[Help] Editing files in Cardfight Vanguard: Ride to Victory

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by szh, Feb 8, 2016.

1. szh
    OP

szh Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2009
    Senegal
    Hi,

I'm trying to modify the script of this game (to e.g. make a menu patch). I've decrypted the ROM using rxTools on a 4.5 3DS. I have the ExtractedBanner, ExtractedExeFS, and ExtractedRomFS folders, as well as the DecryptedExeFS.bin, DecryptedExHeader.bin, and DecryptedRomFS.bin files. Inside the ExtractedRomFS folder there is a script folder that looks like what I need. However, the files inside the folder have the .rtz extension. I've never seen the .rtz extension before, and a Google search didn't lead to any results.

Furthermore, I've found ctpk files that I know is a 3DS recognised file format. I've tried using https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ctpk-tool.379796/ to open them, but I get errors that they're not a valid CTPK file. When I open them in a hex editor (I used HxD), I don't see the CTPK header either.

Are all the files somehow still encrypted or compressed? How do I tell?

Thanks very much for any help! I'm really new to this.

Last edited by szh, Feb 8, 2016
  2. szh
    OP

szh Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2009
    Senegal
    Okay, so I found that ExtractedExeFS\.code.bin contains strings referencing the file locations (e.g. "script/worldmap.rtz"), so I don't think there are problems with the decryption process. I suppose .code.bin is the main code of the game.
    I guess the question now is how I can identify and open the .rtz files. Opening them in a hex editor didn't reveal anything special...I need something like a Japanese table or something?

Thanks for any help! T_T

3. Romsstar

Romsstar Operation Decoded

Sep 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Like with almost any game you are facing a format that was custom made for this game. In order to achieve what you want to achieve, someone has to reverse-engineer this format and write the appropriate tools for it. Tables aren't used nowadays anymore, at least in modern games they're not.

4. szh
    OP

szh Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2009
    Senegal
    hmm alright :( thanks!

Upon further digging, it seems like every single file (regardless of extension) contains a gzipped file with the exact same name. Removing the first 4 bytes allows extraction with any decompressing tool that supports gzip. For example, removing the first 4 bytes of worldmap.rtz and decompressing using gzip results in a file worldmap.rtz, which does seem like the file I want. That's some progress, at least...

Guess the Japanese part will come later :X

5. ulfred5000

ulfred5000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    Is there any chance you still have the decrypted file? If so could you please upload it as I don't want to buy another 3DS and don't have the appropriate tools for decrypting the ROM myself.

6. WannyTiggah

WannyTiggah Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2014
    Chile
    Asking for decrypted files is a no no.