Help extracting SLC Nand from Wii U to fix a brick

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Carlos_DobleC, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Carlos_DobleC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    Hello guys, a few months ago I bricked my Wii U: https://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-wiiu.463210/

I patiently waited for the day when the console can be fixed by only having a backup of the OTP; and I think that day has already arrived, or at least that has seemed to me after reading this thread entirely: https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/

But my knowledge of electronics is zero, so a friend who knows welding will help me with the process, but he knows nothing about Wii U.
    As far as we can understand, we bought Teensy 2.0 ++, and a "chip"? (I definitely have no idea of this, less bad than my partner yes) that regulates 3.3 volts or something of the style.
    But in the thread itself there is no complete guide and I prefer to ask everything before risking to definitively break my Wii U.

So my question is, what steps should I follow exactly to be able to extract the SLC Nand from my Wii U so I can fix it with my OTP and the NandCbhcRemover tool?

I will mention some users whose knowledge I found interesting in order to create a thread explaining the process of fixing the CBHC brick in a "noob friendly" way:
    @Leeful @EyeKey @aut0mat3d @GraFfiX420 @Tommy084 @bluke @Kafluke @Brenex @CosmoCortney @QuarkTheAwesome

A lot of thanks in advance and sorry for anyone feel annoyed because I have been mentioned him, but it's because I think you can contribute information of value (even if they are mere warnings).

PS: English is not my mother tongue, sorry for any possible mistake

aut0mat3d likes this.
  2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I'm almost there buddy. I have most of the guide written. It's very simple if you have OTP.bin. You just make sure that otp.bin is in the same directory as the nandcbhcremover and your slc.bin. Then you run the command: nandCbhcRemover.exe slc.bin

At that point you flash back the slc.bin and CBHC is gone. You will of course need to have all the solder points soldered correctly. This post should get you started:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/looking...o-dump-a-kiosk-units-slc.474791/#post-7403398

Last edited by Kafluke, Jun 21, 2017
    aut0mat3d and Carlos_DobleC like this.
  3. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez Banned!

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Haven't you been saying that for a while now? When I wrote up my wii brick fixing tutorial, it only took me just a few hours and it was chock full of information, pictures, videos, and a whole lot more.

Carlos_DobleC likes this.
  4. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    By looking at the op. It doesn't seem he has the SLC.bin. only the otp.bin. they are wanting to unbrick with only the otp.bin.

5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    That's still fine. He can dump slc.bin using the teensy++ and the signal booster software and then fix it. As long as OP has OTP.bin its all good.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

True but when I first attempted it I jacked up a bunch of stuff because I had a shitting soldering iron and got splash all over. Had to clean all that up with braided wire and now I'm waiting for a new soldering iron tip to come in the mail.

Yeah I started this project a bit ago and wasn't quite prepared but that's why I'm doing it. If you feel you could do a faster or better job then by all means do one yourself. It's not like I'm getting paid to do this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Besides, this is much more complicated than a wii brick fix. I can promise you that. And the information is sparse and hard to find. There are several steps that aren't even mentioned in any of the unbricking threads on here.

6. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez Banned!

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I don't have a spare wii u that I can use just for techie stuff like how I did with my original wii otherwise I would have already done a tutorial by now.

It's just kinda irritating that you always chime in saying that you are working on a tutorial but never produce anything. You might want to just stop saying anything about it or put up whatever info you have into a new thread and then keep updating it as you collect more info and media.

Not trying to start a fight. I mean this in the most non offensive way that I can mean it.

7. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Carlos_DobleC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    Perfect then @Kafluke, I will be waiting for the release of your guide, in the meantime I'll look at the thread you told me to see what else I can get clear.

Thanks!

8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    But you'll notice that every time someone asks for clarification on the unbrick process I provide as much info as I have obtained on the subject. I had to hunt down those pics and by the time I had already soldered the wires @Leeful had changed the pics. When I had it all soldered up I then had to figure out had to flash the bootloader for the teensy. Turns out I had the wrong voltage regulator and my trace wasn't cut enough. Before that I had ordered the non signal booster edition of the teensy because the orginal info said to use SD adapter and not teensy. When the user started playing with the teensy it wasn't first mentioned that it had to be a teensy++ 2.0 until he had already successfuly completed the first unbrick.

This is what I'm trying to say. I'm attempting to compose and easy set of instructions with pics and direct step by step. As of this moment there is a lot of assumed knowledge on how to even use the teensy to flash anything.

I see your point though. It's hard not to chime in when I see someone asking a question that I have asked myself during this process and not give them the little info I have. Make them wait for my finished guide. I just don't know when that will be because I still haven't received my new soldering iron in the mail.

Well I'm not going to argue with people about it. I'll shut up. Won't say anything more on the subject until its complete. Sorry that you find me trying to help people irritating. You can say something offensive to someone and tagging it with "I mean this in the most non offensive way that I can mean it" doesn't validate it.

9. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez Banned!

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Sorry. I always come off as an asshole when I am not trying to be an asshole.

If you have got the money to spare I strongly suggest you invest in one of these. http://www.aoyue.com/en/pro/default.asp?id=309 or something similar. The Aoyue soldering tips get to full temp in less that 10 seconds as the heating element is in the tip. It was that puppy that I linked to that got me through hundreds of wii repairs very easily.

If you want, maybe I can collaborate with you to help you get some of the stuff together that you need like pics and shit. If you want to then PM me of everything that you need that you don't already have. I have followed those other threads rather closely so I know all that is needed to pull it off. My only difference is that I would use an infectus to read and write the NAND chip if I were to do a repair myself. Although I do have a teensy ++ 2.0, I don't feel very confident with the software that was written for it as I have seen enough users get shitty write and read errors, although that was more than likely just human error.

10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you want the honest to goodness truth here it is.

I have a great Hakko soldering iron but I only got one tip with it and I ruined it years ago. I knew it was bad but I tried to use it anyway. After ordering the wrong parts 3 times I was anxious to get the guide done. I purposefully bricked my Wii U and then tried to do the very micro soldering required. I jacked up those traces with my shitty tip and so I tried to solder the points to the nand chip itself. I made a mess of that and I don't even know if I will be able to clean that up.

I stopped at that point and realized that I need to order a new tip. The new tip is only a couple of bucks but I'm flat broke. I have 5 teenagers in my house and my bank acct is negative right now so a 3 dollar part will cost me 20+ bucks in overdraft fees. I have other things that take priority so when I get paid it's going to house payment and all my other bills landing me negative again. That's the real reason this is taking so long. I have all the steps. I have all the pics but I haven't been able to move forward with the project until I can find a way to order about 10 dollars in parts (I also had the wrong voltage regulator).

I don't usually mess up soldering jobs. I was just impatient and used a crappy tool. At this point I don't even know if the nand is salvageable. If not then I'll need to get my hands on another Wii U mobo. Maybe I'll find a cheap Wii U console at a pawn shop. Sheesh. Being poor sucks.

11. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    @Kafluke
    Turn your Wii U and see if it even boots up, if you messed up NAND pins or near them then you probably killed it off for good. Don't rush when you're doing this type of stuff, think.

12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yeah I know. I had an extra Wii U gathering dust so I wasn't stressed about it. I'm sure I can clean it up. I have lots of experience micro soldering. Enough to know better.

Felek666 likes this.
  13. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Last edited by Kafluke, Jul 7, 2017