compressor (romc Compressor Type 1, NOT Type 0).
  4. Open CMD in the romc folder, the enter the following and press Enter: romc.exe e ROMNAME.z64 romc_ROMNAME.z64 - Example: romc.exe e PokemonStadium.z64 romc_PokemonStadium.z64
  5. Once finished compression, take the new ROM compressed in romc compression, copy it and paste it into your injector (Auto InjectuWAD or Devilken Injector). Also copy your WAD into the same folder of your injector that you will use.
  6. Inject your ROM by following this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/virtual-console-nintendo-64-n64-wii-vc-injection-tutorial.556159/

That's useful, I will try later.

Last edited by raxadian,

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay @Mantekilla? ;)
Hello Saul, i made a pokemon stadium .wad following all your instructions, even adding the home button thing, it works but the game has no sound. Did i missed something? Also, i used the Jurai compressor.

Last edited by drag4you,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello Saul, i made a pokemon stadium .wad following all your instructions, even adding the home button thing, it works but the game has no sound. Did i missed something?

My best guess is some problem reading the compressed audio format that the game uses. Try exporting Pokemon Stadium 2 to see if it has the same problem.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello Saul, i made a pokemon stadium .wad following all your instructions, even adding the home button thing, it works but the game has no sound. Did i missed something? Also, i used the Jurai compressor.
It's a common problem with N64 VC injected WADs. Some games don't play the sound. This is still unfixable in some N64 VC WADs, sorry :(

Reactions: drag4you

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's a common problem with N64 VC injected WADs. Some games don't play the sound. This is still unfixable in some N64 VC WADs, sorry :(

Unfortunately I am quire sure is because the emulator cannot play certain kinds of compressed audio. That and the 40ish mb limit is one of the reasons we had to wait until the Wii U to get more N64 ports.

Say whatever you want of the Wii U but hacked is a great emulation machine.

Breaks less that the Switch too.

Last edited by raxadian,

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its okay, at least i tried to see if it works, it does, no sound but it does work. Also, tried injecting Pokemon Stadium to Mario Party 2 and... it has sound but all the 3d scenes like battles and even the intro are in black screen but the menus of the game are visible.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Its okay, at least i tried to see if it works, it does, no sound but it does work. Also, tried injecting Pokemon Stadium to Mario Party 2 and... it has sound but all the 3d scenes like battles and even the intro are in black screen but the menus of the game are visible.

So basically that game had support for compressed sound but not for the graphics.

You will have to try with every official N64 Wiiware to see if one works okay.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
So basically that game had support for compressed sound but not for the graphics.

You will have to try with every official N64 Wiiware to see if one works okay.
@raxadian @drag4you Have you tried copying the "sound capturer" file from 5.app from Mario Party 2 WAD and put it in 5.app of Bomberman Hero WAD?

Not sure if it works but i think it's a possible solution for that...

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@raxadian @drag4you Have you tried copying the "sound capturer" file from 5.app from Mario Party 2 WAD and put it in 5.app of Bomberman Hero WAD?

Not sure if it works but i think it's a possible solution for that...
I haven't, but will try. I been trying every n64 wad that has the 8/8 type content because the 7/7 type, the wad manager won't let me install it. Also the only 8/8 type game that wad manager won't let me install is kirby crystal shards all the others 8/8 type content wads work except that one. Unfortunately only 3 wad injects work with Pokemon Stadium: OgreBattle64 it crashes once you enter the main menu goes into a white screen no sound, Bomberman Hero same as OgreBattle64 BUT at least it doesn't crash and Mario Party 2 has SOUND and is playable but has black screen on battles, you can still make a move and hear if it hit or missed even tho you can't see whats going on.

Last edited by drag4you,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning